“Take walking shoes!”

and up
Montpellier City Card
Ranked #5 of 137 things to do in Montpellier
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We went on one of the warmest days of our holiday and we struggled. Entrance to the park is free so I have no complaints about the cost! But the enclosures were so big and far apart that we seemed to spend longer slogging from enclosure to enclosure than looking at animals. The lion enclosure was so big we never saw a glimpse in twenty minutes. As far as we could tell, the only place to get a drink was at the entrance so take some water with you!
That said, the Amazonian Adventure was well laid out and well worth the price.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,930)
All reviews
"worth a trip"
"great restaurant"
"several hours"

Reviewed 25 February 2013

I visited the Park on a sunny Sunday. It was filled with families enjoying the outing. It is very child-friendly, and all the areas are well-marked. It is great for viewing the animals, taking pictures, or even sitting at the cafe enjoying the people having fun.

1  Thank MAHTorontoH
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We managed to navigate our way to the zoo this week and was impressed with the variety of the animals to see, some of the enclosures could have more grass for the animals to eat and less stones as part of their pastures, lots of walking but plenty of places to rest and picnic, reasonable price considering the size of the area and the number of exotic animals. Best to see the zoo in the Spring or Autumn, I can't imagine how hot it would be in the Summer. Easy to park and some great birds as you enter, I would go back again.

Reviewed 30 January 2013

I'm not sure what the other reviewers are looking for... I have been staying in Montpellier every summer for a number of years, but this fall was the first time that I ventured out to the zoo (even though it isn't all that far away). I liked it enough that I went 3 times, twice paying for admission to the Amazonian rainforest exhibit.

Yes, there is a lot of walking, but that's not a negative! In the fall, the zoo was incredibly quiet and peaceful, even though it is located fairly close to some busy roads. The zoo itself has a fair number of animals for a zoo of its size. The nature preserve that is part of the complex allows for walking, running, etc.

As for the signs, I'll agree that this could be improved. It's not always easy to find exactly what you're looking for. However, I also found it to be great fun just to walk along and discover what was ahead and to try to navigate using the supplied directional signs.

Personally, I enjoyed the fact that the animals were in a somewhat naturalistic setting. I liked walking along and discovering an enclosure that housed one (or several) species and being able to just stand and observe for as long as I wanted. Giraffes, wolves, bears, otters, monkeys, rhinos, lions, numerous species of birds, and other animals too numerous to name. Lots of baby animals born in the spring and summer.

I found it delightful...