“Off the beaten track”

peperoncino di barbara
Ranked #6 of 120 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: un tres joli restaurant italien sur une petite place avec une fontaine en face du cinema d orange, une vrais cuisine italienne avec produit frais un acceuil chaleureus comme l italie demande,,,, je vous conseille le detour. cordialement
Reviewed July 10, 2016

We were in Orange for one night, and this restaurant was recommended at our hotel. After a short walk we found Peperoncino just off the main road, not far from the Roman Theatre (but much in Orange is near the theatre). There is a small 'independent' cinema sharing the courtyard, and it was very quiet - everyone else was watching Euro '16!

Barbara was very welcoming, and sat us in the small inside dining room. We started with a large, shared antipasti. Delicious, delicate flavours. A wonderful start to the evening.

The 'special' of the day was a beef canelloni, which we both chose. This was prepared in the small kitchen at the rear, and it was fascinating to watch the shavings of fennel and cucumber being produced to join the rest of the salad alongside the main dish. All this was washed down with a local rose to make a wonderful meal.

We finished the evening with coffee as the football match ended and the residents of Orange filled the streets and settled in for their delayed meals.

Reviewed April 15, 2016 via mobile

Lady who owns the place is super nice! But other than that I was not impressed. We had a few kinds of pasta all of which were marginal. Over cooked and I also think it was dried and not fresh.

Barbi1966, Gérant at peperoncino di barbara, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to write, but a clarification is required.
our pastas are made all the time so impossible that there are fresh, I'm sorry that I enjoyed them.

Reviewed October 3, 2015

We found this little Italian comfortable and friendly, a bit like eating with the family, as the owner took your order and then did most of the cooking herself in the kitchen behind you. The food itself was very good, and the prices good value too.

Barbi1966, Gérant at peperoncino di barbara, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2015

Thanks for your comment, it warms my heart and invites me to always work better

Reviewed September 23, 2015

wanted somewhere away from all the mainstreet crowds. found idyllic back street location. Barbara was the perfect host. Barbara help source a taxi back to our hotel on such a busy night (thankyou Vincent) The food was excellent, would definitely visit again when I next visit

Barbi1966, Gérant at peperoncino di barbara, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2015

Thank for your smile.... I hope you comeback for another david gilmor!!!

Reviewed July 29, 2015

This lovely little restaurant has become my favorite place for lunch whenever I am holidaying in Orange.
Barbara is a bubbly Italian Lady, always in a great welcoming mood. The food is truly italian and very fresh made with love either by Barbara or La Mamma!
Our plates are sent back to the kitchen...very empty!
We appreciate the fact that she changes the menu everyday, depending on what she gets from the market. We are not bored with her menu, even if we lunch there 3 times a week.
The wine list is very simple but pleasant.
There s a lovely little patio right next to a cinema theatre so it s a good spot to lunch if there s a movie we want to see at 2pm.
The coffee is so good that I always have 2...And Barbara remembers that...She brings me another coffee as soon as my first cup is empty. I could drink coffee until I am shaking there.
See you soon Barbara!