“Great Hotel near to City Centre”

New Hotel Of Marseille
Ranked #20 of 132 Hotels in Marseille
Reviewed 2 September 2017

We booked this hotel last minute and were pleasantly surprised with our stay. The reception staff were friendly and very helpful.

Location: This hotel is only a 10 minute walk to the harbour area. There is a bus stop just outside the hotel so easy to get to from the central train/bus station (Bus 82s) and to other tourist attractions. There is a small beach in Le Pharo and a casino supermarket for water etc.; both are a 5 min walk from the hotel.

Room: We had a superior room on the 4th floor for 6 nights. All suites on the 4th (top) floor had large balconies; the front rooms overlooked the harbour, whilst the ones at the back gave views of the Notre Dame de la Garde. The rooms were spacious, comfy, clean and modern. There was a coffee machine and mini-bar, although use of them was at a cost. There was a safe for personal belongings.

Restaurant: We used this once. The food was excellent when it arrived, but we found it too expensive, had to wait ½ hour before our order was taken (we were the only people in the restaurant at the time), and the bar/restaurant staff weren’t overly friendly. We found there was plenty of local and reasonably priced restaurants down in the harbour.

Facilities: The pool is a little small but nice to have for those hot days. The sun loungers were limited, although we only had one day when we couldn’t access some, so not bad for peak season. The only downside is the hotel has a café next door to the pool, and often this was full of locals and businessmen who would stare at guests using the pool. This felt a little uncomfortable.

Note: Make sure you have your credit card for the room deposit. If you do not have a credit card they will charge you a deposit of 150 euros per night of your stay. They do not accept debit cards for this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter; top (4th) floor rooms have a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
JL_De_Bodisko, Directeur général at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Dear Guest, we appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Newhotel Of Marseille, thank you for your comment. Best regards

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

The rooms on the 4th floor have large terraces, bathrooms are oversized for Europe and the rooms are comfortable. We stayed for a week and I saw 4 different rooms. The suite was great with a comfortable sitting area. The wood flooring in the rooms should be scrubbed better and more often but the over all decor, cleanliness and amenities were fantastic.
The restraunt is pricey and the servers are not overly friendly. The front desk people, management and maintenance people were fantastic. The view on the port side is best.
We booked with Trip Advisor and paid substantially less than the posted pricing.
The location is walking distance to the port area and other areas of interest.
We will stay here when visiting Marsaille.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
JL_De_Bodisko, Directeur général at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Dear Kelly, thank you for your comment. We are glad that you appreciate our hotel and we take note about your remarks. See you soon!

Reviewed 21 July 2017

I have just returned my hen weekend and the destination of Marseille was a surprise. I had the best weekend and think Marseille unjustly has a slightly bad reputation. Its a big city (the 2nd largest in France apparently), the people are so friendly and helpful and there are lots of hidden treasures in Marseille. Our hotel was a great location, just 10 mins one way to the port where there are loads of bars and restaurants and 10 mins the other way to the beach. The hotel is lovely and modern, rooms a good size and the beds are so comfortable. The pool is a little on the small size and sometimes you have to be up early to get a sun bed but other than that I was very impressed. Opposite The New Hotel is the Sofitel Hotel which has a gorgeous roof top bar. If you go to Marseille I would really recommend the Electric Bike Tour with Ebike tours (that was so much fun and so easy) and definitely take a trip to Cassis - beautiful and chic resort. We also did a couple of vineyard tours which I loved. All in all I loved The New Hotel and Marseille and would not hesitate in recommend a trip there

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
JL_De_Bodisko, Directeur général at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2017

What a pleasure to read your comment! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We'll be happy to welcome you for your next trip in Marseille !

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Lovely rooms, friendly staff, poolside with bar and restaurant service and easy reach of the old port/marina.
Restaurants in Marseille stop serving around 10:30pm. We would have been glad of 24-hour room service when we missed out on a meal out, but otherwise had a very enjoyable stay.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Newhotel, thank you for your comment and we take note about the 24-hour room service. We hope to see you soon

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. It is ideally situated just out of the Port but only a short walk away. Having been in Marseille for 4 days I wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else, I never saw another hotel with a pool although i'am sure there would have been. Upon our arrival the Bell boy ( which was on his top) was extremely welcoming & helpful. The room was very spacious and extremely clean & tidy. I was aware the rooms had Nespresso coffee machines in them so I took my own pods to have a coffee. There was plenty of wardrobe space , slippers & bath robes. We used the pool each day and towels were given from the bar. We couldn't fault our stay and if we were to go back we'd definitely stay here.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lesjeff21
JL_De_Bodisko, Directeur général at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

What a pleasure to read your comment! Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We'll be happy to welcome you for your next trip in Paris !

Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

My child and I joined my husband, who was staying at the hotel for work for a few days. It is an ok boutique hotel but location is great.

It's right across the Palais Du Pharo where a nice big park and playground is situated. There are cafes and shops near the hotel so that's convenient. Bus stops to Old Port and Notre Dame are just a stone's throw away. But we mostly walked down the pier even took a ferry across to the other side of the Port one day. There's a beach just 5 mins away from the hotel. Very convenient.

The hotel itself is fine for a short stay. I wished there's a kettle or coffee making facility inside the room. The hotel is clean however the corridors are quite dark we got used to it after the second. The pool is not big but nice enough for a quick swim but too deep for young children.

The breakfast spread is decent. We had most of our meals at the hotel restaurant as the food are really quite good. You can either choose from their daily special menu or the standard menu (2 course or 3 course at very reasonable prices). Their wine list is lovely too. A few restaurant staff were attentive but the rest seemed a bit snooty. (Is that just a French thing?)

I must praise the Concierge personnels at the hotel especially Nicholas and Gary (?) they both were extremely helpful in giving me tips on where to visit during my stay. And forever thoughtful for instance giving me and my child bottles of water before we left the hotel when the weather was really hot.

I had an unpleasant experience on my last day as my wallet got stolen whilst out of the hotel, the Concierge was particular helpful in helping me and child to get back to hotel safely (and without any cash left!). Thank you once again Nicholas for being so switched on and quick in your actions. My husband and I really appreciate it.

The front desk personnels however, well, none of them really bothered to help much. Surprisingly their English isn't as good as the concierge guys. Whenever we had a question they directed us to the concierge. Their main role it seems is to handle check in and out procedures. But again, might be just a French thing.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
JL_De_Bodisko, Directeur général at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Thank you for your comment, we appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Newhotel, we gonna tell about yours comment for our staff and we are really glad that you appreciate our hotel. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about the problems with the receptionist and the restaurant and will take the necessary steps to ensure this does not happen again. We hope to see you soon, in one of our NEWHOTEL hotels in Marseille, Paris and Brussels.

Reviewed 16 June 2017 via mobile

Used to live in Marseille downtown and loved it despite the noise, the trash man strikes, etc...

Stayed 3 nights over a weekend in order to see and visit friends around.

Very very lovely place to stay in the heart of the city but quiet enough. You can walk everywhere along the beaches and reach out the Corniche or to the Vieux Port...
Pretty cool deal price wise for an elegant place with a modern vibe.

Service pretty formal and cool, very charming.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank American_in_Corsica
JL_De_Bodisko, Directeur général at New Hotel Of Marseille, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Dear host, we appreciate you taking the time to review your stay at the Newhotel, thank you for your comment. Best regards.