All reviews great location old town side street heidelberg castle germany
Reviewed July 25, 2017

I don't mind small hotels, or ones with simple and uncomplicated rooms. Indeed I quite like minimalism in general. The problem with my room at zum Pfalzfrafen is that the room was SO small, and the bed SO narrow that I found it hard to stay there.

Much worse though is the noise from the street outside. I happened to be visiting Heidelberg on a holiday weekend, when the students party. I just didn't realise that there are both a pool-bar and an all-night discoteque just downstairs. They have no soundproofing, so are extremely loud (until 5am). And with the heat in May I couldn't sleep with the window closed either!

The location is excellent. But if you go there by car it's extremely hard to park. The hotel do offer parking, but it's at a remote parking house, which is also small and difficult to drive into.

The staff are lovely! Friendly and helpful, which probably compensates for the hotel's other problems. And the breakfast is nice. As much coffee as you like, which is good, to keep you awake after a sleepless night.

Overall this hotel is cheaper than others in the popular city of Heidelberg. It's fine if you like breakfast and don't need sleep.(TBH the last night I was there there was no disco downstairs, so my sleep was not affected by the noise, just by the narrowness of the bed.) If your budget allows, stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you're given a choice, don't get a room facing the road! There's a disco right downstairs, which is very loud at weekends!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2017 via mobile

We stayed for one night. The location is excellent. They have some parking (Not obvious how to enter.). Friendly and helpfull staff. Not much more positive to add . Small room with no air conditioning.. we could hear the neighbours though the walls.. strange solution to the bathroon..so we judge this to a two star hotel

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2017

The hotel is in a very nice central location in a side street off the main street in the old town. The hotel is next door to a billiards/pool club which was a little noisy in the evening with the sound of balls being potted. The club was not open late so it was not an issue for us. Being just off the main street meant that our front facing room was a little quieter but there was still some noise from outside. The hotel does not have air conditioning and as the weather was hot we really needed the window open.
The room was clean and comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming.
The breakfast was a little disappointing with a limited range on the buffet. The food was of reasonable quality though.

Room Tip: Ask for a rear facing room for a quiet night.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2016

The only half decent thing about this place is its location. Here's some of the things that disappointed me the most.

1. I arrived at 10:30 pm so i had to walk 2km in order to pick up my key from a place "they work together with".

2. They assured me there was free Parking but when i arrived there was no such thing. Needless to say the 13e i payed for it were not returned to me.

3. One of the beds was broken. Now i don't mean damaged, i mean destroyed, it was impossible to sleep on it.

4. The place was not clean at all. Dust everywhere, stains etc.

5. The biggest disappointment was the actual staff. From the cleaning girl that didn't even say hi back to any of us, to the person at the desk who a) refused to give us 10 extra minutes for the check out, b) was exceptionally rude to me when i apologized for not speaking German and c) forced me to pay by cash without providing a decent reason.

I would not suggest this place.

PS: Wifi wasnt working anywhere.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Alex I
Reviewed November 30, 2016

Friendly staff and warm welcome. Large comfortable room in prime location at very reasonable cost. Had problem related to Lufthansa strike and staff were very helpful even though not their problem. No problem in recommending it.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo