“A nice central hotel - but book a courtyard room” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Goldener Hecht
Ranked #41 of 76 Hotels in Heidelberg
Arlington, VA
“A nice central hotel - but book a courtyard room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2011

This was a nice reasonably priced hotel - clean, comfortable beds, helpful staff, but it is right at the Old Bridge and if you have an outside room it is quite noisy on weekend evenings, especially in summer when your windows are open. The breakfast was good but not included in price. We didn't eat at the restaurant but it is supposed to be excellent - a beautiful outdoor setting looking out to bridge. Well located. There are rooms that open onta a central courtyard which are probably much quieter.

Room Tip: Book ahead to get a inside (courtyard) room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank David A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
renens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

I booked this hotel because it was close to the city center where my conference was held, and I was thrilled to discover it was also cozy and romantic. The room had a lovely view of the old bridge and was tastefully decorated. The breakfast was very generous. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Silverthorne, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2011

I stumbled upon this quaint, friendly hotel when I was told I could not extend by one night at Vier Jahreszeiten where I had stayed the night of my arrival in Heidelberg. They were full. That was not much of a disappointment as I had encountered only rude service there. In contrast, the woman I inquired about rooms of at Goldener Hecht at about 9 PM was kind, polite and most helpful. She said I could bring my luggage as early as I wanted the next day and they would store it until the room was available. I brought my luggage at about 10:30 AM and the owner, Eva, kindly stored it and then called a taxi for me. She gave me a key to my room. When I returned at about 4 PM, I was delighted to find a bright, airy room with beautiful flower boxes in the windows and some historic charm to the furniture and decor. The bed was very comfortable; the only odd thing about the room was the shape. There was no hairdryer in the room, but one could be borrowed on request. Dinner in the restaurant and breakfast the next morning were both perfectly satisfactory, if not anything exceptional. The fragrant fresh flowers in the lobby/landing areas were a really nice touch. Eva was nothing but kind and helpful during my stay, even offering to carry my luggage down the next day and seeming genuinly concerned when my taxi was a bit slow arriving. Since the rate included breakfast and Internet was only 3 euros extra, I thought that it was quite reasonable cost-wise. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone for its excellent location in the historic old part of Heidelberg, its charming rooms, reasonable prices and friendly service.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Lovely owner, and my favorite room is Mark Twain. The room was updated. Was said about the old furniture. The receptionist is very helpful and friendly. Fabulous location, next to Heidelberg bridge. Continental breakfast is fresh and filling. Stayed there twice with my dachshund Nefertiny.

• Stayed May 2011
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

This modest (13 rooms) independent hotel is literally a few yards away from the picturesque Old Bridge (Alte Brucke) over the Neckar river. A room with a river view is far preferable to one giving on to the inner courtyard. The location is superb for the old town, the university or just for gazing onto the riverine world of barges, skiffs, rowing crews and pleasure boats. The staggered breakfast times ensure you have enough space in the charming little breakfast room to appreciate a hearty continental breakfast. I was given 6 varieties of cold meats plus a boiled egg exquisitely poised between hard and soft- no mean feat.

• Stayed May 2011
Padua, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

I booked a double room online. Got a confirmation email which told me my booking was for 1 person. When I wrote back to say I had a booked a double room for 2 people they told me a different rate and if I wanted to cancel the booking, I should do so by the online service. I didn't do this and I received a subsequent email telling me my booking had been cancelled, without my asking! It seems the other reviews criticising the customer service are correct, I experienced this without even getting to the hotel!!

Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
München, Deutschland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

I stayed in Heidelberg last month because of a private seminar and I was looking for nice place to stay and that was close to the seminar location. Of course there are lots of hotels to choose from in Heidelberg, but also wanted one with a view of river that would not bust my bank account. The goldener Hecht was good choice. The hotel is located directly on the Alte Brück and you even have the option of choosing your own room. I chose the Mark Twain room, alittle more expensive, since I wanted a view of the Neckar and the Atle Brück. The room itself was nice, had lots of space and was nicely furnished. The hotel personnel were very nice. There were however some downside which might keep some people from selecting this hotel. Breakfast was included in the price, but the breakfast room itself is very small. During the winter there are not too many people there, but during the summer I can imagine there is line to get a table for breakfast. I also found it strange thought that the internet was not free. Also if you not able to carry your luggage up stairs then this is not the hotel for you.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business