“Awful experience”
Review of Anis Hotel

Anis Hotel
Ranked #117 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 16 April 2012

The Anis Hotel pictures including room, swimming pool, etc on Travel Republic website are awesome. When you get there, the room is old, dirty, ugly and old-fashioned. The receptionist didn't speak a word in english and she tried to give us 2 rooms for me and my wife. It was a nightmare to explain we only booked ONE double bed room. In the room (after getting shocked) there was only one pillow. I found a maid nearby (didn’t speak English too) and after 2 or 3 tries she gave to us the second pillow. The manager told us that when booking online, they give the customer this kind of room as he does not know what kind of room they like. The swimming pool was very dirty, unattended and left out from any maintenance. I contact Travel Republic (TR) in France using my own mobile and they contacted me back quickly. So, the advice was to check out the next day and getting a refund. But, TR informed us the booking agent (another company rather than Travel Republic) was going to charge a cancellation fee. So, I was going to lose money having also the trouble to find another hotel to stay. We decided to stay at this hotel to avoid more problems and to start enjoying the holiday as soon as possible. It was my fault too as usually I check reviews before booking a hotel, this time I didn't, and later on, at the hotel, I found many bad reviews from people worldwide. I would not recommend this hotel whatsoever. That's the second time I booked a hotel at Travel Republic and when getting there, the room/hotel/facilities don't match what as shown on the website. But is not always though, many times the hotels were great. If you come across this situation, you are unlucky.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emerson M

Reviewed 2 December 2011

Recently stayed at Hotel Anis. It is in a great location, up the hill on a quiet side street. Absolutely no traffic noise to be heard, other than the occasional aircraft flying over departing Nice Airport. It's a charming little hotel, rooms are clean, comfortable and a decent size, with a gorgeous view over Nice. We opted not to go for the breakfast (Which was an additional 10EUR per day). It didn't appear to have much on offer, and not worth the price. We were happy to find out own breakfast. The hotel staff left a little to be desired, they didn't speak much english, and were not particularly polite or helpful. However that wasn't too out of the ordinary for Nice, and I doubt you'd find much better elsewhere. Overall this is a great little hotel in a great location (near the airport, and not far from the centre). We were also quite pleased that it offered private and complimentary parking, as public parking in Nice will cost you 19-23EUR per day otherwise, so that was a huge savings. We were also pleased that the hotel was on a quiet safe side street, in a quiet and safe neighbourhood. I would highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Nice.

Room Tip: I recommend a room on the front of the hotel over looking the pool, as it offers wonderful views of...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The room was clean and a good size and the hotel had helpful staff. The main problem is that we thought it was an airport hotel but from the airport, we couldn't work out how to get there so we took a taxi which cost 30 Euros, even though it was only a few miles away; apparently that's the minimum fare. We managed to get the bus on our way back to the airport though and there is also a bus to the centre of Nice, although it can be confusing if you don't have a map and /or don't speak French and the buses don't run late into the evening. The bus stop is about five minutes' walk from the hotel. It is possible to walk from the centre of Nice to the hotel; this took about 50 minutes but was very pleasant and mostly along the Promenade des Anglais.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I wrote down this review a few year ago but I never post it anywhere. We (2 adults and 2 kids, 2 and 10 years old) staid in this hotel on August 25th 2007 but I believe people should know about our catastrophic experience here:

We waste around 90min trying to find the hotel (the address is confusing even for a GPS). When we finally checked-in they gave us the room but the air conditioned didn't work. We had already unpacked and put the kids in bed thinking the hotel might solve the problem without changing rooms. When I called the receptionist (named Amadou) he just recommended us to wait until the next day (I initially though he was joking because it was a very hot that night and we just book the hotel for one night). The receptionist didn't know what to do until I suggested him to find another room. He finally get one but it was only 2 bed (and I reserved and paid for a 3 bed room).

I convinced my wife and kids to move to the other room (It was already around 2am). And when we met this receptionist in order to exchange keys I ask him to inform the manager that the next day I was planing to ask for a refund. Immediately after that this receptionist threatened me with not giving us the key of the other room -all that in front of my sleepy kids and my wife-.Then I start to request more firmly for a service that I already paid in advance (they knew this since the beginning) but besides that the receptionist kept threatening us with not giving the key until I screamed that I was going to call the police and my wife almost begged him in front of my kids to give us the key, and he finally accepted to give us the key for the room that we finally get.

This is by far the worst hotel experience I ever had (I have to say that we travel a lot). We of course blame the receptionist for this terrible experience but I believe that the management was more responsible for allowing someone like him to be in charge of a hotel. Additionally there was this wedding that didn't allow us to sleep because of the noise.
TERRIBLE

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Our stay at Hotel Anis was not as expected.

The rooms very small and felt cramped. The remote for the A/C in my room was gone and therefore did not work. The room was not cleaned properly.

The staff was hit and miss (some were very friendly, others were rude).

The biggest downfall though was the location. Way to far from everything, so you are forced to drive. We walked back home from downtown one night and were surprised having to pass prostitutes very close to the hotel.

Bottom line: I would not stay there again. Search for a hotel closer to downtown Nice and avoid the hassle of the location.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank FromCGN
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We arrived at this hotel - taking our cases out of the car I noticed a man at reception looking at us. He turned out to be Christofe - the manager we think. Did he help with our cases - no.
We had booked a superior room and were given a room at the back of the hotel. The carpets were filthy, the walls were dirty, the bathroom was strictly 1970's. Tiny balcony looking into trees
Fortunately my wife is French and she complained to Christofe. To be fair we were switched to a much better room the next night. The reason for the poor room is that we booked on-line. We were told that if we booked direct (at a more expensive price) then we would have been allocated a better room.
Ask for a bath towel, Mr. Christofe, complained that "it did not suit him" to give us another one. The towel were a disgrace, well past their sell by date
The swimming pool area has a total of seven tatty loungers, so don't expect to get one.
By this time we were so put off that we did not try breakfast- €10 per person or dinner.
Good points, well the hotel has a free car park.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arthurhlevy
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The hotel is in a good location between the airport and the tourist area. I took the bus 23 from the airport and walked for about 5 mins to the hotel. There is a shuttle service that you must book well in advance. Do not taker a taxi at the airport as it will cost you €25 for a 5km distance. Walk away from the airport a few metres and you can flag down a taxi. It is a clean civilised hotel. Rooms are clean. Mine had a balcony, comfy bed, shower/bath, hot water, bathroom toiletries, extra duvet, air-con. The breakfast was plentyful but I would say a bit pricey at €10 per person per day. I didnt have lunch or dinner there. The pool was clean and quiet, most people just went to the beach. There is a shower and a toilet near the pool. The wifi is free but mostly not working. And there is a tax of about €7 euro per person that you must pay at check out. I didnt avail of the room service. Staff was polite and nice expect on older man that was very dismissive when I asked any questions. I preferred waiting until the next day when another member of staff was there. To get around I rented a byke every day. There are stations of public bykes dotted around the promenade. It is a lovely way of getting around as I wasnt stuck in traffic or tired from walking. Over all the hotel is pleasant and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay for a superior room if you can, they have balconies and seem to be bigger.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo