“Quiet Stay in Caen”
Review of Hotel Crocus

Hotel Crocus
Ranked #26 of 41 Hotels in Caen
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Having stayed at the Mercure , just down the road , decided to stay closer to the Peace Museum, short walk ,away and near a terminus for the single decker bus to Caen . Ideally sited for the different day trips out by car to the coast , and for using the sports centre close by too , just bring your raquets . Breakfast and also the dinner were very well presented , various menus during the week . Pleasant hotel to stay .

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kenbainbridge

Reviewed 3 November 2011

We spent our last night in France in this hotel. When we walked in our first thoughts were that it looked OK.
Unfortunately the bedrooms left a lot to be desired - the sheets on the bed were clean but the blankets were disgusting. The bed was really uncomfortable and we spent a really awful last night there.
Very disappointing.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank adriennelw
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Hotel reception/bar dirty, bar maid/waitress showing thrush like symptoms with constant scratching of vaginal area while serving drinks. Iam not very tall @ 5'8 but I kept banging head on ceiling in bathroom which was very clean prob because most people need a hard hat to enter.our room was clean with different hight joining beds so as I rolled over in night I would fall down to next level to cuddle wife.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank jonesycab
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Three of us needed a base to operate around the Normandy Attractions, and this provided a perfect location. We stayed 7 nights and parking was occasionally an issue. Most nights we ate in the restaurant. Sometimes we had to dealy eating because it was full but at no time did we not eat because of it. Drinks were limited and somewhat expensive.
Rooms were very basic but you get what you pay for. We all slept acceptably well but the rooms do have thin walls and there is a lot of internal noise if the wrong crowd are in. Didnt care for the blanket and sheet arrangement, expecting quilts on the continent! I had a double room to myself [wife didnt come] and my two mates had a triple. neither room was blessed with spare floor area.
Free Wireless hook-up was acceptable but dont expect to watch movies with it as it is too slow for that.
All in all I woudl rank the hotel just below travellodge standard for the UK, its main advantages being price and location and I would recommend it for your base of a beaches tour.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 June 2011

On arrival on June 8th 2011 for a 4 night pre-booked stay, I was told that, owing to the arrival of a large coach party, there was no room available for me, and I had been transferred to the nearby B. and B. Hotel, which is a similar standard. It wasn't. I spent the first night of my 4 night booking in a small concrete cell, 'sleeping' on a thin mattress, on a wooden baseboard.
The receptionist at the B.and B. told me this happens frequently - the Crocus accepts bookings from large coach parties and then attempts to transfer other pre-booked travellers to the B. and B.Hotel.
The bad treatment was made worse when the Crocus said I was to pay them at their rate, for the other hotel - which I refused to do.
On my return to the Crocus the next day (the B. and B. hotel had no rooms available for my other 3 nights anyway) I was given an free upgrade, and apologies for the inconvenience.
However, I could not get a meal in the hotel restaurant because it was full. (A second coach party had arrived.)
The coach parties tend to be noisy; the bedroom walls are thin, and with adjoining doors, a peaceful night's sleep cannot be guaranteed.
If you are a solo traveller, your booking, and your stay at the hotel, will take second place to the frequent coach parties that arrive. Unnacceptable.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RGreen046
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Stayed here for just one night en route for the loire valley. Very difficult to find - Caen signposts are some of the worst in the world. Print directions !
We arrived late and asked the hotel to leave the keys in the room which they did without problem. Room was very small - the smallest loo/shower I've ever seen. However, all was clean and efficient, but I would not describe the hotel as having any charm.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Stayed here for one night on our way to the D-day beaches. Very convenient to get to, and almost walking distance to the Caen Memorial. Hotel was clean, wi-fi was fast and efficient, and bathroom, though small, was spotless. Staff all spoke English, and the breakfast was good and worth the price. We were able to eat breakfast even though it had ended fifteen minutes before. I would stay here again if I was going through Normandy. The walls were a bit thin (group of teenagers was staying there and I could hear them going up and down the halls and in their room -- next to ours), but overall good value.

• Stayed: July 2010