“Excellent hotel”
Review of Hotel du Simplon

Hotel du Simplon
Ranked #45 of 196 Hotels in Lyon
Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

We loved this hotel. Excellent front desk service and wheelchair accessible. The location is perfect. The bathroom has a roll-in shower. The room feels very French, not like a generic American hotel room. Highly recommend!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
hotel_du_simplon, Receptionist at Hotel du Simplon, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2017

Dear Madam,
Thank you very much for sharing your kind words.
It is a real pleasure to hear you enjoyed our service at the reception and that you appreciated the hotel identity.
We are doing our possible to welcome our guest personally, to create a "second home" for them so we are proud to read you.
Thank you again for your time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you come to Lyon.
Warmest regards,
Pia (Receptionist)

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Terrific location, rooms, and breakfast selection. Front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. Being able to use the locked garage facility a block away was really worth the extra charge, to not worry about our car. The Thomas group of restaurants, a few blocks up rue de Charite, across from the Musee de Tissus, is quite a find. Thanks to the good value of the Simplon Hotel, we were able to afford an incredible lunch at Les Trois Domes restaurant, on top of Sofitel Hotel, also fairly close by.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2017

Excellent personnel , and a good night sleep guaranteed as the room I was allocated was very quiet.Do not expect any views though. Breakfast average and terrible coffee prepared in a thermos !mind you I wasn't impressed with the coffee in France during this stay.Room though very clean needs badly a revamp, also linen and towels have seen better days.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2017

We were very pleased with our stay at Hotel du Simplon. Here are some reasons why we highly recommend the hotel:

*Hotel has air conditioning! This is a rarity in Lyon. We had to look extensively to find a hotel with AC.
*Hotel has an elevator
*Staff was very friendly and accommodating. They provided excellent restaurant recommendations.
*Great location--nice, quiet neighborhood, close to train station, close to shopping district and restaurants
*Close to Perrache train station, about 5 minute walk
*Family run business
*Rooms on the small side, but nice, comfortable, clean
*Room had a bathtub
*Hotel offers breakfast for a inexpensive fee
*Excellent value

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2017

The hotel is conveniently located on fairly quiet streets and there is a good-sized grocery store just one block north. In mid-May they were doing construction work on the street at the edge of Place Carnot so you couldn't walk directly from the Place down Rue Duhamel to the hotel. Take the street south or north instead. If you are coming on the Metro without bags, it may be just as easy to use the Ampere station. The bathroom was spacious with a great shower. My room was supposedly a superior room, but it was small with no dresser to store anything you couldn't hang on the tiny hanging rod. The hotel advertises air conditioning, but they don't turn it on until at least some time in June (and there are no fans) so if you are there on a hot day in May, get ready to sweat. I don't know how limited the air conditioning season is, but if this is important to you, stay elsewhere. I didn't eat the breakfast, but there's a patisserie just one block up the street. There's a lot of charm in the public areas of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

I stayed here recently and found it a lovely well situated located in a nice part of town to get round and see the sights.

The hotel is clean and do a nice no frills breakfast and the staff were ever so helpful and when I needed directions to the football match they made sure I had print outs and helped me in so many ways.
Everyone who worked there was helpful and made my stay a pleasant one and although the room was on the small side the bed was one of the comfiest I've been in in ages and plenty of sheets if you got cold.

All in all a lovely nice hotel with basic facilities and someone on reception 24 hours a day I would hopefully come back here some day again..

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2016

I asked reception for help with a print out. I was in a bit of a confused state as I don't speak good French. The staff settled me . Kindly printed my document and gave gave me a free espresso. The décor is lovely . Simple early century cottage style. Highly recommend you visit even if just for a coffee.

Room Tip: Close but not too close to the station for coaches and trains