“Very good and cozy african restaurant ”

Le Petit Resto de Paul
Ranked #9 of 120 Restaurants in Orange
Price range: US$14 - US$31
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Paul,the cook ,is from Benin ( West Africa) and has been living inFrance for 10 Years, so he prepares as well local dishes from Benin , than european food. You will taste sea- food, fresh fishes, shrimps, cooked meats in African sauce, exotic salads.Home-made food.The place is very friendly!!
Reviewed May 3, 2018 via mobile

Went to this small african restaurant the first day in orange, and we were very satisfied! Cozy atmosphere and amazing food. Would definitatly recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed September 30, 2017 via mobile

Easy going atmosphere and kind people but the service and the kitchen were both slow.
What it doesn't work at all, in my opinion, is the proportion between costs, the size of the portions and kind of food (which is basic :rice, salad, beans, bananas etc)
Choosing the cheapest house wine and 1 vegan course, 1 chicken rice and 1 salad with a few avocado and sea fruits, we paid 70€.
My vegan food was tasty but indeed the portion was poor, I would have had some additional things but the costs discouraged me.

Reviewed September 30, 2017

The best thing that happened to us at the Resto de Paul: as we sat down, the lone waitress asked if the music was too loud. Many restaurants could learn from this small but important and kind act of consideration. The music and the volume were fine.
Unfortunately, from here on it was all downhill.
Our hotel in Orange booked us a table for 7.45PM. By 8PM we had placed our orders and asked for a carafe of water. After two reminders, the water arrived at 8.40PM. Five minutes later (one hour after our arrival), the food appeared: one totally unimaginative vegetarian dish (the only one on offer, even though Tripadvisor describes the Resto as vegetarian and even vegan friendly); and an "Exotic Salad" which consisted of four small shrimps and four small moules on a bed of lettuce, and augmented by a tomato-based sauce with a few bits of tuna from a tin.
By 9PM our plates were ready to be cleared. We waited a further 20 minutes for the one main dish we had ordered, and then gave up asked for the bill.
A brief, belated "I am sorry" from the waitress as we departed ended a thoroughly disappointing experience.

Reviewed September 20, 2017

Finding food with a bit of spice to it is not always easy in France so Paul's was one of the first places in Orange that we visited. We went for one of the formules - the salad exotique was certainly more tasty than the usual lettuce with dressing approach so common in France and both of us enjoyed our main courses. I would tend to regard the food as more mildly to mid-spicy by my Thai-loving tastes so it is certainly not overly challenging in my opinion. We also had a couple of cocktails each - nothing special in terms of presentation but they were well-balanced and packed quite a punch. Especially, when we got a free one each at the end of the meal!

Paul (I assume) is a good host with a love of loud reggae - we were all sat outside so volume wasn't too much of an issue that night but being inside would have been deafening. I assume that the volume decreases if people are inside.

All in all, thoroughly recommended and it was a shame that we didn't make it back for a second visit (too many places to eat, too little time.......)

Reviewed September 11, 2017 via mobile

Wow. This place is just fantastic! If you are in Orange and fancy trying something different then please please just try it. The chilli sauce is something to behold!!!

I'm a vegetarian and good food for me is hard to find, but not here, it's simply amazing!

Thank you Paul.

Fantastic food :) fantastic service :)