All reviewspope's palacebed and breakfastthe palais des papessitting roomlittle touchesold buildingspent nightsroof terracecentury buildingperfect locationevery morningdinner reservationsfirst floorthe heart of the cityminute walktop floornice breakfast
Reviewed October 13, 2015

We are a USA based tour operator and book France accommodations regularly - this property fell very short of our expectations and we will not book our clients here again. This is a 2 star accommodation at best. We have tried on several occasions to contact the hotel to discuss our concerns and they have not replied. The location is good but that is about it - the owners are not on the property so there is no one on hand if needed. Upon check in there was a staff member available but this person could not speak any English and could not assist with any questions on the area, suggestions on attractions or provide any guidance at all.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WePlanUK
JeanMichel84, Propriétaire at La Banasterie, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2015

your comment is not fair ! I was not at home for 3 nights during the stay of your clients for personal reasons but there was my son who speaks fluently english and my assistant who speaks english too, I told you by mail how to reach my B&B and said tell your clients "don't enter in the city , it's difficult to drive , go directly to the parking , 60 meters from La Banasterie" maybe you forgot to tell them, they enter in town and everybody can reach me because I stayed with them 20 minutes by phone guiding them when there were in their car, they arrived tired and nervous. They aspect an hotel with lift, room service and found a guest house, they did't like it and you ask me to give you back the money!! Sorry but they stay 2 nights, they have to pay, it 'll be to easy spend 2 nights in an hotel or B&B without paying anything. I didn't give you back the money and now you post a naughty comment! "I" am very disappointed !

Reviewed September 21, 2015

As we have done for a number of years, we relied on a well-regarded and established travel author. I could not have been more disappointed in both the author and the property. La Banasterie is referred to in he following manner "...this oh so pretty B&B...is owned by gregarious chocolate lovers ...and their candy-fueled passion permeates throughout. The traditionally decorated rooms are named for varieties of chocolate and decadent cups of cocoa are offered at bedtime. The indulgent breakfast alone (included in the rate) makes this spot unmissable. Note there is no elevator".

Here's my take:
1). The property is historic but I could not call it pretty.
2) The "gregarious owners" were nowhere to be seen during our two night stay. We were greeted by a befuddled woman who could not muster up even one map upon request. She had no tourist information. Nothing. Never offered to help with sightseeing. She did make us a dinner reservation. Three of the four people in our party got food poisoning from that experience.
3) I saw not one piece of chocolate during our entire stay and was never offered even a bad cup of cocoa...never mind a decadent cup.
4) Breakfast was ok but not indulgent by any standards. Tea in pretty pots, a small pot of fruit, lots of bread. Yogurt that had not been in a refrigerator for a bit so I didn't venture to try it.
5) There should be a warning about the "no elevator" status that should read....individuals who have ANY physical limitations should avoid this B&B....the steps are narrow and winding. An athlete would be challenged schlepping bags up those stairs, especially to the third floor.

We were given the room Criollo. I stand 5'5" tall and had to duck to avoid hitting my head when I entered the bathroom. My husband could not stand up straight in the bathroom except for the section immediately under the sky light (which btw didn't open). The bathroom lighting was so dim I wondered what I actually looked like once out in the public domain. The room was so small and claustrophobic that the only term that comes to mind is a garret. I felt like an incredibly poor poet from several hundreds of years ago. There was nothing even remotely pleasant about the room. There was a deck/patio that third floor residents got to share. Thank goodness for that or we would have felt even more trapped. Unfortunately the patio was not terribly well maintained (half dead plants) mixed with a plethora of plastic plants.

Incredibly disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid the room Criollo at all costs
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kellyfields22
Reviewed August 29, 2015

Our family of 4 enjoyed 2 nights in this pleasant, quaint B&B. Very good for families (space wise) but recognize you are not getting all the amenities (e.g. elevator, a/c in each room) of a modern hotel. Right around the corner from the Palace of Popes, good restos and main square. Gives you a very good Avignon experience. The proprietor was very helpful with recommendations and service, and served an excellent breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2015 via mobile

İf, like us, you dont like to stay at modern hotels without any soul, this is a perfect little hotel with 8 rooms in the heart of old Avignon. literally few steps away from Palais de Papes... Building is from eighteen hundreds, decorated accordingly. Different than anything you might have seen before . Owner's nephew Maxim is a fine young gentilmen, very helpful with everything, speaks good english.
Overall, we liked it very much

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2015

This is an excellent hotel really close to the Popes' Palace but set in a very quiet location. Although our room might be considered a little quirky, we thoroughly enjoyed our 4-night stay and Michael is an ideal host. Breakfasts are delicious. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel with a difference, not part of a chain, and set in an ideal location.

Stayed: June 2015