“Good location and friendly staff”
Review of ARCOTEL Velvet

ARCOTEL Velvet
Ranked #165 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Singapore, Singapore
“Good location and friendly staff”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Was in Berlin from 7 to 10 December and being my first trip to Germany, I was a little worried initially as I don't speak German and I wasn't sure if I could get to the hotel on my own. Luckily this hotel was easy to find, being close to both the tram and Oranienburger Tor U-bahn station. The service staff who attended to me were also very friendly and helpful, pointing out the various transport options to the tourist sites I intended to visit in fluent English.

The room I was allocated faced the rear courtyard and was quiet throughout my stay. It was of decent size and had a clean, modern design. The bed was comfortable although the pillow was a tad too small for me. Also, I missed having an internet connection and wished that the hotel had WiFi connections.

On the whole, I enjoyed my stay here very much and would consider staying here again the next time I visit Berlin.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank MohammadFahmy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Very modern good value hotel. The location is close to the centre of Berlin with good public transport and a variety of places to eat out. The area may be a bit noisy at night but you can ask for a quiet room at the rear. Our experience was that the rooms to the rear are very quiet and you get a good night's sleep. Problems - very limited storage space and breakfast consists of four "picnic style" options, which you pick up prepacked, having ordered the previous evening. This is probably a good idea for business travelers or people anxious to get away early, but for most people, I would recommend having breakfast in one of the nearby cafes.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Just returned the beginning of December from my first visit to Berlin and found that this 4 star hotel was the perfect location for my 8 day stay. I loved every minute of my trip to Berlin! The hotel is located just around the corner from the Oranienburger Tor U-Bahn station on Friedrichstrasse. That makes it very easy to get from Tegel Airport to the hotel. Since I was traveling by myself I chose a budget room on the third floor (If you like it quiet I recommend a room facing the rear courtyard). The room was immaculate and stayed that way throughout my stay. If you plan to spend a lot of time in your room you might want to upgrade. The hotel staff were all fluent in English and always ready to help in any way. They even helped me with my lousy German. Instead of the breakfast offered in the hotel I elected to eat next door at the Ambulanz Cafe, a real hangout for young Germans. The staff at the Cafe is also fluent in English and for a light breakfast you can't beat it. Across the street from the hotel is the Mirchi restaurant. It serves excellent Singapore and Indo-Thai food at a reasonable cost. This is a hotel and a city that I would definitely return to visit.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the rear courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Jack S
NEW JERSEY
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in this studio. I was satisfied with my stay here.

Amenities: Decent with modern design - but missed WiFi. Bed was comfortable but pillow & blanket was small.

Room: Small with modern design. They offer rooms facing courtyard and Oranienburger Strasse (with floor to ceiling glass wall). We stayed in outer rooms. Glass wall is not creepy as some said here. Use the curtains when you need privacy. But point to note is shower has no wall so it may sound romantic( or at least no worries) for couples but definitely point to be noted for friends and families. (i don't know about suites).

Location: Good - walking to most things. If you want to walk yourself in Berlin I would recommend staying closer to Friedrichstraße station (or south of it) and its prettier. But if you plan to use public transports, Arcotel offers U & S Bahn steps from its door.
Service: Reception was on phone when we arrived, kept talking for sometime while we wait (Don't know German so I can't comment on how important that was). But very helpful with suggestions and promptly got us another blanket when we requested for one.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellerSANStourist
VelvetBerlin, Manager at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Dear Guest,

We are writing to sincerely thank you for having chosen the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin.
It was a pleasure to have you stayed with us.

Thank you also for taking the time to give us a feedback.

We are pleased that you have enjoyed the design of the hotel and its location.

We sincerely apologize that you had so much trouble with the internet, because you had no WiFi on your room. But we are happy to tell you, that our technical department already ordered more mobile router for guests that can not use the internet with a kabel.

We would like to thank you again for staying with us, we wish you all the best and we are looking forward already to welcome you back at the ARCOTEL Velvet within the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights at the end of October.

This hotel was great. Very modern, friendly staff and a comfortable room. Breakfast was included and, even though we only made it for one day, it was just enough to see us until lunch.

Some great restaurants and bars on Oranienburger Strasse, and was good for exploring the city.

Only complaint was on the last day as we were going to get our bags to leave, the key card didn't work (after numerous trips to reception). But the staff, although busy with other guests, were very friendly and helpful.

Will definitely look to stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
VelvetBerlin, Manager at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this review, 10 December 2011
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stayed with us, and we are delighted that you were satisfied with the hotel its location, the room and our service team.
Thank you also for taking the time to give us a feedback.
Your praise is motivation for us to continue to do all that most possible to make our guests’ stay comfortable, relaxed and satisfied.
We would like to wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back in our ARCOTEL Hotels in the near future.

london
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Reasonably priced, great location, interesting architecture, small but fun and well-designed rooms - but - the hotel needs to sort out its tedious neighbours. Constant thud-thud-thud until past midnight - I had got up early in the morning on the day of my arrival so was exhausted and needing sleep big time - despite great double-glazed windows which I closed, the thud-thud-thud was still there, permeating everything. The one thing you want from a hotel is to be able to sleep when you want to - Arcotel I'm afraid failed to deliver on this one. I like techno as much as the next guy, but not when I'm trying to sleep!!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
VelvetBerlin, Manager at ARCOTEL Velvet, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Guest,

We are writing to thank you sincerely for choosing the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin.
It was a pleasure to receive you as our guest.
We are also very grateful for the time you have taken to give us a feedback.
We are pleased that you have enjoyed the location and the design of the room, however we are sorry that your stay was not entirely satisfying.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the trouble you encountered because of the loud music from next door.
Thank you again for staying with, we would like to wish you all the best and we look forward to welcoming you back in our ARCOTEL Hotels in the near future.

Toronto
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. We had a great non smoking room; we actually got upgraded to a suite when we arrived. The room was very modern and clean. It was in a great location, near the trams and metro. It only took us about 10-15 minutes to get Alexanderplatz. It is across from a great Singapore restaurant. A continental breakfast was provided, but we decided to go to a bakery close by to grab some breakfast. The automated car parking was easy to use. Be sure to check-in first, then they give you the key to open the garage door. Then drive your car in the single bay, close the door and hand your key back to the front desk. When you want your car out just ask the front desk and they will open the garage door and your car will appear.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the ARCOTEL Velvet Berlin, it was a pleasure to have you staying with us.
We are especially grateful for the time you have taken to give us a feedback.
We are very happy to hear that you liked the room, the hotel, it’s location and our car parking system. Thank you for your lovely note.
We would like to wish you all the best and we are looking forward already to welcome you back at the ARCOTEL Velvet within the near future.