“great location but no a/c and construction”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #75 of 205 Hotels in Nice
ny
“great location but no a/c and construction”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Take bus 98 straight to this hotel - it's super easy and drops you off right across the street after a 20 mins ride. it's on the water and breezy. great location - right across the park from the old city where all the restaurants are. super sweet staff. we loved hanging out by the pool on sunny days. the heated pool is amazing and we had a generally great stay here. below are some cons...
we had an amazing room with a balcony BUT we couldnt even open the door because they were updating the balconies and the scaffolding kept us from getting out there. it was TORTURE because we desperately wanted the fresh air since they didnt turn the A/C on since it was still March. we asked for a fan every single day but they said there werent any available.
oh and the first room we had STUNK because of some issue with the bathroom - it wasn't our fault - it came that way. and they gave us the neighboring room which smelled perfectly fine.

Room Tip: ask for the side without the construction
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rjkim
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear rjkim,
Thank you for taking your time to write a review on this website.
Indeed, the hotel is very accessible from the airport - we enjoy being quite close (about 5 kms away) but are far away enough not be inconvenienced by the noise.
I was glad to hear that the staff exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to make every guest feel special.
However, I do apologize for the scaffolding. As you mentioned, the balconies are being updated and the balconies concerned are off-limits for security reasons.
Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Pablo Bandala

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
toronto
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Pros: excellent location, upgraded rooms are good, amazing breakfast, good staff, when we had problem it was solved within 15 mins
Cons: No

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jrtravelToronto
Dear jrtravelToronto,
So glad that you enjoyed your recent stay at Le Méridien Nice with your family.
Hoping to see you again very soon for your next stay in Nice.

bristol, uk
Reviewed 1 April 2012

A disappointing experience after the rooms in Monaco. My room was dull and dark. Nice breakfast though. The rooftop bar is well worth checking out

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank quinnmedicineman
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Quinnmedecineman,
Thank you for sharing your experience on this website and for staying at Le Méridien Nice.
We are glad that you enjoyed your breakfast. Le Méridien Nice has just recently unveiled a new Signature Breakfast experience, designed in partnership with 3-star Michelin Chef Jean-G Vongerichten. Breakfast can be accompanied by the freshly brewed Illy coffee, Europe's innovative, premium coffee brand, led by Andrea Illy, grandson of the founder of Illy Caffé.
Our classic rooms overlook the inner courtyard and are appreciated for their tranquility. However, may I suggest that you try one of our deluxe rooms with a large bay window overlooking the Mediterranean.
I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Hotel is in a good spot directly across the road from the beach. Our room was large and big balcony but overlooking a side street.

No internet in the room - had to pay extra for it !!!!

Do not use the hairdresser out on the street as they are a rip off !

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room at least
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Dear JaneySm
We are delighted to read that you spent 2011 summer vacation at Le Méridien Nice with your family and thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased that you enjoyed our location across the road from the beach and that you also appreciated our rooms with the large balcony.
Hoping to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice

San Francisco
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My buddy and I stayed for a weekend while on business in Europe. I was SPG Platinum and he was SPG Platinum Ambassador and as such we at least expected rooms with a view of SOMETHING. No, we both got what I would consider to be rather poor rooms facing internally toward other rooms. Seriously, France is the only place where, as an SPG Platinum member, I've never received the slightest hint of recognition of that status, nor do I know anybody else who has - it's rather frustrating. The hotel was in general like Nice - a veneer of fanciness covering up a a rather dirty core. I've had better-maintained rooms at a Holiday Inn Express, and there was absolutely nothing remarkable about the room I was given. It was a motel room looking at other motel room windows for 230 Euro per night. Needless, to say, I don't feel that I got my money's worth. The hotel is in a great location, which I guess you pay for, with quick access to the beach and the many wonderful restaurants along it. Also, the roof-top restaurant/bar has amazing views and good food, but be prepared to pay through the nose for all of the above. Next time I go to Nice, I will be taking a break from the SPG family, which is really saying something for me.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank 451MSH
Dear 451MSH,
Firstly I would like to thank you for being part of our loyalty programme and having chosen Le Méridien Nice for your stay last summer.
Many thanks also for posting your feedback on this website.
I am pleased to learn that you appreciated our great location in the heart of the city and within walking distance from all the touristic spots of the area.
We do upgrade Platinum members whenever possible. However, we were unable to upgrade you due to the very high occupancy last July.
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you had with the service and I will share your feedback with the team.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Pablo Bandala

Travellers are raving about these Nice hotels

London
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Arrived around 23.30 from London. I know Nice well so the position is ideal for being close to town and meetings.

Entrance lobby on ground takes you upstaits to 1st floor mezzzanine level with low ceilings so momment you walk in you worry about what's coming !

Unwelcominmg greeting from night receptionsist and very inefficient check in process despite there being no one else arriving. Certainly no feeling of being expected despite being an SPG member

The rooms were small and dark but luckily i had a corner room so thought would wake up to bright sunshine and a great view. This idea was cut short as there was exterior works were taking place outside my window so was woken at 0730 to workman and noisy repairs.

The annoying issue with the room other that the lack of lighting was the smell of stale air and possible bathroom drains and imposisble to open windows as these were taped shut - assume to allow scaffolding and repairs to exterior.

Given the off season and repairs the room rate even discounted from "rack rate" was bad value with the issues mentioned.

Great location facing the sea in the Centre of the Promenade des Anglais but other than that this was not the greatest experience

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank WellTravelled2012_12
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear WellTravelled2012-12,
Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on this website.
On behalf of the hotel team, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you suffered during your stay. You also mentionned that you had a concern with the night receptionist and I will ensure that the team is advised of your feedback.
As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so that we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.
Once again please accept our apologies and I hope to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice, maybe for a leisure trip next time.

Millburn, NJ
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I booked two rooms, was going to meet my parents there as I flew into Nice from US. Booked through SPG at a good rate and pre-paid on my credit card both rooms. Parents got there first and weren't allowed in the room without a deposit payment. I arrived an hour later and front desk never even acknowledged my SPG member status.
After the embarassement finding out that my parents had to pay a cash deposit, i had it reversed soon.
The rooms were standard, not on SPG floor, looking into a dark courtyard and on the 9th floor. Clean, efficient, flatscreen TV, nice size bathroom, great bed.
Walking to the rooms and through the hallways, the hotel seems a little old, i saw some mold on the ceiling in the hallway of 9th floor, the roof restaurant and lobby area seem brand new renovated. Maybe the rooms will be next ?
Breakfast was way too expensive (€23) but good in nice setting , however the staff seemed way too eager to update themselves with gossip than to accmodate guests, plus in my opinion way too many, i saw 3 waiters standing while 2 girls did the tables.

It is unfortunate, great city, great location, but i would definitely choose another hotel, i chose Meridien because of SPG.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Ol23232
Dear 0123232
Thank you for sharing your feedback on this website and for staying at Le Méridien Nice.
Starwood hotels revised their financial data protection policies during 2010 in order to give maximum protection to each guest.
Even though a pre-payment of the guest room may have been made in advance, the hotel policy, which is identical to most hotels, is to request a credit card to guarantee and cover all extras (on very rare occasions and only if a guest has no credit card, the hotel requests a cash deposit).
I understand the uncomfortable situation and hope that your stay wasn't marred by this experience.
Our classic rooms have been softly refurbished and are indeed equipped with LCD screens. I am delighted that you enjoyed the comfort of Le Méridien signature bed and the cleanliness of the room.
Again, thank you for your comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.
Hoping to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice