“The worst hotel I ever stayed in France”
Review of Hotel de Savoie

Hotel de Savoie
Ranked #44 of 47 Hotels in Annecy
Reviewed 21 July 2010

At arrival we've been told that the room we booked is not available, and we've been offered a worse room for the same price. The second day in the morning we negotiated to change the room to the one we booked, but it took the whole day to make it happen (we left the key at 9 am and got the new one at 5 pm, and then it took another 3 hours to arrange the cleaning/make-up of the room).
The hotel staff says everything will be arranged, while does nothing for that.
The rooms are dirty, the furniture is very old, there were no single hook to put a towel in the bathroom, and it seemed that some renovation there has started, but never finished.
It was hot, and the hotel has no any air conditioning, but if you open a window, a lot of noise comes from the street (which continues all the night since the hotel faces one of the main squares of the city).
The only advantage of the hotel is its very central location.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 February 2009

Hotel de Savoie certainly has character. It is very central and we pre-booked a room with a view over the canals. We were on a budget, carrying backpacks and were wanting a decent bed and our own bathroom facilities. With a car, we had to park, find the hotel, go back to the car to move it to the parking building then take our luggage over the road to the hotel. Booking directly with the hotel via email was hassle-free. The room was quaint and the bed was comfy and, for one night, we were happy with our choice. If we were staying in the area for longer we would look around again.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2009

We booked to stay here before Christmas for a few nights. As soon as we saw it we demanded a refund, it was awful! Totally dated & covered in scaffolding, it was like a building site in the reception area. We couldn't believe it was even open!! No apology was offered, we were simply told that we wouldnt be sleeping the reception so why did it matter. The room was totally awful - seriously suggest people stay elsewhere! We went to the hotel Splendid which really was splendid!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We were actually booked in another hotel (4 stars), but due to overbooking we were relocated in Hotel de Savoie (2 stars) without possibility not to accept, as our stay would have been charged to our credit card anyway.
We were informed that the hotel was "charming" and did not realise that in France "charming" or "lovely" very often means that if you are bohemian and romantic you might like it. Dirt is not a no-no in France and adds to the charm. We had an absolutely horrible room, tv not working, beds like in a camp and in front of the hotel a Karaoke event until 01:00 followed by drunk "charming" french. Price of the room: 120 Euro!!!

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed 29 September 2007

The room we had was very French, sort of basic and charming.
Being on a corner, the room had two windows, each affording a different beautiful view. Thrilling, especially at night.
Hotel de Savoie ticks all the right boxes...clean, comfortable, friendly, well-located, interesting building, good breakfast., value for money. Waht more could you ask for?

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 13 February 2007

A friend and I decided to take a little tour of France over our winter break. I did all the hotel research and booked all of our stays. This was supposed to be our little splurge place. It was not worth it. For all of our other hotels, I researched and cross checked extensively- for Annecy I did not and I regretted it.

We stayed in a non-canal facing room, one of the less expensive ones, and we had a lovely little balcony...which overlooked the dumpsters in the alley. I think perhaps as young American students, the hotel staff gave us the worst room in the place, the very first room on the first floor, quite literaly three steps from the reception desk. In the morning we heard every single other hotel guest come down the stairs and into the reception room for breakfast. I've heard that you should never accept the first room they offer you in Europe- I never had that problem in any of the other places I stayed on our trip, but for this hotel, I wish I had had the guts to speak up and get my money's worth! To add insult to injury the room was very poorly decorated with old beding and ugly cheap looking oriental lamps. I found several hairs in the bed which were not mine or my friends. On the other hand, the bathroom looked like it had recently been renovated and it was rather spacious, nice, and clean.

I suppose I would have to sum up this review by saying that I would not advise other travelers to stay in one of the cheaper rooms in this hotel- either go for the canal room or find another place. And under no circumstances accept that first room on the first floor!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank sydneyb64
Reviewed 26 July 2006

Just returned from Hotel de Savoie in Annecy. The hotel is in a great location and had a wonderful view looking onto the canal and market area; however, was quite noisey in the morning with garbage and street crews.

Rooms were average, with a distinctive sewer odour coming from the bathroom. The phone was not in service, and the sheets and comforter were stained. We had a great time in Annecy, however, would stay at another hotel for our next stay.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank dpharm