“My Favorite Walk in Garmsich”

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Leavenworth, Kansas
11 helpful votes
“My Favorite Walk in Garmsich”
Reviewed 13 January 2008

Beginning by the Stadium, you walk on a paved path. !Caution, there are horse drawn carriages, and the horses leave things behind.!
Passing between shops, we reached the beginning of our hike. After paying a small fee (in Euro) we entered the cave. The cave generally covers your left and the roof, with the right side open to the water; a river of melted glacial water moving at a rock-crushing pace down the mountain. This was my favorite part of the walk, despite the chill and the occasional splash. It was over all too soon, and we walked into a little beach/valley area. After playing for a few minutes in the water, we continued up-stream and found the map board. The Map Board contains information about how long the walk should last, where it goes, what restaurants are on that walk, and how hard it is. There are many different walks available, some even leading to a bridge high above the River Gorge. Being unfortunately pressed for time due to a previous engagement, we took the shortest walk. We walked up part of the mountain on a forested path, crossing small mountain streams on wooden bridges, then finally reaching the top of our path. Thrust into light, we were surrounded by green fields, Alpine buildings, sheep, and mountain tops with forest. It was spectacular. The last part of the walk was the hardest: Coming back down. The path down was at a severe angle, and littered with loose rocks. We took it slowly, and there were no casualties (besides calf muscles.). When we reached the bottom, we were at the beginning of the River walk, where we paid.
It was absolutely spectacular, wonderful, however, it is not meant for strollers or very young children. On our hike, we had little trouble with our group of 8 children (aged 7+) and 4 adults.
Definitly a must-do if you enjoy walks or hiking!

5 Thank FortitudeSouth
Knoxville,TN
6 helpful votes
“Wonderful Holiday stay”
Reviewed 1 January 2008

Lovely town to spend the Christmas Holiday-- We stayed at Dorint Sporthotel, right across from the new ski jump. Their underground passageways sheltered us from the cold as we moved from our room to dinner and the Spa. The free bus pass made it so easy to get around both towns and even to the ski lifts. Scenic mountain views, lovely town, wonderful hotel and great people. We would definitely go back -- maybe tryspring or summer next time to experience what that season has to offer.

2 Thank kwconsult
Omaha, Nebraska
3 helpful votes
“My favorite place in Germany.”
Reviewed 14 November 2007

This town (actually two towns) on the Deutschland/Oesterreich border is beautiful year round. It was my favorite place to visit in Deutschland (I lived in Deutschland three years). Yes, there are some touristy things and it can be expensive (what place in western Europe isn't expensive with the poor exchange rate?), but what you get in scenery, history and hospitality is worth the cost. If you're military you have the Edelweiss Lodge to stay at or you can experience what non- US/NATO military travellers do staying in one of the many nice hotels and apartments on the economy.

You're in the Alps at the foot of the Zugspitze and just a short drive from Innsbruck, Neu Schwanstein, Hohen Schwangau and Linderhof Castle. In the winter you can ski/snowboard (provided global warming doesn't nix the snow) and in spring/summer there's plenty of hiking to do.

There are many fine eating/drinking establishments. Some places are quite traditional and you may find yourself sitting with total strangers - it's a great way to meet new people, share and learn. I've eaten really great German, Italian and Indian food in town. There are other choices - including McDonalds and Pizza Hut, but hey, you're in Deutschland, try something new. As for beverages: a nice dunkel Weizen, German white wine or Italian red wine are great to add to a meal. (Sorry, my pix are on my other computer - I'm still unpacking.)

3 Thank hughgonot
A TripAdvisor Member
“I must be dreaming”
Reviewed 18 October 2004

When I first heard the name Garmische, I just thought it was just a small town in German. But anyone who's planning to make a trip to German, pleaseeee do include this lovely town in your list. You won't be regret to stay there for a few nights. Nice people, beautiful houses and clear sky.
Thank you Garmiche. I will return to you one day.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Winter Wonderland”
Reviewed 24 March 2004

I can't say enough about the beauty of the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area of Bavaria. It was as if my husband and I were transported to a winter wonderland of such beauty that it took our breath away. We are from Texas so we do not see this type of winter. We felt like we were in one of those Budweiser commercials for Christmas with the Budweiser horse pulling the sleigh. All we were missing was the horse. I know I am gushing but I will always remember the beauty of the countryside and the uniqueness of the homes. Everyone lives in Gingerbread homes and I mean everyone. I couldn't believe it! I kept wondering when I would step out of this fairy tale and come back to the real world. I don't think we could have come at a better time for the beauty of winter but everyone tells me that the summer is even prettier as every home competes with each other to see who can have the prettiest flowers in their flower boxes. I bet that is something to see! I highly recommend Garmisch-Partenkirchen for a vacation you will never forget.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Garmisch-Partenkirchen? Share your experiences!