All reviews old town small friendly hotel train station street view short walk to the beach recommend this hotel buffet breakfast is well located hotel rooms are small visiting nice pedestrian area shopping and restaurants excellent location the ground floor main promenade lovely little hotel within easy reach
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Every fall I return to Nice and my favorite small affordable hotel close to the sea and Promenade des Anglais. Nice neighborhood w small restaurants and stores, close to Musée Massena w expositions and free concerts. The tasty buffet breakfast is served in the small quaint courtyard and a fountain with its soothing water sound.I cannot think of a better place to stay while relaxing and exploring beautiful Nice! I shall be back

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HOTEL DE LA FON... N, Responsable réception at Hotel de la Fontaine, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Rigmorspang,

thank you for your comment, we waiting you soon for your next trip.

Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I booked the hotel through Expedia deal so we were a bit worried going into it blindly but thankfully it was a lovely surprise. The hotel offers everything that is needed for a short stay. The room we had was on a first floor. It was clean, good facilities, good wi-fi and really helpful reception staff. We didn’t opt for breakfast so can’t comment on that. Also a shout out to the lovely room maid who got us toiletries in the morning when we run out. Very helpful lady. The only negative that I would expect is that when you keep your window open you will get all the street noise which goes on all night. But this didn’t affect us.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Mrs ZuskaMat,

thank you for your stay and your comment.

We waiting you for your next trip in Nice.

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

I did a mistake which I usually do not do. After seeing all the wonderful comments and surprising deal, I booked here instead of making my usual, known choices -and this was result: Terrible! I understand this is a budget hotel, and one should not expect lavish amenities -which I did not either but this was a joke really. From my own experience, I would not name this establishment a proper hotel, rather a hostel-like motel. Anyone rates this place high, has never been to a good hotel, that's obvious -not even on a modest 3 star level. You may think that you only use the hotel to take a nap and sleep, this was also my idea this time. But Nice is a wonderful place to ruin the quality of your sleep.

Where should I start. Well, everyone knows French are not fond of speaking English -this is different in Cote d'Azur where everyone speaks English. The front-office of this hotel may be an expection, might have been the worst English level I have ever encountered anywhere in southern France. We asked whether they have slippers, the answer was: "Slippers? What is slippers?" Then we tried to explain what shower slippers are -eventually they did not have of course. No slippers, no dental kit, no regular shampoo. We all had to go out and buy them just to stay with minimum requirements here -not much of a value but still. No drinking water either, they expect you to drink from the tap. Well, good luck with you, we had to buy and carry our own drinking water everyday.

I have been to hotels with small rooms before, but never this small. The smallest, most inefficient and non-sense room this was. Housekeeping has some issues too. After a few days I asked front-office to change the bed sheets, she said ok, this did not happen. No sheets change, no towels change in 5 days. Never experienced such thing anywhere! Moreover, I kindly asked them to do so. Nothing!

Hotel is loud. This is not the other guests, door bangings or immense sound from the street (and we were at the top floor!) which you also hear a lot but I do not mean them. I mean a constant, periodic humming caused by a mechanic gadget somewhere in the building and this ruined our sleep constantly. No sound isolation whatsoever. When I told them this, I was given an empty look and that's all. Sheets, slippers, this -and I said ok, this is non sense to complain about anything to them. No room-change offer, nothing.

Bed (two single beds merged into one pseudo-double actually?!) and pillow were the worst I have ever seen too. Not possible to sleep sound. Very uncomfortable. I do not know if it is same in every single room but this was definitely the case for us.

I have now seen that whoever makes a negative remark here, their management jumps on as if they jump onto a street brawl and fights back with counter-comments like "You did not have money in your paycheck when you arrived", "You smoked in the room", "You were rude", You did this and that" "How can you rate us low because of the noise of the street" (iow. the
hotel's sound isolation?!?) etc. etc. -just check the negative comments and their replies. I wish I could have seen them before booking -this unfortunate booking would never happen. And I wonder what will be they try to say me now. Weird character really and this attitude alone needs to tell everyone something.

After all; this is one of the cheapest alternatives to stay in a relatively good location in Nice. If this is the only thing you care and do not bothered by any service of low quality (or none), ok. But if you are looking for an average level of service (I am not saying good, just an average), you need to look for other alternatives. I am not really a bargain hunter, and every single lunch and dinner we had actually cost more than daily fee of this stay. I was totally misled by the comments here, thought that we were going to stay in a chic boutique hotel for a surprising value -which happened a few times in other places of the world. However, it turned out to be a total disaster this time. I understand why they pre-charge the entire sum, all the way to the city tax, as you check in.

Although prepaid the whole thing, we would of course have left for another hotel way earlier but actually wanted to see till the end. This was not the best choice. Yes, this is a compatible final-word.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank evrenyg
HOTEL DE LA FON... N, Responsable relations clients at Hotel de la Fontaine, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Mr Evren Yigit Genis,

We are very sorry to read that you had an unpleasant stay at our hotel.
Actually, it may happen that everything couldn’t be perfect as we would like, but reading that everything was “terrible” I found exaggerated, also because we are used to receive praise from our guests of all nationalities. I very much respect your opinion which obviously is based on your experiences. Not always what you perceive corresponds to reality.
Our staff is the strength of our hotel. As for the knowledge of foreign languages, I think that it is not necessary to generalize saying that “French people are not fond of speaking English”. Most of us isn’t French and can speak at least 3 languages and someone even more than that.
We strive to provide our guests exceptional facilities and a memorable stay.
About amenities I assure you that slippers, dental kit and bottles of water aren’t mandatory for 3* hotel's criteria. Actually, I don’t know any 3* hotels in Nice which offer such amenities. Our room aren’t the biggest of the category but the size complies with the standard sizes for a 3 * hotel.
You booked a room at the lowest rate “non refundable” with a street view. Thanks to our new double-glazed windows we can isolate noise from outside very well, but for guests who really want an absolute calm we always recommend to book rooms with a view on the patio where the only noise you could read would be a singing of birds.
Concerning the housekeeping I don’t know what are you complaining, you got fresh towels every day (checked by me as duty manager) and we changed your sheets after the third day, which is the standard for us. The morning of the third day, you came at the reception asking to change sheets and the receptionist replied that it was already planned.
It's certainly easier to write a bad comment but I don't understand why you never wanted to talk to a manager if the service and the hotel seemed you so "terrible".
Once more we respect your opinion, but thanks to our almost 90% of satisfied guests we can be proud of our daily work and it is only with this that we can continue to improve our product and service.

I would be very happy if you could contact me to discuss more in details what didn’t like.
Here's my mail : contact@hotel-fontaine.com

Reviewed October 10, 2018

We enjoyed our 5 night stay in this hotel. Room was clean albeit a bit small, bed very roomy and comfortable. The location is great, just a few minutes walk to the promenade and good local restaurants. Would stay here again

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
HOTEL DE LA FON... N, Responsable relations clients at Hotel de la Fontaine, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2018

Dear Jennymaguire30,
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we do hope you will return to visit us again.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 9, 2018

This was my fourth stay in this charming hotel. It is extremely well positioned and very good value. The staff are great - really helpful and accommodating. Would not go anywhere else and will certainly be returning

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled solo

Dear Davisjulie43,
Thank you very much for your fidelity.

We look forward to see you soon.