“Great venue and fantastic music”
Review of Quasimodo

Quasimodo
Ranked #53 of 129 Concerts & Shows in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the city's most popular jazz bars.
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Whilst it was busy, it was not overly crowded. The drinks were reasonably priced and the music and atmosphere were great. The band that was playing was called Funk Delicious. Would definitely return the next time I'm in Berlin.

2  Thank confusedexpat

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We certainly picked the right night to go here. Big Jay McNeely played rythm & blues from the 40-50s and he was just amazing. Good crowd and polite and helpful bartenders. Unforgettable. We were very lucky to randomly end up at Quasimodo that night, so a tip is to check out who`s playing on their website on beforehand. Don`t confuse the restaurant upstairs with the club downstairs. The entrance is down the stairs on the left side of the restaurant.

2  Thank Ingvild775
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The thing about Quasimodo that is sometimes not clear to visitors or others, is there are basically two venues at the same location. You have the upstairs, which is a bar and restaurant combined where there is music, usually more mainstream. Then you have the Quasimodo club that is located downstairs, which you can reach by stairs on the lefthand side of the building. Downstairs is usually jazz, both more well-known performers like Lisa Stanfield for example, or more scene favors that may have been around for some time. I've been to both multiple times.

Upstairs has many tables inside, and you'll find locals who visit regularly in the afternoon or evenings for a tea or coffee and a sandwich while reading their paper. Out front and up-top, there is great outdoor seating in one of the popular and well-known areas of the city, so it's a good place to people watch also. Prices aren't very expensive for the area, for beer, wine and so forth.

Downstairs at the club, it can get loud of course, as performers crank out the tunes, and there is moderate amount and seating and lots of standing room. Despite having some really good bands and vocalists at times, there isn't often a true jazz club feel to the venue because it is a well-known spot, which unfortunately draws that number and type of German that has too much to drink and cannot seem to understand you don't talk, laugh and hoot loudly during performances because you're with your friends. So with the higher price of entry than average plus well-known spot, you get the more well-to-do types who think it's their right to behave boorishly.

If you are a true jazz enthusiast, go someplace else with far better atmosphere and spirit unless you just want to see a specific group that might be playing. This one has generally become too popular with a certain type of crowd. Lots of great posters of former performers and true greats of jazz and rock, but Quasimodo's heyday has passed, maybe they'll get it back again somehow.

2  Thank AlexanderZ68
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The seats were simple, hard, wooden garden-style chairs and were very uncomfortable. The décor was nice, with a lovely outdoor seating area but it was far too cold to sit outside when we visited. The bar was fairly quiet and the drinks were reasonably priced but the music was so quiet we couldn't even make out what it was. Maybe we just caught it on a bad night, but it was reasonably late on a Saturday night so I struggle to imagine when it could have been better.

1  Thank KadieZ
See more reviews
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Somehow, my journey planning abilities weren't working in my favour the night I was headed to Quasimodo. I'd booked my ticket online via the Berliner Festspiele website and was supposed to pick it up at the venue by a certain time, so when I finally found the place on Kantstraße, I was flustered from running around dark Berlin streets. However, I needn't have worried: the lady on the door got my name and presented me with my envelope.

Jazzfest Berlin 2012 was on and I was there to see Marius Neset live with his band, playing 'Golden Xplosion'. The venue was packed with instantly identifiable jazz heads. Mostly seniors; I was probably the youngest person present by no stretch of the imagination. I edged my way nearer the front as there was limited seating and certainly none left for me. As the show went on, I ended up sitting on the floor, which I have no qualms about; and about four people soon gave in and joined me.

The bar was busy, and service was swift and polite enough, but could do with a smile! The venue was too cramped and could do with a makeover. The overall impression I have of the decor: dark, neon lighting, some photos of jazz musicians – uninspired. The toilets were in an acceptable condition (though it took me a few seconds to figure out which were for females with no pictogram!)...

The band were fantastic; there was a great atmosphere and deep appreciation of jazz music from the audience which was vocalised into requests for *two* encores. So ratings to this venue for what it offered (me) in musical terms!

I made my way to the venue from station 'Berlin Zoologischer Garten'.
Note to self: figure out night journey beforehand as train station closed but there are several night buses services available.