“Wunderbar Bavarian Castles Tour”

European Castles Tours
Book In Advance
US$58.71*
and up
Skip-the-Line: Neuschwanstein Castle Tour from Fuessen Including Horse-Drawn...
US$110.23*
and up
Bavaria Highlights Tour from Fuessen: Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, Oberammergau...
US$50.32*
Skip the Line: Neuschwanstein Castle Afternoon Tour from Füssen
Ranked #3 of 4 Tours in Fussen
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer scheduled and private day tours from Munich and Fuessen to castle, scenic, and cultural highlights in Bavaria and Austria - including Neuschwanstein and King Ludwig's other castles, Oberammergau, Rothenburg, Mt. Zugspitze, Lake Constance, Eagle's Nest, Innsbruck, Salzburg…. We also offer week-long tours in Bavaria, the Rhine region, Austria, France, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Italy, Portugal, and Ireland - with emphasis on castles, character hotels, fantastic food, and full guide services. We offer private short tours from Munich and tailor-made itineraries.
Reviewed 17 September 2014

We just returned from the Bavarian Castles Tour and it was Wunderbar. The attention to detail and organization of the tour was impeccable. Our guide, Carolin, was energetic and caring and had an encyclopedic knowledge about Bavaria and King Ludwig II.
Each day was packed with several sites to visit. A meticulously planned itinerary allowed for just the right amount of time at each stop. It's important to note that you need to be punctual and be on the bus at the specified time.
Our group of about 22 hailed from the U.S., Great Britain, Australia, and Scotland. It is an English speaking tour. The Landhaus Kossel is a comfortable and charming inn. A tasty breakfast buffet was provided each morning for a hearty start to the day. On most evenings the dinner was arranged for our group, lunch was usually on our own. Food was delicious. Lots of beer and wine if you want it.
Each day we traveled in a comfortable Mercedes Benz bus, safely driven by Andre. There were ample rest stops as well as an emergency toilet on the bus. NOTE: the tour days were long and sometimes involved lots of walking and steps.
We also enjoyed some lovely horse drawn carriage rides and took a couple of ferries on lakes.
Comfortable walking shoes that won't be ruined if they get wet are a must. Dress is casual. The weather can change from warm to cold to sunny to overcast to damp to rainy and back, all in the same day -- be prepared with layers, umbrella, rain jacket/poncho. We could securely leave on board the bus whatever we didn't need at each stop. Easy to be prepared.
We also appreciated the transfers to/from Munich airport. This tour is designed to be as easy and friendly as possible. The driver and tour guide do all the hard work and attend to the details. Astrid will even print your boarding pass for you on the last night and deliver it to you at dinner.
Tipping Suggestion: 1-2 Euros per person per day for the driver; ~1 Euro per day per room for maid; 2-5 Euros per day per person for the tour guide. Tipping is not mandatory, but it is greatly appreciated.
Astrid sends a packet of important travel information and suggestions a few weeks prior to the tour date. Very helpful.
This is a truly outstanding tour, you will not be disappointed. And Bavaria is soooo beautiful.

5  Thank HappyTrailsBoston

Reviewed 9 September 2014

This was one of the most outstanding days of our holiday to Bavaria in Sept 2014. We booked on line several weeks ago, all instructions and information was clearly given before we arrived. We were met at the Bahnhof in Fussen by Peter who I would also give 5 stars too!!!!!.

We had dreadful weather at our first stop off point the Neuschwanstein Castle (we were all soaked to the skin). The tour continued to the Wieskirchen a Roccoco style church in the meadow, after which we moved onto Oberamergau town for a spot of lunch (not included in the price) and the piece de resistance of the trip was the Linderhof Schloss (or "Palace" as Peter repeatedly corrected himself). After which the heavens opened once more and guess what ... soaked again.

I can quite honestly say that this was a well organised and well rehearsed trip, our guide Peter has a brain full of facts and dates and is passionate about the role he has to play in your day. It would also appear that the same passion is shared by all the guides from Castle Tours ( we met several through the day).

Thanks also to the group who we travelled with, seven of us in total, you also made it a great day.

3  Thank apache_sim
Reviewed 6 September 2014

Based on other reviews, I chose Astrid's company for our Bavarian castle tour, and added the Venice extension. I couldn't have made a better choice! The sights speak for themselves, I can't add to the beauty of what we visited, but I CAN make it easier for anyone deciding on a tour group. JOIN THIS ONE! I can't speak more highly of our tour guide, Carolin. She and Mustapha, our bus driver, and Astrid made this trip SO easy, SO comfortable, and SO affordable. Accommodations were made for the limited walking ability of my 82 yo dad, with wheelchairs and motor scooters, which I was grateful for. The itinerary was wonderful, with full days, but not overly tiring. The hotels were great, the food was too good, I gained 7 lbs! Carolin, we love you!

2  Thank LAVRPH
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We booked a private day tour with this company. If I had to do it again, I would not book a private tour but a group tour. It is not worth the $$$ to pay for a private tour to the Eagles Nest when really all the tour guide is doing is dropping you off at the site. I think we paid 155e a person for this tour. When we got to Eagles Nest, it was a beautiful sunny day but the lines for the tickets were long so our tour guide suggested we come back at 3pm. He dropped us off at the town below for several hours. When we finally we able to go to Eagles nest, it took 30min in line for elevator and the view at the top was poor. Clouds etc.. We talked to a lady who had gone earlier in the am and she said the view was spectacular. I know you cannot blame the tour guide on the view but wish we had gone earlier. The rest of our trip, we had group tours and they were better then this tour and we paid like $40 E per person. I thought Franz was a nice guy and tried hard but we had trouble understanding his english. Take the train or the bus and save your $ .

2  Thank Lori D
AstridBaur, Inhaber at European Castles Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2014

Hello Lori D,

sorry you feel that taking a private tour is not worth it. You say you paid EUR 155 per person and all you got was dropped of at the site. Well, not exactly. You got a private van from 9 am to 6 pm, picking you up and dropping you off at the hotel, so 9 hours, drove 100s of kilometers and had a private driver guide for 9 hours as well. And all entrances, fees, etc.
I think what you meant is that you did not like the weather and the lines and the traffic. Well, neither did we - but the mountains are a highlight for everyone in the area after a long period of rain and we cannot control who else wants to be there.
All our guides are trained to make the most of the day and they know how - but cannot move clouds and lines and traffic jams, yet.
Luckily we also have many reviews from days where it was raining cats and dogs and our guests still had the time of their lives.
So if people take your advise and take the train or the bus - the result will be the same on a cloudy and busy day - those things are beyond ours and everyone else's control and have nothing to do with a private or public tour.
The day before you sent this review you sent me an e-mail ending " we had a good day but we just wanted to give you feedback" so I hope the first part of the sentence will be what you remember of your day with us.
Kind regards from rainy Bavaria, Astrid

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is one of my favorite castles! It's beautiful and picturesque on the outside and so ingenious on the inside. The castle can only be seen by tour and no photos are allowed. I recommend scheduling a tour, the first one of the day. That way you can skip the crowds and the wait that goes with that. If it's foggy or rainy and the forecast says it'll clear up later, I'l try to go later in the day for a great view. I also recommend seeing this castle and the Hohenswangau Castle, as well.

2  Thank Jean B