“Best Day Trip Excursion Ever”

Berchtesgaden Salt Mines
Salzburg Super Saver: Bavarian Mountains including Eagle's Nest and Salt Mines
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Hands down this was the best excursion we have ever done. We were staying in Salzburg, Austria, and it was only a 30 minute drive to the salt mines in Berchtesgaden. We chose this mine over one in Austria because it allowed for smaller children, and we made the right choice. Berchtesgaden is our favorite town in the world, and the outstanding visit to the salt mines iced the cake! You must go.

1  Thank toothdoctor

Reviewed 25 March 2012

On our last day in Salzburg in the heart of winter, my colleague and I decided on a whim to take a morning tour across the border into Germany for the salt mine. A fabulous scenic drive over the wintry mountain range (Views of Eagle's Nest included) and we were in Germany, right at the salt mines an hour later. Donning mining workclothes we took a tram (?) ride into the heart of the mountain and proceeded down two slides - what an exhilarating ride (the German senior citizens on the same guided tour seemed to think the same too!) After the historical and scientific parts of the tour were over, we were treated to a surreal and beautiful boat ride over the salt lake; the light and laser (?) show making the experiece quite otherworldly. I would recommend everyone young and old not give this a miss. I know my children would have enjoyed it had they been there with me. And the best part, we made it back into Salzburg at lunch with more than ample time to make it for our afternoon flight out of Europe. Am glad I went.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

This is a tour in every sense of the word. You go down in a group, experience things in a group, listen to pre-set talking points in a group, etc. But it is also informative and fun if you let it be. Our group, unfortunately, seemed more set on getting to the next slide and the boat ride rather than taking in the information, but we found the displays to be very interesting and informative. It is cool to learn about a mining operation's history while deep in the mining works; It gives you a sense of perspective.

The pre-done displays of lasers and dramatic lights were a little cheesy, I thought, but added to the fun. The slides were REALLY fun and I liked getting suited up in the mine works (plus I didn't have to worry about wear on my pants.) The underground lake ride reminded me of the scene from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Those of you who loved the books will enjoy the silently moving boat running along a half-submerged boat in a lake inside a cave.

I wouldn't go out of my way to do this tour, especially with the great outdoor offerings in Berchtesgaden, but I don't regret doing it either.

1  Thank inothernews
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Well orginized trip to old salt mine.
You must visit it in Berchtesgaden, especially if you have your children with you.

Reviewed 25 February 2012

Amazing adventure to the center of mountain. Nice for both kids and adults. 90 mins of interesting trip in the mines and on the mirror lake.