“Lovely little restaurant ”
Review of La Rapiere

La Rapiere
Ranked #1 of 103 Restaurants in Bayeux
Price range: US$37 - US$70
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: In the heart of Bayeux, La Rapiere is a warm and traditionnal restaurant, with a food that we try every day to raise to offer you high standard meals. Please note : bookings are highly recommended, we don't accept pets, and unfortunately we don't have vegan options.
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

A little jewel of a restaurant tucked away on a side street in beautiful Bayeux. Exceptionally cooked food and served by the friendliest staff we have met on this trip to Normandy. White table linen and pristine throughout. The desserts were to die for. Would definitely recommend La Rapiere.

1  Thank Baldy-Biker
Write a ReviewReviews (1,290)

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner here in March. It is a small wonderful restaurant with an emphasis on quality and taste. The service was done by two woman who were professional while still being warm, kind and courteous. The cuisine was a feast for the eyes and a delight for the palate. I would go back in a New York second but it is a long haul from Twin Bridges, Montana.

1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed April 2, 2018

'We are sorry to tell you that the restaurant is fully booked this evening.'

So read the note pinned in the window of La Rapiere just off the main restaurant drag of Rue Saint Jean. There are only two rooms that hold a maximum of 40 people in part of a mediaeval building but I was feeling smug because I had booked well before we even set off for France because La Rapiere comes highly recommended and rightly so.

Linda Boulet is very much front of house providing a warm smile, great English and a fantastic set menu which is as good value as it is lip smackingly delicious. The set menus are named after the three musketeers, Athos, Porthos and Aramis although there is no place for D'Artagnan, who is probably considered far too fiery for anything other than an Indian dish, and this is classic Normandy cuisine.

The Athos menu that we chose from that evening offered three starters: six local oysters, a goat's cheese salad with pine nuts and a pistou dressing which is like a coarse guacamole but made of grated plum tomatoes, basil leaves, garlic and Mimolette- a French cheese similar to Gouda, or a lightly poached egg with creamed spinach, bechamel sauce and crispy slivers of Emmenthal cheese.

But before the starters up comes a tiny bowl of creamed cauliflower and celeriac soup with freshly baked bread just to ease the taste buds into things.

I always like restaurants with small menus as invariably it is good fresh food cooked for the customer after he or she has ordered it rather than prepared hours in advance and whacked in a microwave or cooked straight from a pre-prepared packet.

The choice of main courses was pollock in citrus fruits or breast of chicken stuffed with smoked chicken in a white butter sauce. The chicken was surrounded by baby vegetables, with small dabs of creamed potato topped with a baby onion or tiny cut of turnip or carrot.

It was unlike most chicken one eats these days that only tastes of whatever sauce it comes with. The smoked chicken stuffing helped intensify the flavour but this was a full, flavoursome fowl. We had a bottle of Muscadet as the wine list is extensive and quite pricey as well as a big bottle of sparkling water.

With cheeses, a selection of three local regional cuts, or a dessert from the à la carte for dessert the €36 charged per head on the Athos menu was sensational value given the quality of he food. You can also enjoy, and I most certainly did, three small tasting classes of differently aged Calvados, the warm, smoky toffee flavoured apple liqueur of Normandy.

With coffee and drinks to start he bill came to under €110 and for a similar meal in London one would be looking to pay that per head. It was a great evening in a restaurant with a terrific atmosphere. This page asks me if the menu is expensive, but I do not think it is, given how much we enjoyed our meal. I think it is terrific and would recommend you all to try it. Just remember to book well in advance.

3  Thank Golfing-Steve
Reviewed March 29, 2018 via mobile

We had dinner there tonight and found it to be an outstanding fine dining restaurant. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was great. I had a soft egg etc entree which was beautiful followed by chicken which was good. My wife had fish described as Pollock which I think is another name for Atlantic cod and she loved it. We would come again and recommend .

1  Thank Foodandwin
Reviewed March 27, 2018

We have been coming to this restaurant since approximately 1992 and the standards never change, despite the changes in management. The current owners offer a modern style of French cooking and the food is superb. Our latest visit was on a Tuesday lunchtime to celebrate our wedding anniversay. Monday to Saturday the lunch menu is considerably cheaper than the evening menu at 16 euros for 2 courses or 21 euros for three. We both had the croustilant de pavé d'Isigny which was a tube of creamy Isigny cheese and parma ham in a filo pastry wrapping on a bed of lettuce and apple. For main we had the lemon sole meuniere with steamed potatoes and a superb broccoli flan. My husband had the trio of cheeses which were just at the right temperature (unlike some places where the cheese has come straight from the fridge and is too cold to enjoy the flavour) and I had the chocolate fondant with a lovely "oozy" centre served with vanilla ice cream. A very enjoyable lunch for a reasonable price.

3  Thank commesienne
larapierebayeux, Gérant at La Rapiere, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2018

thank you so much for your kind review ;)))
we'll be always pleased to see you again,
very kind regards,