Hopefully this review will help those looking to find a top notch hotel with easy access to all the tourist spots.
We looked through similar reviews and were still unsure of where to stay, but staying in the Mitte area of the city was a briliant choice.
After landing, the train station is right next to the airport, just a 2 minute walk. There is an express train every half an hour that stops at most of the major tourist sposts and costs just 2-3 euros each (the same trip by taxi is 50 euros per cab, no comparison), four stops and just another 20 mins later you get off at the station; "Friedrichstraße". Walk out of the station and 150 yards towards the river and you get the the Melia hotel, close enough for easy commuting and yet far enough never to hear one single train.
The transport system as a whole is great, you can buy a day pass if you wish which costs about 6 euros each and this alows unlimited travel on buses, trains and the underground. To be honest though, depending on your itinery, most of the areas area accesable by a 20 min walk. Checkpoint Charlie, the Brandenburg Gate, TV Tower, The Reichstag and many more are even less. My advice is don't waste your money on the open top bus tours, take a 1 hour boat trip up the River Spree and you will get to see where the main highlights are situated (the stop for this is right outside the hotel lobby, the 4 hour one would be too long as there isn;'t enough sites to fill the time).
You probably know now that i loved the location so onto the hotel itself. From the moment you walk into the lobby untill the second you check out you will see that there is little or nothing to complian about. The checking in part was simple and quick and the hotel is imaculately clean.
We booked into a Comfort room but as i had heard reviews on the Level Rooms i decided to enquire on arrival. The receptionist explained that the suppliment for this room was 60 euros a night which i was reluctant to pay as the hotel had already cost us enough but i asked to be shown the room available. The standard rooms are all on floors 1-6 whilst the Level (executive) is on the 7th. The rooms are spacious, recently modernised, air conditioned and kept spotless. They are also realy well insulated and stop any noise passing through the walls. These rooms are larger, they face the river, they have complimentary bath robes etc and best of all you get use of the executive Lounge.
The lounge provides breakfast up until 10 am where continental, British and Spanish
foods are available along with a selection of inclusive hot and cold drinks, including champagne. From 11am untill 6pm they put out and top up a wide selection of soft drinks, hot and also beers. Finally from 6pm to 11pm they provide the same but also spirits and a wide selection of Spanish snacks which always differ and taste outstanding.
Through the exec restaraunt there is a relaxing lounge whhich is just like being at home with great views. In here there is a TV and lots of different daily newspapers. A point to make is that i never saw any children on the Level or in the lounge areas so it may be worth checking out if they are permitted.
If you arent in the exec rooms then you have to eat on the ground floor, the times to do so are shorter and there is a lot less choice. Also a free newspaper is sent to your room everyday. BOOK IT
If i'm honest the first of our three nights, we arrived late-ish so just sat in the exec lounge and filled up on the snacks supplied. However, the second night, we decided to eat in one of the hotels restaraunts. We chose the Spanish tapas one which was a typical type but the quality, presentation and value was well worth it. There was a second international restaraunt on the 1st floor but we never got to try it, don't be put off this hotel if you read bad reports of the food because we can vouch for it and if Spanish isn't your choice then there are pleanty of places to eat outside the hotel, all within a five minute walk.
If you are like us and enjoy a leisurly stroll at night, eat out and try a few bars then this place is perfect. As i say places to eat are close and easy to find (Saturday was rather busy so not a bad day to eat in), and on the other side of the river Spree there is a quaint river side street with several bars to sit back relax and drink, or dine if you so wish.
BEWARE!!!!! On the other side of the river is a restaraunt called The Grill which is a really lovely looking place but be prepared to pay the earth, it cost 70 euros for a Steak and Vodka with Cranberry Juice, and to be honest the steak was discusting. I made the mistake of not checking the prices first and got caught. For that i wanted a cow. Apart from this all the rest were fine and value for money so don't be afraid to try the local cuisine.
POINTS TO NOTE:
1) 1hr cruise, not the 4hr.
2) Don't take the night one as there isn't much light along the river so you won't see many sights.
3) Tell the hotel staff its a special occasion and they will treat you like royalty.
4) Visit the TV tower in the day as the views are great.
5) Stay away from taxis.
6) Stay in the Level if you like peace and quiet.
7) Try the hotels food on the Saturday as twn is busy.
8) Pay a trip to Alexanderplatz for hustle and bustle and also the museums.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Meliá Berlin! Our rooms and suites are the perfect place to switch off from the world and enjoy the fine detail. All 364 rooms are bright and spacious and offer a seating area as well as bidet and heated bathroom floors. At our Restaurant Café Madrid you can expect fresh products and the best creative international and regional signature cuisine with views to the river Spree. Feel Spanish passion, enjoy culinary delights and let your senses be spoiled by traditional and innovative tapas in the Meliá tapas bar. Located in the heart of the German Capital, directly at Friedrichstraße and next to the River Spree it is just a few minutes walk to monuments and major attractions such as the Brandenburg Gate, Museums Island or Alexanderplatz. The Melia Berlin is the perfect choice to explore the city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity.ca, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Melia Berlin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Berlin Hotel Berlin
- Berlin Melia