All reviews no frills hotel room breakfast room old town fantastic location continental style main square central location street parking walking distance train station easy walk short break clean rooms city break shower centre
Reviewed June 27, 2017

The hotel room was a bit sparse, but perfectly comfortable and clean. The location is amazing - as central as can be. We made use of their parking arrangement too - a secure car park, just in the road behind. I just requested parking in the message box at the time of booking and almost immediately got a reply from the hotel to set this up - very simple, and much less stress than trying to find somewhere to park so close to the centre. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2017

I have stayed in many Accor/Ibis hotels over the years and this was a pretty average facility with little to commend it apart from its excellent town centre location. We stepped off the Eurostar train and apparently arrived about an hour before the official check-in. This is not normally a problem in most big hotels and we were duly sent up to our room only to find the beds unmade, last night's sheets still ruffled from the previous occupant, dirty towels and interesting souvenirs such as empty cardboard pizza boxes in the bathroom! What an awful way to begin a trip and what a negative first impression to give to a normally loyal Accor customer! We abandoned our cases and adjourned to a local cafe while waiting for our room to be cleaned but why were we sent to a room that was not ready in the first place? The ground floor reception area was small and uninviting and there was an unpleasant all-pervasive smell of dampness (or worse!) throughout the hotel corridors and in our bathroom. The hotel felt as though every expense had been spared and looked pretty cheap and nasty. As others have noted, its location is the best feature but I can't help feeling that it has been neglected because the company knows people will pay to be close to the town's shopping centre and its other main facilities. We will not be returning despite its excellent central location.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2017

Compact rooms, but everything you need for a short break: comfy bed, good lighting, desk, TV (Euronews in Italian and German , no English), fast WiFi, plenty of hot water from efficient shower, squeezy gel on walls by basin and shower, plenty of towels, heating/aircon. Small amount of hanging space and cubbyholes for drawers.Thought we'd do without the breakfast, but it is quite a feast for 9E+ in the split-level dining room. Always someone on reception.

We were lucky with the weather at the beginning of April, still rather chilly but very sunny.We visited the Palais des Beaux Arts and went to the flea market on Sunday morning - some bargains if you root around.We travelled one stop on the Metro and walked back to the centre. A charming, vibrant city with beautiful buildings and well worth a visit. Look out for the £29 each way offers on Eurostar.

A lovely four-night break and we look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Singles 211 and 411. 411 by breakfast room so early-morning disturbance and a workroom opposite. But good side views.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank luxurylover28
Reviewed November 28, 2016

My wife, baby and I spent a night at this hotel. Its location is fantastic, as it is a few steps away from the Grand Place, and is right along the shopping street. Longchamp is across the hotel, while Swatch, Louis Vuitton and Lacoste boutiques are close by.

The hotel's location, however, is rather inconvenient for those with cars. As we drove to Lille, I had to double-park at a small square a few meters down the road. There is no space to even double-park in front of the hotel, as it is along a one-lane, one-way street, with no parking slots along the street. I was rather worried that my car would be towed as it was not really allowed to leave one's car at that small square.

Moreover, the hotel offers a nearby garage, but you have to pay for 24 hours coinciding with your hotel reservation - 12 noon of the day of reservation until 12 noon of the following day. This did not work for us as we arrived around 22:00.

We had previously stayed at an ibis Styles hotel which is also confusingly named the ibis Styles Lille Centre Grand Place. The ibis (not Styles) is more conveniently located, and offers a good deal as the room rate automatically includes breakfast. It was a proper breakfast at that, complete with cold cuts and not just a continental breakfast. The parking option at ibis Syles was also very convenient, as there is a garage directly across that hotel with slots reserved for the hotel. On the downside, the ibis Styles hotel does not have air-conditioning, so it is not advisable during the hot summer months, and the rooms are much smaller than the regular ibis hotel.

I parked at the Nouveau Siecle garage beside the Lille National Orchestra, which offers very reasonable rates. The garage charges hourly rates, but caps it at EUR 11.80 for 12-24 hours of parking. You then pay for 12-hour tranches after 24 hours. Be warned, however, that when the Christmas market is on, this garage will be full. I suggest that you reserve a parking slot through the garage's web site, unless you arrive around 22:00 as we did. As the Christmas market is only open until 22:00, you will probably be able to find vacant slots at this time. I came across several available parking slots even though the garage sign indicated that it was still full ("Complet").

I had requested for a quiet room, and was given a nice, spacious room on the 5th floor. There was more than enough space for our large stroller, which is often not the case in many ibis hotels. The bathroom was also quite spacious.

What I didn't like about the room was the bed, whose thin upper mattress did not stay in place on top of the bed itself, and slid around easily. There was also no surface on which to place one's luggage, which I have found in all the other ibis hotels I've stayed at.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel. I just bought breakfast at the McDonald's which is just a few minutes away on the Grand Place.

All in all, this is a well-located hotel, but be warned if you are driving to Lille as the parking options are not very convenient.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Invictus5930
Reviewed November 15, 2016

Small hotel and lacks services - no bar/restaurant. This is a shame as it would be nice to relax in the hotel after a days sightseeing etc.
Beds are small too and not the excellent sweet beds advertised by Ibis and available at other Ibis hotels.
Accor silver card holders don't benefit from free drink offered in other Ibis hotels....even though there is no bar, there is a price list at reception for soft drinks and coffees. I was charged for two coffees one morning even with the silver card.

The last time we were there, there was a strong smell of paint thoughout the hotel and there seemed to be a lot of refurbishment going on. I didn't see any sign of this even though I read that there was further works in 2016!
I think the rooms vary in size and quality which probably means that we didn't get the best room....I'm sure we had a better room the last time......although to be fair they did accomodate our request for a bath...although not the street view we hoped for.
Reception staff are pleasant and professional.
As for price and location, I'm sure these are hard to beat. Perfect location in the centre of town and lots of shops/restuarants on your doorstep. So despite my comments, I do think it is value for money and I would recommend this hotel for a short stay in Lille. Next time I would ask for a balcony room on the top floor.

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor balcony room!
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple