“Perfect- one of the most pleasant stays I've had anywhere”

Hotel Le Grand Pavois
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Juan-les-Pins
Windsor, United Kingdom
“Perfect- one of the most pleasant stays I've had anywhere”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Right from making my reservation directly with the hotel, up until check out, the entire experience could not have been better or more enjoyable. I was travelling from England, and they ordered a car to collect me on my behalf. The driver was a wealth of information on the area, sights, cafes, trains, etc. My room was spacious, as was the bathroom and wardrobe. There was a TV, refrigerator and a tea kettle was provided at my request. Check in staff were all friendly, and helpful with any questions I had regarding locations, transportation, etc. The view from my room was beautiful - faced the ocean, the church, pine and palm trees, and mountains on the horizon. I had a balcony with table and chairs. Internet was provided gratis, and it was quick and efficient. The hotel itself had a grand lobby, and an elegant dining room. Each day there was a set dinner menu in addition to the a la carte. A couple nights I dined in, and the entire dining experience was superb, from the food, the service, the ambience, and even the background music (sometimes jazz, other nights classical). The hotel location was ideal - right on the park, minutes from the beach and the town centre shops and cafes. It was a 20min walk to Antibes, and at the foot of the Cap D'Antibes. The room was quiet, perfectly clean, and I enjoyed some of the soundest sleep (night or an afternoon nap) I've had in a hotel. I appreciated that the front desk staff would speak english (or tolerate my french), and for their friendliness and help. I hope to return here sometime, and would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in this area.

Room Tip: I had a corner room, facing the sea, and the view was spectacular.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We booked a suite for the three of us for a week-long stay and loved our suite with private balcony and view of the sea. The hotel is in a very safe and quiet neighborhood (just down the street from a church) but is close enough to the shops and market. If you're traveling with children, there's a park with a playground (and a couple of carnival rides that are open on the weekends) within walking distance.

The staff was outstanding! When we needed a taxi, they called one that drove a luxury car. He not only was a safe driver but went the extra mile to give us a private tour of the surrounding areas - off the meter!

The decor is very plain and dated, but the extremely soft, comfortable beds more than make up for it. The sofa / daybed was hard and very uncomfortable, though.

The bathroom was very large (larger than some hotels in New York) and even had a heated towel rack and make-up mirror.

A couple of draw-backs, though: no private beach (which means you have to walk about 1 mile to the public beach area), not all the staff speaks fluent English and there's no business center (so bring your laptop because there is supposedly WiFi).

Room Tip: Get a suite on an upper floor with a balcony facing the sea. The sunrises and sunsets are worth the...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We have had a lovely peaceful stay here,despite it being so close to the action of Juan les pins.After hectic days and nights in this buzzing town the hotel is a haven.As my wife has aspinal problem we always request a twin room which often causes trouble especially in france ,however here we were upgraded to a junior suite despite it being peak season.The recepion staff were most helpful.The clientele of the hotel are mostly aged french,who are obviously regulars ,I can understand why .There may be more modern hotels with more facilities ,but for price and location it would be hard to beat and we are already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Paris
Reviewed 31 July 2011

I loved my stay here! Its not that the hotel exceeded my expectation in any way. In fact, it was pretty standard in what you would expect from a Best Western Hotel. But what raised its standard was the warm friendly staff, especially at the check in desk.

The rooms itself was nice enough (big bed, clean and airy). I very much enjoyed the fact that I was on the 5th floor, with a balcony that overlooked JLP.
The balcony added a touch of class to the entire room, although the manager should think of replacing the dingy plastic table and chair ensemble on the balcony to restore its full potential.

The bathroom was spotless and spacious.

Would definately stay here agin when in Juan Les Pins.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Wanderlust_6282
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Myself and my wife stayed at this hotel for 10 days between the end of June and the beginning of July 2011. The hotel itself is a good 3 star hotel in all honesty. The staff are friendly, the place is kept very clean, the rooms are basic but very comfortable with fully functional air conditioning, satellite TV (with PPV options) and with very nice bathrooms.

We only ate in the restaurant once but the food was fantastic, the flavours were what you'd expect of French cuisine. The breakfast was a continental buffet selection of breads, pastries, eggs, cheeses, tea, coffee, cakes, etc. You could sit inside or outside, and most people chose outside naturally. The breakfast itself was absolutely fine, enjoyable, fresh, good selection, etc.

We didn't use many facilities in the hotel but we did use the laundry service and found it to be quick and reliable. Items left for laundry in the morning were ready for collection (from the reception desk) by the following afternoon (early afternoon).

As for the location, literally a two minute walk down the street and you enter into the centre of Juan les Pins via a lovely little park where people spend time well into the late hours. Restaurants are plentiful, as are shops. Several restaurants have tables either looking out on to, or actually ON, the beach and serve premium quality food. It's not a cheap area but you do get quality more often than not.

I would highly recommend this hotel as a place to base yourselves if you intend to visit the area. If you see a hotel as a place to refresh and refuel then this hotel has everything you need. If you're like me and my wife then you'll be spending most of your time out and about. If you are looking for 5 star luxury then you need to look elsewhere, but there is nothing about this hotel that I could say was poor in any way. We'd most definitely go back without hesitation.

A couple of final notes that have just occurred to me. Parking is free on all the streets surrounding the hotel. You may have to drive around the block a couple times to find a space but we never had to look for more than 5 minutes or so and always ended up within a two minute walk. The hotel provides wireless internet for free, no charges or subscriptions apply. However, only one person per room can be connected at any one time so you'll need to share the connection between the occupants who want to use it. This didn't prove a great inconvenience for us.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank XperiencedTraveller5
Dublin
Reviewed 20 May 2011

So let's start with the good things:

It's pretty cheap to be fair and well located, if you're a tourist knocking about Juan Les Pains. If you're heading in and out of Cannes, a weekly ticket costs just E7.60 and the trains run pretty regularly (it's a 10 minute journey). Taxis: v v v expensive - about E30.

I very much like the fact that there is free WIFI in the room. The staff were pretty friendly too. AND, there was a spare toothpaste set for the furry teeth and forgotten tube. But for me, this is sort of where the good news ends. The room itself (on the second floor) was quite dark and pokey and for some reason, I just couldn't get a good night's sleep there - whether it was the sheets or pillows I can't tell, but generally I don't struggle for shut-eye. There are another few quirks to watch out for: THE SHOWER has this annoying thing of taking time to heat up...and then getting too hot and then too cold - i.e, it's one of THOSE ones that you have to keep turning the up/down the dial. There are ironing facilities on the 2nd floor (a good thing), but turning the iron on is a genuine work of science...it's a one grey appliance jutting from the wall that you're meant to press in various parts to get power...but it doesn't seem to work....and then suddenly it does...and then it turns itself off again. The instructions are in French. Laundry was slow: I left in stuff on Sunday and it JUST made it back Tuesday morning, despite assurances of a day earlier. The morning of check-out, I was refused WIFI because apparently I'd 'exceeded my number of log-ins' -- a somewhat bizarre quirk, which sort of sums this place up: unpredictable, frustrating and ultimately more bad than good. I wouldn't trash it, but wouldn't go back either...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ReindeerSpotting
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Have stayed here from before it was a Best Western. A classy Belle Epoque hotel with lovely public areas and outdoor seating. Good sized rooms and large bathrooms. Its free parking around here (30E at the Casino!) and an easy 5 mins walk through the quiet park to the buzz of Juan. Many good outside restaurants and pedestrian areas. Eat at Amiral but do try to reserve..In May its very pleasent for us over 50's to stroll around the many individual shops or stroll/bus to Old Antibes We always buy fresh bread and breakfast on the balcony with sea view. .Or buy patisserie and sit on the balcony. Nightlife in Juan is fun,outside and crowded and great fun if you want it. Hotel is in quiet area and never seems busy. Close to Cap Juan. Juan is a nice place to stay with easy public transport bus/train links.. Lots of good beach clubs you can pay to use nearby. Prices vary for loungers etc..

Service is adequate, no criticisms. Restaurant good.

Room Tip: Book early for prices.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brianbluebird
Also consider these accommodations in or near Juan-les-Pins
1.1 km away
0.2 km away
Hotel Juana
Hotel Juana
#6 of 47 in Juan-les-Pins

Been to Hotel Le Grand Pavois? Share your experiences!