“Very Convenient”

Ranked #83 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Very Convenient”
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Although seems very well organized for a Business Hotel, is great for pleasure. Price/calue ratio is great. Location is great, the staff is friendly, rooms big, clean, food is good, and the environment feels great. definitely will stay here again when I come back to Berlin.

Room Tip: for a little bit more you can get excecutive room with internet and other discounts included.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MexKaz
Gregor_Linhart, Manager at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 2 November 2016
Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Southampton UK
Reviewed 20 March 2012

It is a nice hotel. We were a little worried after reading other trip advisor reports but found our experience was very different. Great breakfast. Restaurant very expensive so used local restaurants of which there are many. Hop on hop off bus stop just round the corner along with underground. Although most sites within 15 min walk from hotel.

We arrived by train and weas only a 5 min taxi ride. Hotel staff efficient. Lack of smiles but service good. Free wi fi. Perhaps the rest of the Crowne Plaza's will follow suit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bully1959Canaries
Viernheim
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Hotel seems to be avrage business hotel. Locations is good, but rooms need to be refurbuished. I didn't feel cosy there. Also wi-fi was overpriced and a signal was poor.
Hotel is ok if you found a good deal.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear Jane P,

Thank you for the feedback. I apologize that you did not find our hotel cosy. We strive to make sure every guest has a wonderful experience here and greatly appreciate the feedback if they don't.

Katie J
Case Manager
George Town, Malaysia
Reviewed 15 March 2012

good location, walking distance to train station, shopping arcade, restaurant etc. the bfast is just nice and the room is clean although the design is a bit out of trend, but you don't expect much from a biz hotel right...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed here in late February. My husband took part on a conference held at the hotel and I tagged along to visit the city. The hotel is clean, but the rooms are outdated and small.
The location is great for the Western part of the city. I walked to the zoo and the great shopping street, Ku'Dam. But, it was about a 15 Euro taxi ride to the museums on Museum Island. One complaint is that the toiletries were not replaced as we used them and we ended our stay with a tiny sliver of soap. It also seems that the housekeeping became more cursory each day.
The spa/swimming pool was pretty disappointing as well. I imagined (from the hotel's website) a larger and more luxurious spa. There is a jetted swimming pool but the water was pretty cold. There is one small sauna and on the day I visited, the naked man sitting there discouraged me from trying it. I did have a massage there one morning and the masseur was very good but the setting wasn't any nicer than your local chiropractic office.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kbutler2724
IHGCare, IHGCare at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear kbutler2724,

Thank you for choosing the Crowne Plaza Berlin City Center and for sharing your experience with us. So glad you took the advantage of our location to enjoy some nice things Berlin has to offer. It is regrettable to hear that you did not receive the housekeeping service that you were expecting and should have received. We would like to apologize and thank you for taking the time to write to us as we believe that we can only improve and ameliorate our services through our guest feedback.

Lin S.
Nottingham
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Where to start. Arrived at the hotel and was impressed with the reception, went to our room and was hugely disappointed. The room was tired/shabby. Went down to the reception and explained that I could not stay in that room as it is tired, staff could not understand the term "tired", I said it is shabby, they could not understand the term "shabby". I said it is disgrace to the Crowne Plaza chain and as this is our Christmas break I would like a room that has not got a dirty carpet, and broken down bathroom. I was also not happy that a bed was not made available for our 10 year old son. The response was that we had not informed them our son would be travelling with us and we would have to wait a couple of hours for them to make up another room. Went to lunch but not happy as I recollected that I had emailed the team before our arrival a few times to ensure that everything went smoothly and they most certainly did know we were travelling with our son.

Returned informed them they had known our son was with us at it was mentioned in my email exchange to them. No apology or response. Went to new room, very disappointed not much better then the first room. Informed that all the rooms are in need of a refurb. Not happy that our double bed has two single duvets, spoke to the manager who informed me that it is common in Germany to have two single duvets and not a double on a double bed. I explained that we would like a double and making sure that it would be some trouble he duly then provided us with a double duvet. I told him that I am a priority member and do not feel I am being treated as such, he asked to see my membership card (which I had left at home) when I could not produce it he seemed to doubt I was a priority member. My priority membership number is 898 508 034 (I was not lying). The next day all my reading matter had gone missing. 5 magazines which I had bought new at the airport. They could not find the maid and added that they did not know which maid had cleaned my room. I explained that I do not sleep well and have IBS and rely on the reading matter. The reception then presented me half an hour later with a glossy magazine which they state they had specially purchased for me. I thanked them but returned it to them explaining that looking at thin, glamorous models in fancy attire is the extreme opposite to the material I purchased. They then explained that they would get a couple of books for me, which was kind. Unfortunately these books were presented to me whilst I was down at the pool with my son. The woman presenting the books to me made it very clear that I could not leave the hotel with the books and that the books must be returned. The sale price on one book was $3, I have never felt so insulted in my life and let the reception know this. I also asked if it is common practice for them to behave like that or do they reserve that treatment for their black residents. Needless to say I immediately returned the books unread. On Christmas day there were some small gifts of fruit and chocolate in our room which was nice. The pool was too cold to swim in, I spoke to the attendant, notably the same one who implied I might steal/take the aforementioned books, she would not increase the temperature stating that I was the only one with a problem. I then spoke to the other 5 residents present and they agreed that the pool was too cold, she still refused to increase the temperature.

The bar in the hotel is nice but is only open in the evenings. Breakfast was okay. Would I stay again??? The rooms seriously need to be refurbished and even if refurbished are small. They need to have double duvets to hand rather than argue that it is custom to have two single on a double. My son spent 5 days over christmas sleeping on a z bed?? Location is great other than that the rest was a huge disappointment. There was a blond smaller lady on reception who was really friendly and helpful with directions to tourist spots, the taller blond lady on reception was somewhat aggressive, this is the one that claimed my son was not mentioned on the booking, I found her attitude somewhat offensive and said as much to the manager. Perhaps we are a bit spoilt, we celebrated christmas in Malta last year and stayed at the Radisson and they invited the guests down to the bar on christmas eve for canapes and a christmas drink, there was a carol service and it was very festive, when we returned to our rooms they had left a christmas stocking for my son and a game of connect four, we got a radio alarm clock, there were mince pies and chocolates and sweets galore. Sparkling white wine was also available for free throughout the Christmas stay. At the Crowne Plaza it felt like business as usual, there was certainly no festive cheer. With regards to Berlin it was great at Christmas and we will most certainly do christmas in Germany again, Munich or Cologne next time, would we stay at the Crowne Plaza in Berlin again, admittedly the location is great but the staff on the whole could be friendlier, and the rooms need to seriously be redecorated as they let the place down and the bar needs to be open lunch time onwards.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank munchkinNottingham
IHGCare, ihgcare at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear MunchkinNottingham,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Brenda J.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 February 2012

This hotel was well located and quiet. It seemed old to me, slightly over-priced and the rooms were a little small. The staff was polite but stiff. It was pretty standard by US standards and was not luxury by any means. I felt the beds were uncomfortable and although they spent a lot of effort promoting their pillows, they were ironically uncomfortable. The more I write this, the more I realize I would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank WillfullJourneys
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
wallace404,

Thank you for your recent stay, and taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. We’re sorry that you were not 100% satisfied with your accommodations. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ben J