“Got things stollen (probably by their cleaning service)!”

Metropol Hostel Berlin
Ranked #214 of 360 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 10 January 2017

Very bad and unprofessional experience!
I stayed there in December, sharing room only with colleagues (we always left and came back together). I got shopping bag full of new stuff stolen from the room, either by their cleaning service or somebody else (since when we returned, the room was cleaned and the door left open)!!! I reported the theft immediately but the manager refused to refund any money, saying I can’t prove anything. He said he talked to their stuff and they are saying nobody took anything. I wanted to check on cameras (which are probably not filming at all) but they say cameras can’t show if the door was really left opened but it can be seen that when cleaning lady returned from my room, she wasn’t having any new bags (it’s like a very bad joke). At the end they blamed the theft on me and stopped all the communication.
I’m very disappointed, I have never experienced such an attitude to guests before and I strongly recommend staying away from this hostel! Disaster!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
2  Thank pomaranca99

Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

I visited here on my own for 3 nights and it was as I expected. I stayed in a mixed dorm; most were male but there was one other female guest in the room. The hostel is located close to the city centre and the underground etc. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was a great little bonus too! I didn't have any problems whatsoever so I would stay again. Thanks guys!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Francess B
Reviewed 5 September 2016

we stayed there for a weekend trip to Berlin. It is located very cloe to an U6 and U7 metro station, which is very conveniant as thise to lines can be used to reach the Tegel airport. we had a double room with provate bathroom and everything was just fine. the room very basic but big and clean. the breakfast was also very basic, but ok./ it seems local currywurst and kebab bars are famous. the hostel is in a nightime party area. it is cvlose to a bio-vegan supermarket with a nica bar, ideal for coffee. the tempelhof airport site is also very close, it was a spontaneous decision toi visit it, it is very surprising, one of highlights of the stay.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Michal M
Reviewed 25 August 2016

I stayed here for one night and it was good for the night. The rooms are spacious and clean. Beds are comfortable and clean. Showers and toilets are basic, don´t expect much. Staff is really nice and always helpful. Check in was easy and quick and even the wifi was working in the room. If you come late no problem they open 24/7.
All in all it was a perfect place if you don´t waste your time staying in the room the whole day. The hostel is located in kreuzberg next to the metro station 'Mehringdamm' and in front of the hostel is the famous 'Mustafa´s Gemüse Kebab'.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Fabian A
Reviewed 7 August 2016

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 25 July 2016 via mobile

I stayed here during a weekend in high season. Although I found the price relatively high (€75 for a double), we could still arange a room 1 day in advance, which was a good thing.
The other good thing is that the room was neat, large and had a working bathroom. The water comming out of the shower could be better though, because it was cold most of the time we wanted to take a shower.
The best thing about the hostel was the location for me. It was right next to Kreutzberg (the cool neighborhood) and loads of famous food stalls right outside it's door. Bicycling and public transport from here on is easy as well. Overall a recommendation!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 July 2016

The entrance to Metropol Hostel is on the third floor of the building. When I got there, there was no working lift, so I had to drag my luggage up several flights of stairs. When I finally got to the front desk, I asked about the wi-fi and they told me it was broken. The room I booked had eight beds, but only two power outlets and six lockers. After navigating the labyrinthine hallways to find the bathroom, I realized that there were no soap dispensers. I've stayed in cheaper hostels in other cities that had much better living conditions. The central location does not justify the price - staying at Metropol is barely a step above being homeless.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo