“Delightfully maintained animal park”

Parc Zoologique Henri de Lunaret
Book In Advance
More Info
US$17.36*
and up
Montpellier City Card
Ranked #13 of 157 things to do in Montpellier
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a delight - the zoo is laid out in roaming areas according to the continents and you can see a host of wildlife in as close to natural conditions as possible. The main park is free of charge and covers several acres with picnic facilities. Across from the zoo is another openspace laid out with walking and jogging tracks so you can happily spend several hours exploring and getting fit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)
All reviews
"wandering around"
"great restaurant"
"several hours"

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place is so big and the animal enclosures are spaced far apart. You'll need to be prepared to walk kilometres and if you're pushing a stroller, it will be hard work. There's some pretty steep hills for tiring out your little one's legs as well as gravel paths which were tough going with the Maclaren pusher. The lion exhibit closes early and we were walking into it when the guards arrived and turned us around which given we were visiting from the other side of the planet - and they were 5 mins early - I thought this was poor form. This place needs golf cart hire really. I'm fit and I thought it was hard given the heat. I thought it was lacking in animals. One emu and one Bennett's Wallaby... Really! The rhinos were cool and I would go again just to show my kids these creatures. In comparison to other zoos I've seen in the world, its average with lots of opportunity. There was an emphasis on African 'goats' - what my kids were incorrectly calling all the antelope types. I suspect the real gem is the Serre at the zoo entrance which has a fee, but we were out of time to check it out. This zoo is free but I think they should charge entrance and use the money to improve facilities, interpretations, signage and animal populations.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went on one of the warmest days of our holiday and we struggled. Entrance to the park is free so I have no complaints about the cost! But the enclosures were so big and far apart that we seemed to spend longer slogging from enclosure to enclosure than looking at animals. The lion enclosure was so big we never saw a glimpse in twenty minutes. As far as we could tell, the only place to get a drink was at the entrance so take some water with you!
That said, the Amazonian Adventure was well laid out and well worth the price.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I visited the Park on a sunny Sunday. It was filled with families enjoying the outing. It is very child-friendly, and all the areas are well-marked. It is great for viewing the animals, taking pictures, or even sitting at the cafe enjoying the people having fun.

1  Thank MAHTorontoH
See more reviews
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We managed to navigate our way to the zoo this week and was impressed with the variety of the animals to see, some of the enclosures could have more grass for the animals to eat and less stones as part of their pastures, lots of walking but plenty of places to rest and picnic, reasonable price considering the size of the area and the number of exotic animals. Best to see the zoo in the Spring or Autumn, I can't imagine how hot it would be in the Summer. Easy to park and some great birds as you enter, I would go back again.