All reviews top floor steam room fresh flowers home away from home boutique hotel cours mirabeau quiet street living room private home dinner reservations no elevator the perfect place to stay squeezed orange juice lovely boutique breakfast was delicious old city spa area
Reviewed July 19, 2018

My daughter and I had a wonderful visit to Aix-en-Provence and La Maison d'Aix was the perfect boutique hotel. Antoine provided amazing service. He was incredibly friendly and was happy to speak French with us because he knew we wanted to try even though my French is far from perfect and he speaks English beautifully. The room was a wonderful accommodation with a very nice bed and bath tub. We were close to the main shopping and dining areas but it was quiet enough that we were not bothered by noise. Antoine prepared a fantastic breakfast and we really enjoyed the food. Driving directly to the hotel yourself is not easy (especially for us because it was Bastille Day) but we found a parking garage nearby and the hotel is happy to help you with parking. It is also easy to get a taxi or ride service. We would highly recommend La Maison d'Aix!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

We were staying for a couple of weeks in St Remy and decided to say overnight in Aix. This was a great hotel. An oasis from the chaos (including roadworks and tourists) of Aix. Very comfortable and stylish boutique hotel. Small tasteful spa area and lovely breakfast room. Also delicious breakfast. Camille was very friendly and helpful host.

1  Thank Janabai1
Reviewed July 12, 2018

What se love about Small hotel is their so personnalized service. Everything se could asked was done. Antoine is incredible ! His knowledge, his sense or details are amazing. We are used to travel a lot à round thé wolrld but we definitely coule give a special mention to the maison d’aix !
The breakfast was perfect, we asked for some specials and aAntoine anticipated all ouf needs.
Location cannot be beaten ! Bravo ! And the hotel itself is a pure gem.

Reviewed July 10, 2018

Below are the pros and cons and you can decide for yourself. Let's start with the Cons:

1. NOT A “HOTEL”: this is not a hotel in the traditional sense - it’s at best an upscale bed and breakfast or an Airbnb. The owner is renting 4 rooms in a “house”. You are given an access code to enter / leave. As far as we could tell there are two people on staff (one was out on vacation when we were there) who does literally everything. They set up shop in the dining area - which is your “hotel reception”. Their advertising can be confusing, some examples below (I am attaching a picture snapshot from their website):

*Bar and Lounge (which is ... corner of the kitchen and the refrigerator in the kitchen)

*VIP concierge (which is ... one of the two people on staff if they are not out / busy picking up groceries/breakfast for next day or running various other errands for the hotel/house. I had to call a number they provided a few times to get hold of a live person. To their credit the response was fast, but not what you would expect a full service "VIP concierge" to be)

*Room Service (I didn’t see a menu in the room / we were never told of this option / there is no designated cook other than the two people on staff mentioned above, so I’m not sure how it would even work, yet it's on the webpage)

2. BREAKFAST & FLIES: Although breakfast was included, we didn’t have any. First morning we came down to the dining room to find flies walking over the cheese and croissants - that was enough for us. Also, from other reviews it seems eggs are possibly available (one of the two folks on staff will have to cook it for you)

3. BAD SMELL: Our second night there we come back in the evening to the smell of raw sewage in the room. We reported it to one of the staff who called a service company and aired out the room while we were at dinner. Again, to their credit they acted very quickly. I searched TripAdvisor for one star reviews to see if it has happened before, and sure enough there is one other review that mentions this. Feel free to check it out by filtering for the one-star reviews. This may not happen often, but problem is, after it happened, every night we were worried of coming back home to this smell. Not something you want to worry about during a vacation

4. NO ELEVATOR: this wasn't a problem for us, but if you are on one of the higher floors and have trouble climbing stairs, it can potentially be an issue.

5. OTHER NITS: our room was small with a glass shower box and sink right in the bedroom. The toilet (the one that smelled) was a small boxed area in the corner. There was one window and the room didn't get a lot of light. Attaching some pictures.

Now some Pros:

1. LOCATION - very centrally located, we could walk everywhere

2. STAFF - very nice and helpful. They kept a bad situation from getting worse. I wish them the best and hope they can take their considerable talent in this area to some place more mainstream

3. "GOOD" ROOM - since this is basically a house, there are good rooms / bad rooms. I do think there may be at least one good room - top floor suite which takes up the entire floor (still a 4-flight walk up though). Most of the pictures they seem to advertise is from the suite. Again problem here is the confused advertising - most actual hotels tell you what view you are getting, square footage etc (facts ... you know). Here you get a poem about Henrietta (still don't know what that's all about) and shortfalls I mentioned above are not made clear.

In conclusion, this property is not everyone’s cup of tea and you need to understand pro/con going in. You may have a perfectly fine time here, the hospitality of the staff may win you over. One test might be, when you travel, if you prefer "house"/airbnb or like crashing at a friend's place, this could work. I’m not saying one’s better than other, there are some nice airbnbs out there with fair smelling toilets. But if you prefer "hotel" in the traditional sense, you might want to reconsider or book the suite in the top floor which is likely a better value.

Room Tip: 1 bedrooms could be iffy. Suite seems decent (also on 4th floor / away from toilet/plumbing problems discussed in my review)
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank navin_rxc
Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

I just came back from my vacation with my husband in Provence and stayed at La Maison d’Aix for a 3 night stay starting from June 29th and had an incredible time. I could have easily stayed longer. Antione was delightful and such a wonderful host. He went out of his way to make our stay even more enjoyable. He made reservations to local restaurants, gave us a fun itinerary and booked a day trip on a boat ride. I loved the rooms and felt like I was far away. The breakfast was delicious. I would recommend this room for couples. I will definitely be back.