“A remarkable restaurant in a pretty town”
Review of La Fleur de Sel

La Fleur de Sel
Ranked #6 of 183 Restaurants in Honfleur
Price range: US$37 - US$72
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2015

Looking for a decent lunch in Honfleur we found this little gem in a side street.

There are a couple of set menus but the four-course 50€ menu looked interesting. The four courses actually became six courses with the addition of an amuse bouche and petit fours.

The lamb in a tangine style was exceptionally good, with a full range of individually identifiable flavours. The chocolate pudding with coconut sorbet was astonishingly good.The service was very good too.

Reviewed September 4, 2014

We chose this restaurant because of its Michelin Bib award and the Michelin glowing review in the 2014 Guide.
We reserved in advance and arrived as the first clients at 19.15 . Our reception was lukewarm and, from the outset, the service was distinctly unprofessional, with two very young and inexperienced assistants in the charge of a more experienced but disinterested manager.
We come now to the food and the restricted choice of menus and wines.
There are essentially 4 fixed menus: 30/40/50 and 60 euros. We chose two 30 euros and one 60 euro. The amuse-bouche were good, the bread good, the wine expensive but good but the food generally tasteless and without any of that explosion of taste which characterises a good Menu.
The bill was inaccurate, to our advantage, but although we pointed out that a bottle of wine at 48 euros had been omitted from the bill,and the new bill was presented and paid, we still left the restaurant without so much as a Bonsoir or any acknowledgement of our custom.
Overall, good presentation, poor service, unlike Michelin's description of "service impeccable" and a meal which failed to deliver at any level :how disappointing, or, in my husband' swords, "rubbish!"

2  Thank MED41
Reviewed August 27, 2014

utterly delicious. I had the 30 euro set menu and it was amazing.incredible value. attentive but not intrusive service. friendly, buzzy atmosphere. you'll need to book as understandably its very busy.

Reviewed July 31, 2014

This restaurant is supposed to have a creative touch and has been rewarded with a BiB-gourmand. These features made us book a table here. How disappointing it was! Apparently we could only book a 4course diner instead of a la carte (not sure if this is actually true but no other options have been given). I had a starter with goat cheese 'nougat', expected some creative twist but it was just a simple mixture of cheese mashed with nuts and some ham along the side, nothing was actually cooked or prepared, just 'put together', reminded me of students' 'cuisine'. My partner had marinated cod, way too salty and sour. Main course for me was dorade with calamar and chorizo. Though the fish was prepared very well, the combination was very straightforward. I would have expected baked crumbs of chorizo but it was just some plain slices of chorizo next to the fish. The calamares was tough and the pea-mousse was heavy. I had to indicate which dessert I wanted before I got my main course, when I was not sure yet if I even wanted a dessert. One of the young waiters didn't manage to speak or understand English, which seems very strange to me when you want to work in hospitality in a tourist area. Overall: a 'wannabe' place which does not live up to the positive reviews on tripadvisor and michelin.

1  Thank Stephaniesays V
Reviewed July 23, 2014

It is so pleasing when every box is ticked perfectly. The service was spot on - attentive and helpful, fluent English if needed and happy to plug away with my rubbish French when I tried. Very attractive design, modern and calm - quite an antidote to the busy streets. And plenty of space at and between tables. Food was superb, with the tuna carpaccio and melon, pork steak and turbot stand out stars. A wonderful place I can highly recommend.