“absolutely superb combination of style and tradition”

Zirbelstube & Falkenstube
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2018

absolutely superb combination of style and tradition, maybe too much of tuxedo waiters with great professional but less cordiality , food and wines little above value for the money .. but interesting to go

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed November 20, 2017

I've been reviewing for tripadvisor for years and this is the hardest one I have had to write. In some ways this review could be laudatory or scathing. I put it down the middle with a rating of 3. The good part--incredibly inventive take on traditional continental cuisine. I had the chef's tasting menu and each dish was a work of art. The bad--I got violently ill after the dinner. Actually around course 4 I started feeling woozy and excused myself to the restroom to splash water on my face to keep from passing out. I don't believe it was actual food poisoning--probably just more fat content than my body has encountered in a single meal in years. I tip toed through the remaining courses and hurried back to my hotel. Unfortunately I had one of the worst evenings/nights that I have ever had. It cleared up by 5am, but given that I had little to eat earlier in the day (and usually have an iron stomach), I had to attribute it to something with the meal--likely simply the enormous amount of heavy fat. If I ever do go back, I'll stay far away from the multicourse meal. A soup and main would be more than enough. The service, by the way, was impeccable. It is also a lovely restaurant. Again a night of real disjunction for me.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed October 8, 2017 via mobile

We went there for a business dinner with some friends from the US. It was the right choice as it feels very German inside. And food was really nice, too. Especially decently priced.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed September 28, 2017 via mobile

I know this restaurant since it opened and I prefer it for special occasions. I was never disappointed, this I was also satisfied this time when I went after a long time. The so called Falkenstube is particularly beautiful and I would advise to ask for a table there. It's the decor of an old Freiburg restaurant entirely transfered to the Colombi (actually I know the old restaurant still).
The menu is not very large but varied enough, moreover I never in all these years had an unpleasant surprise. This time I found for the first time a good brand of oysters (not normal in this region; they normally serve fine clair) so I and my companion went for oysters as a starter. As a main course I had head of calf which was superb, my friend had deer. In this dish the only thing I found a less good idea was that the cauliflower had a slightly cheesy sauce. But that did not affect the overall quality of the dish. We renounced of dessert but went to the adjacent bar of the hotel: by far the nicest place in town to have a drink and a chat.
There are a few good restaurants with one Michelin star like that in the region, however, I find this one the most reliable and the one that offers the best price qualify relationship. In fact for this quality the prices are more than acceptable.

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank hanschristiang2017
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

After checking into the Colombi Hotel we had enough time for a quick wander around the old town but did not want to use this looking for a restaurant. So, booked a table at this in-house restaurant for later in the evening after a quick look at the menu on line.
We had a very nice G&T in the Piano bar just before going into the restaurant. The restaurant itself is very nicely decorated and laid out. Staff were attentive, very pleasant and happy to speak in English as our German is regrettably very poor.
I chose the rabbit fillet to start, my wife chose a goats cheese salad and we both had the saddle of lamb as our main meal. The food was well presented, the portion size was good, and everything we ate oozed quality - I'm not sure I've had better lamb anywhere.
Also, my knowledge of German red wine is not good so asked for assistance. This was happily given based on my request of a medium bodied red within a given price range - and it proved a good recommendation.
Overall, we had an extremely enjoyable meal at this Michelin star rated restaurant at a cost that I consider both reasonable and fair. I would happily eat here again.

Date of visit: July 2017