See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel St James for 3 nights and have mixed feelings by our experience.
We had major languge problems as we only speak very basic french, and felt that the owner who was always there (so we had no one else to help us) did not go out of his way at all to be helpful. The wifi did not work for the 3 days and by interpretation with other guests he did not care! Also very hard to get advice on where to park the car, resturants and some guidence on what to do in the area etc. Thank goodness for tripadvisor and Lonely Planet.
This is a small 9 room hotel in a quiet location close to the beach, cafe's restaurants and the Casino. It is a 5 minute walk to the restaurants on the river. There is no lift only stairs and an inclinator on which to sit or put your bag. We were not offered assistance with our bags.

We stayed in a superior room at the front of the hotel for 130 Euro's per night, room only, (breakfast is extra), which did not have a walk out balcony, and it was clean bright and airy, decor in the room was lovely and had a very comfortable king sized bed.
The bathroom was spacious and clean with a super sized walk in shower with 2 shower heads but did not have any toiletries.
Car parking is a problem in peak season and the seagulls leave a huge mess on your car, beware, I don't think they ever sleep.

All in all I would only recommend this hotel to people who speak French, otherwise you receive no assistance which was a dissappointment as hotel itself is very nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lindadownunder
Reviewed August 4, 2013

What can I say?
What a great quaint hotel smack in the middle of Trouville but on a quiet street
Only "noise" are the seagulls that don't seem to sleep :)
As always we searched TripAdvisor for hotel in Normandy
Saint James came up loud and clear
Emailing with Nicolas was easy and we "sealed the deal" in a few days
Arriving in the evening , Christian came out to greet us and he helped us up to our room with our luggage
I truly believe that Christian is a major reason for Saint James being #1 in Trouville.
Every Hotel needs one
We took the superior room and we stayed on second floor in room 8
With windows on both sides we had great air, except for one night during a heat wave.
Bed is comfortable (we slept late...)
Bathroom/showeer are new and fantastic
No air conditioning but no surprises here
Breakfast is classic French
Orange juice
Coffee
Pastries, butter and jam
All served by Christian (this guy is great!!!)
If ever in Trouville look them up, I will!!!

Room Tip: Superior room have windows on two sides giving more air
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danny_il
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I spent three nights at the hotel, occupying the top-floor suite. The manager made every effort to accommodate me, even assisting with parking at this very busy time of the season. Rooms were clean and well maintained, and the continental breakfasts delicious. Need to mention two reservations, 1) no separate shower and 2) need for a large fan, since the afternoon sun warmed up the room. Overall though, a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Richard H
Reviewed June 3, 2013

A friend in Trouville booked this reservation for me in this charming 9 room jewel in the very heart of Trouville for a long weekend visit. The property is absolutely charming, and beautifully decorated. You enter into a warm and welcoming lobby, and the manager of the property is quite friendly and helpful. My room was on the second floor (beware, no elevator), and it was as charming as the rest of the property. The walls and ceiling were covered in toile and the large king bed was a delightful surprise. A beautiful antique armoire served as the closet, and the window was double insolated to lock out the street noise at night. Fortunately, the neighborhood is quite residential and quiet, and the only time I was awakened was early morning by a seagull.
A beautiful continental breakfast is served, either in your room or in the lobby area. (14 euro supplement). I think it's a very romantic place for couples and superb location for touring both Trouville and Deauville.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side to have a quieter rooms. While the front rooms have a step out balcony, I would be concerned about noise from passing cars.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AtlStew
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and our 2 year old son stayed here for 2 nights in May 2013. We enjoyed the hotel very much. It has a very comfortable feel of home. We actually discussed that it felt more like we were guests in someone's home than in a hotel. There was a breakfast of coffee, juice and breads each morning. Neither of us speak very good French, but we were able to get by with common phrases and lots of patience from the hotel owner/manager. :) The parlor downstairs is a really nice place to sit in the evenings to unwind with a drink by the fireplace. The location of the hotel is very convenient to the beach and to many shops and restaurants. The hotel is about a 90 minute drive to the American Cemetery and D-Day memorial site in Colleville-Sur-Mer...which we visited one morning. The rooms are a average-to-large by European standards..and in excellent condition. The location is excellent. The proprietor is extremely friendly. For a small, boutique hotel stay, I would highly recommend the Hotel Saint James. The only difficulty we had was with a very active 2 year old. :) At times we definitely felt out of place trying to keep the calm atmosphere of this hotel as our son tried to jump, run and climb everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family