“Fantastic for families of small children”
Review of Hotel Edelweiss

Hotel Edelweiss
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Hamburg, Germany
“Fantastic for families of small children”
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We visited the Edelweiss with our 4-year-old and our 8-week-old baby, and couldn't have been more delighted. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. As an example,the "maitre d'" inquired about and brought special food items on request for my 4-year-old (he also brought by coloring paper & crayons). Also, the children's food buffet offered several healthy choices.. not just the usual fish sticks & french fries. We felt like valued guests, and couldn't have been more appreciative.

We had reserved on a Halbpension (half board) basis and found the food in the restaurant to be wonderful - there was always a vegetarian appetizer, main entree, and dessert. Breakfast had an excellent range of choices.

We had the large family suite, which was spacious (plenty of room to park a large stroller... or 10 large strollers!) and had a complete second bedroom as well. A nice touch was the music throughout the room - there was a small panel in the bathroom which controlled this. (note, our room had a bathtub - apparently some rooms do not). Not only was a crib (baby cot) provided at no charge, the bedding for it was very nice, and we were also given a changing pad and diaper pail. The Kinderclub (children's play area) was lovely and well-staffed. The indoor pool had a spectacular view over the Alps.

I had several massages at the spa and was very satisfied with the service.

Even the cleaning staff were very friendly and helpful.

The location could not be better ,as it is in the center of town , with walking distance to the entire Altstadt (old town). Also, parking is free - there is a well-lit designated area in the city center parking garage - be sure to ask at check-in how to navigate that.

We couldn't say enough positive things about the service and accommodations at the Edelweiss, particularly for families. Looking forward to a return trip next summer..

Room Tip: The side of the hotel near the main square tended to be noisy on the weekend nights.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank whereisjennifer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
London
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I loved this hotel. The facilities were excellent - free Wi-Fi, supervised playroom for children between 9am - 9pm, great food, fantastic service, nice rooms, central location, free car park, free postcards and all very reasonably priced. Great pool and spa area on the roof of the hotel. At breakfast and dinner it was possible to feed the children and then drop them off at the supervised playroom so that the parents could eat in peace.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2011

A lovely Hotel with fantastic facilities, although new and very modern it still maintains a very distinct Bavarian flavour.Excellent Spa and leisure facilities. Great food and drink and excellent location for visiting the many historic sites locally.

We would have liked a print facility from the Computers provided in the Lobby .

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DublinHank
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We spended the last night of our Bavaria trip at the Edelweiss hotel in Berctesgaden. We were a bit doubtful if this four star hotel would meet our requirements, but were really positively surprised. The hotel is only one year old and the facilities are very tidy and clean. The hotel room was really big and beds of high quality. The biggest plus goes to the hotel's sauna and pool departments. The pool on the top floor opened beautiful and peaceful views to the surrounding mountains. I would also like to mention the excellent breakfast with several fresh berry and fruit juices. Also the service on the reception and restaurants were of top class. We can warmly recommend this hotel to travelling couples.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AnnaRHelsinki
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This is a Lovely hotel in a great location. the rooms are nice, the food is good and most of the staff were very nice. We were a large group who went to Berchtesgaden to attend a family party(who live there) and we all had the same 2 complaints; 1: there seems to be a prob with electronic keys, on a number of nights we had trouble getting back into the hotel and there was no staff or security to let us in, and some of our party had trouble trying to get into their room at night, one person ended up having to sleep in the lobby as his key would not work, 1this is a big issue they need to address. 2: there is a nice sauna, jacuzzi, and pool on the 6th floor but can get crowded and noisy with kids, the one on the 5th floor is beautiful and peacefull but we could not use it unless we were nude, this is not something everyone is comfortable with so I feel it should be "optional", I have never heard of being asked to leave for wearing swimwear, I felt this unfair, it's not like choosing to go to a nudist beach, we paid our money for the use of the spa and were not allowed to use it uless we took our clothes off, this is a rule that needs to be changed so i hope more people email them to complian. It's a shame, as we are frequent visitors to this area and the Hotel is lovely.

Room Tip: This is a Lovely hotel in a great location. the rooms are nice, the food is good and most of the sta...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank singer025
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This hotel is fantastic, and I don't say that often. It has the advantage of being new, but even so, everything is high quality and artistically decorated. My room had a view of the remains of the Eagles' Nest and the surrounding mountains. Because of the event I was attending I had a larger room than a single would normally occupy, but I'm sure the regular single rooms are just as nice. Some people who stayed on the pedestrian walkway side of the building complained that people were loud in the streets on Friday night, but the hotel cannot control this aspect. You might ask for a room on the regular street side (facing Eagles). The bed was very comfortable. No bathtub in my room, which isn't unusual in Germany.
The breakfast was great, lots of choices and everything fresh and tasty. They have many dining areas with about the same menu. I had the schnitzel (veal) a couple of time and the first one was a little wimpy on size, but my second one was of a goodly portion. I guess it depends on who is cooking. I tried a pizza and it was ok, I guess I have been spoiled by the ones in Italy.
WiFi internet is free in the lobby, but for some reason they only have wired internet in the rooms. I guess this is the only minus. I couldn't get the wired internet to work on my laptop. Since I had other internet connections available I didn't request assistance to see if they could get it to work for me.
I tried out the pool and outdoor whirlpool. The pool was the perfect temperature, and the whirlpool was lukewarm (which was fine for the weather). I was expecting a hot tub so it was a little surprising. However, the cooler temperature allowed me to soak longer and take in the magnificent view of the mountains. This was a true place of relaxation and peace. While I didn't try them, there is another tub (maybe hot) and a selection of four or five different sauna types (sauna mania). They also have an exercise room and spa. This is a place I could stay for a month at, no problem.
One other down side is that the taxis charge big money for a short trip from the hotel to the train station (about 7 Euro). It is a very short trip and there is no reason for it to cost so much. On the up side, the hotel provides you with free bus passes that allow you to explore the area for free - what a great value add!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the street and Eagles' Nest
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Seavapor
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Only used the Hotel Restaurant and it was fantastic, there were various restaurants in the hotel and we used the one just off the square. I had a Pizza (house special) and my wife had a pasta meal. I have never struggled to finish a pizza before but this one was huge. The staff all spoke English and were very good at their job. My only disappointment, I found it on our last night in Berchtesgaden.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple