“Nice hotel”

Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Deauville
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed there for a sales meeting
The place is very nice in old style
Rooms are big and clean, the only bad point i was without shower cabin just a tub
The breakfast is nice with large choice of quality food
The staff is fantastic, very helpful and willing to make sure you fell home and special
The location is great specially if you want to walk on the beach or on the planches
The morning jogging was a nice experience

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear Greg L,

Thank you for your comments.

I'm happy to see you had a good stay with us ans I hope to welcome you again at the Royal

G Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at The Royal Barriere, I thought of writing a long and detailed review but, it all boils down to this, the hotel is living on a reputation gained 30 or 40 years ago, the place is tired both inside and out, with the exception of the concierge staff and the guys that look after the cars, the service is woeful.

The level of service deteriorates as the day goes on and the bar staff seem to have much more interesting things to do than serve customers.

This is the only 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in that has a buffet breakfast, so it's cold and uninspiring.

The food has some highlights, but in the main is overpriced and dull.

If you visit Deauville try somewhere else and avoid disappointment, because you will be checking in 40 years too late.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ReidCarson
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Dear ReidCarson,
Thank you very much for your comments, I am very disappointed to hear that you did not appreciate your stay at the Royal Barriere.
The Hotel is celebrating is 100years and is an historical place.
We do mix history with modern.
However, we do spend a very big amount of money on renovating the building.
The outside of the Hotel has been renovated this year including the balconies for 450 000euros.
The lobby of the Hotel has been completely renovated as well as the bar, the gastronomic restaurant and knows a big success.
And from June 2012, two rooms will be refurbished as display for some futur renovations which are planned for this winter.
I am surprised that only the concierge staff, and our drivers pleased you and I will see each of my head of departments and will take sanctions against them to make sure this will not happen!
Our customer service is really important to me and I do not tolerate when this is not done properly.
I do not know what to say regarding your comments on our restaurants as our guests have so many compliments regarding the breakfast
and others .But I will personnally meet my Food and Beverage Manager to see what went wrong and make sure this will not happen ever again!!!
So, I can say, that is not the usual standard of the Royal and I do hope this will not damage your opinion and trust that you put in me and my staff
for your next visit.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 days and enjoyed my stay, there were no quirks with the place but it was just the general expense of Deauville that makes it difficult to rate a place 5 stars here. Deauville is SO expensive and this hotel is no exception. I had room service one night which was a glass of wine and a piece of lamb and it cost €49. Strewth!

The room was really really nice, the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was huge and kept at a very high temperature. All accessories were included like robe, gels etc. There is a large bath with a nice asset that is a lion that pours water into the middle. A separate shower and 2 wash basins.

The breakfast is OK. The hotel was very busy at the time so I had to keep asking for fresh food to be brought out, it tasted good though so not really a complaint.

My room was approx €240 a night so I have to be overwhelmed to be giving a 5 star at this rate- I was just happy and satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Royal obviously is trying to retain some sort of old school style of luxury. I found the room a bit cramped and cold. The food was very expensive, but I don't count that against the Royal since that is obviously what you are looking for when you stay at a Barriere property. Unfortunately I was here during the winter so it was very hard to tell what the hotel would feel like with more hustle and bustle. However, they were doing some maintenance which was irritating at times. But, I must understand that this is the season to keep the property updated. I am back in Deauville again now though and it is funny because the same scaffolding that was up last year is still up today!
The gym opens rather late if one happens to be into that. But I used the long mornings reading and enjoyed the fantastic (for Europe) breakfast. The bar wasn't open very late, but again this is likely to it being off season.
I found it to be overpriced for what it was. Yet, if you are coming to Deauville, you likely are not hurting for $. The view from my room was a street view, but if you really tried you could see some ocean.
All in all, it is a cool experience. But this year I chose a much cheaper hotel that I like just as much and is right around the corner.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2012

Dear 4projectmayhem,

First, I would like to thank you for chosing the Hotel Royal in the first place.
Then, I do understand your concern regarding the food but to be honest I do not understand as our restaurants are closed
as well as the Hotel from beginning of November to beginning of March. We open for groups and meetings only not individuals.
This is why we do have some works onsite. This year, we are doing the right wing and last year, we have done the left.
But not the same side. The works are usually over before the Opening in March.
Regarding, the prices, it must be the bar, it is our concern to have the same value as our standards, which is a Five star Hotel, part of Leading Hotels of The World.

I wish this replies to your comments and I do hope to see you at The Royal Barrière during the Season, when everything here comes to life.

Reviewed 1 October 2011

Many travellers like the Royal for its old world charm and location. Both valid points. As for me, these are the only points. After a wonderful reception by Julien at the front desk. We were shown to our very warm "sea view" room, which was in fact located overlooking an apartment block, beyond which if you crane your neck you may see the sea. The bed was comfortable enough, but the bathroom was quite sterile and poorly equipped. One bath towel per person and a bottle of liquid soap attached to the wall of the shower. 2 star amenities at 5 star prices. The room warmed up progressively during the day due to the fact that there was no air conditioning -- sleeping was close to impossible because the only way from keeping the light from the adjacent apartments streaming into the room is by closing the plastic shutters, killing any air flow. After a very poor night's sleep we went down to the pool, which was relatively empty at 11 am. The attendant informed us that all of the loungers were taken. Imagine that, a 5 star hotel where the lounge chairs are pre-reserved - and - cost € 30 for the day. Unbelievable. Our jaws dropped. In my travels around the world, I have never encountered a pool at a 5 star hotel that does not, at the least, allocate two chairs per room, free of charge! At check out, when asked if we enjoyed our stay, the answer was a resounding "no". We just wanted to get out of there, but upon hearing our dissatisfaction the desk clerk called the duty manager who called the general manager -- again, we really did not want to have the conversation and listen to vague apologies. Things got a bit out of hand when the general manager started his response about the pool policy with "The problem is...." We did not want to hear about the problems of the hotel management. We came to this hotel to not have problems, to not hear about other people's problems, and to not have to deal with management's ineptitude. There was the option of the beach - where it should come as no surprise that the hotel has no amenities available (parasols, loungers, towels....) - but there was a science-fiction like infestion of flies that made sitting in the sand impossible. The Royal has been sitting on its laurels way too long, and they have faded. Luckily, there are an increasing number of upscale options available in Deauville. A number of boutique hotels have opened which are lovely - so one can avoid the Barrière empire if planning ahead is an option.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank voyageur à paris
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2011

Dear Voyageur à Paris,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing the Royal Barrière for your recent stay in Deauville and take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback you shared with us and for the kind words regarding Julien our receptionist
We have experienced very high temperatures during your stay at the Royal which made the delights of our October’s guests. We also have made fans available to our guests inconvenienced by the heat so you should have let us know and we would have done the same for you.
You booked for a superior mer room which is a partial sea view because it is located on the side of the hotel.
Regarding the complimentary set of product available in your room, i am very confused with your remarks since we offer in addition to the ultimate hair and body gel in the soap dispenser, make up remover, shampoo, shower gel, sugar bath, Hermès eau de toilette… Again, our housekeeper is at your disposal if you need additional products during your stay.
Concerning your « poor night’s sleep », we could have put some blackout curtains in order to keep the shutters opened without the light’s inconvenience, if you have let us know.
The access to our pool is totally free but we are renting lounge chairs 20 euros a day and this cost was also reviewed in october which was 15 euros for the whole day. The price include the pool attendant service, a solar cream, refreshing towels and a fruit’s granita twice a day. Our lounger can only be reserved day by day directly with the pool attendant. We only have 80 loungers for more than 400 guests when the hotel is fully booked, for that reason we can‘t allocate two chairs per room.
On your departure, you mentioned you lack of satisfaction and for that reason the desk clerk called the front office assistant manager in order to receive your comments and then called the deputy manager. The entire team pledges to provide each of its guests with excellent service and we are sorry to have failed on this occasion.
I am sorry that these unexpected matters marred your visit and we do hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that these incidents do not reflect the high standards of service we provide.

I hope i will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon,

Reviewed 12 August 2011

The Royal Barriere is by far the best hotel in beautiful Deauville. The hotel is a palace hotel a la francaise with some beautiful contemporary touches. The lobby, bar, and restaurants are wonderful,the atmosphere distuinguished,and the rooms gorgeous. Also the piano player is among the best in any hotel we have been to.
It s a five star luxury hotel all the way with exemplary service and very skilled concierges. We loved the Royal,and Deaville and will definitely be back soon.Its sister hotel Normandy is good as well but the Royal is much better and in a different league.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2011

Dear TravelfanCapri,

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and its services! Thank you very much for sharing your impressions.

Thank you very much as well for congratulating the concierge team and Mario our piano player. I have shared your words with them and thanked them for their outstanding service. Personalised service to our guests is very important to us and we are proud that Dominique Ferron, the Head Concierge and his team met these goals.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back to Deauville and hope that we will see you at the Royal Barrière!

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Lucky us that we spent only 24hr in your Royal, I cannot imagine what other misfortune would have crossed our way if we’d stay longer…

Arrived on August 1st at12hr, our room wasn’t ready, the reception clerk informed us that check in is at 15:00hr, and she asked for our mobile phone Nr “to alert you when the room will be ready…”

We thought to “wait” in the pool area till the room will be tied, but… it cost €15-30/person to access the pool (not really mentioned on the site… During stays at the Hotel Royal Barriere guests may take advantage of the private pool and the fitness centre, as well as bicycles available to ride round Deauville in complete freedom…

After lunch (14:30hr), we came back; the room wasn’t ready and reception informed us that it will not be ready before 15:30 though, we had been told check-in time was at 15:00 (couldn’t find such basic info on the Web site), lucky us Tiphaine was here, she changed the original room allocation and conducted us immediately to our room, we appreciated that (unique) positive welcoming.
The room 546, is nice, well situated with nice view…
Walking into the bathroom, we were welcomed by several black hairs (my wife is blond) lying on the sink as well as around the bath, and when using the shower the clogged shower system sprinkled all around…
“Enjoying” creaking? it’s the right place, each and every hinges in that room, creaks, unbelievable! The Royal maintenance didn’t hear about the fact that from time to time you need to grease the hinges…

Late afternoon we decided to enjoy a five O’clock coffee in the little garden, good plan, the weather was great and the plan was perfect, but… the waiter service was so amateur, so slow, forgetting the paper- napkins (after a reminder), making two mistakes on the bill and the best was when another waiter came to clean the restaurant windows, spraying his blue smelly liquid almost on our cakes, what a treat!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MDWaysman
RDdirection, Directeur général at Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Dear MDWaysman

I apologize for the bad experience you had at the Royal Barrière during your stay in Deauville. I am utterly embarrassed about the situation we put you in and apologize for the inconvenience it caused to you.
Following your mail and fax, i sent you an answer to all those unexpected matters and hopefully you will take advantage of the offer I made.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that these incidents do not reflect the high standards of service we provide.

I am very much looking forward to welcome you back to Deauville,

Laurent Roussin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deauville
0.3 km away
Les Manoirs de Tourgeville
#1 of 1 in Tourgeville
1.1 km away
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Cures Marines Trouville Hotel Th...
#2 of 15 in Trouville-sur-Mer
16.3 km away
Hotel les bains de Cabourg
0.5 km away
Augeval Hotel
Augeval Hotel
#4 of 27 in Deauville

Been to Hotel Barriere Le Royal Deauville? Share your experiences!