“Old, kind of shabby”

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Berchtesgaden
Spokane
“Old, kind of shabby”
Reviewed 15 August 2011

To be fair, we arrived in heavy rain and overcast, and I was disappointed that the family decision was to forgo Hallstad because of the weather. But the place just seemed dark, shabby and dismal. Strange labarynth to get to our rooms. Guests in the hallway woke us up during the night. On the positive side, the restaurant was excellent for dinner. The included breakfast wasn't bad either.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Balzan, Malta
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My wife and I fell in love with this Hotel. First of all the views - we opted for a south facing room and when we woke up in the morning we would spend ages looking at the mountains in front of us. We were lucky enough to have excellent weather during the days we were in Berchtesgaden. The hotel and the room are in need of some refurbishment however they are quite comfortable. The breakfast was also adequate. We opted not to dine at the Hotel even though the restaurant came highly recommended. The reason was that the weather was so good that we didn't want to stay cooped up indoors.
One word of advice, when booking ask for a south facing room!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trevordg
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a night because we wanted to do the konigssee and go up Mt Jenner. This hotel had a very real feel in a beautiful quaint town. The views from the balconies are great. You are situated in the heart of the alps with huge peaks everywhere. The views are much better in Berctesgaden when compared to Salzburg. The shower had great water pressure. It felt like a massage. Our room was spacious and had an extra living room area and a balcont with a great view. The restaurant food wass a great and the atmosphere was authentic and very nice. We loved this hotel bc it wasn't swarming with tourists and the town was very unique. We felt like locals here.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Saskatoon
Reviewed 25 June 2011

If you are planning a trip to Berchtesgaden, don't stay anywhere else. The room was very clean and comfortable, the balcony had a beautiful view. The hospitality of Peter and his staff made our stay very memorable. Best supper ever - and a breakfast that was one of our best in Europe and we had lots to compare to. The breakfast had everything for everybody's taste. We would definitely stay here again. Peter was even kind enough to insist that we use his personal cell phone when we needed to reach a family member back home and we really appreciated that personal touch.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 May 2011

We arrived by car without having any reservations in Berchtesgaden. The hotel is at the top of the hill, but very convenient to walk to the center of town. The hotel room was dated but clean and comfortable. I think there is a newer section of the hotel with nicer rooms, but since we didn't have reservations we were happy to stay there. The food in the restaurant is wonderful. We ordered stuffed duck and chicken with white asparagus. It was the best food we had in Germany and reasonably priced. The room included breakfast. The view of the mountains from the breakfast dining room was amazing. We would stay here again.
I would also highly suggest taking the Salzberwerk (Salt Mine) Tour. We all enjoyed sliding down into the mine and the tour was very informative and interesting.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JMJ024
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2011

As the previous review states - you must be willing to walk up steep hills. But to be fair most of Berchtesgaden is uphill. The hotel is directly above the train station and a small walk towards shops and restaurants. The receptionist was a but frosty but i believe that was down to a language barrier and she forgot to give us bus cards and tried to claim we were lying about it. Our room was large and we had a small balcony but the view was of the car park. Buses do stop outside the hotel which take you past the train station or to lake konigssee. A nice hotel with amazing views at breakfast. The breakfast buffet was full of choice and the staff members were very friendly.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank claireyelle
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 April 2011

First of all, the web-site should state somewhere that the hotel is up the hill from the train station and there are stairs and an incline that one must go up in order to reach the hotel. These stairs and passage way are not very obvious so, take note. Those who have lots of luggage or any type of physical limitations should consider this before booking the hotel. I am in very good shape and this would be a bit tiring for me with luggage. Second of all, I personally called this hotel four times trying to find it or get some type of guidance as to where it was while I was wondering around the entire town looking for it (not knowing it was up the hill). The first time I called the woman working the front desk told me that this was not the hotel, the second time I used the redial on my phone and called the EXACT same number and the woman told me I was near and to go up the hill, oh yea...okay, well upon climbing this hill I ask a random man if the hotel is near and he tells me it is on the opposite side of town. Well, I guess that was not the hill so I call AGAIN. This time, she does not even answer the phone (and yes the hotel phone has caller ID, I took the liberty of checking for myself when I finally got there.) So now I am walking to the other side of town....I call for the third time...the woman tells me to try this hill I am describing to her, there are a million hills in this town, it’s in the middle of the Alps. This is of course after she has me sit on hold on the phone knowing full well that I have an Italian cell phone number and calling Germany from my Italian SIM chip is not cheap. So, I walked to the gas station the attendant was nice enough to tell me where to go and give me some “landmarks” for reference points to make sure I was going in the right direction. FINALLY, after an hour and a half of hiking up and down hills with luggage and in the rain I get to the hotel. The receptionist does not even say hello or anything merely hands me a piece of paper to fill out with personal information and gives me the key. Says absolutely NOTHING to me, a few times I pass her as I am coming and going from the hotel that evening and she still says nothing to me. I will NEVER EVER, EVER stay here again and I am writing this review to suggest to you to do the same. I would like to add that I have traveled extensively within Europe and this is the worst customer service (if you could even call it that) I have ever recieved.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple