“Unpleasant experience at Facil”
Review of FACIL

FACIL
Ranked #1 of 8,939 Restaurants in Berlin
Price range: US$42 - US$232
Cuisines: International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Charlottenburg
Description: The FACIL, Berlin's oasis of culinary culture, offers a refreshing combination of elegant lightness and pure luxury, modernity and understatement. The restaurant treats diners to the very best cuisine and it has an easygoing feel. The service is excellent and you have the chance to relax and escape from the stresses and strains of everyday life. The core of the FACIL philosophy is the lightness of being. In culinary terms, the food will melt on your tongue. The restaurant offers a selection of natural cuisine which is both unpretentious and ingenious.
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Recently dined at Facil and found the food and ambiance quite good. The experience was marred however, when I received the bill. It was 50% more than I had anticipated.

We all ordered the 4 course fixed price menu. Two of us inquired as to whether we could substitute an entree from the ala carte menu, and were told we could- with no further explanation. When I received the bill and questioned the discrepancy, I was told that because we chose an entree from the ala carte menu, all our four selections were charged at the ala carte price.

I wrote an email note to Facil and received no response. So, my only recourse is to pen my thoughts onto Facil’s web page and to warn those I meet who are planning a trip to Berlin.

1  Thank martye53
THE-MANDALA-Team, Manager at FACIL, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Dear valued guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on Tripadvisor. Comments like yours are very important to us and help to improve our service. We are sorry to read that we did not inform you explicit about the way we charge. We have the menu prices and a la carte prices, as soon as a guest choses a dish from the a la carte menu, we charge not the menu price we charge the a la carte prices. We have learned from you to also place the a la carte prices, to make sure that this kind of misunderstandings won´t happen again. That we did not reply on your e-mail was caused by an accident one of your colleague had. We are very sorry that we have not been able to reply right away. This is definitely not our service we offer. It is very important to us that all our guest feel taken care and also heard. Please be ensured that we take your comment very serious and we thank you very much for reaching out to us.

Reviewed 18 October 2017

I had booked lunch months in advance from New Zealand and it was a treat for my partners birthday. The service was impeccable, the wine waiter very knowledgeable and knew about NZ wines, the food was beautifully presented and the environment was delightful - very light and airy. My partner was pleased with his choice of courses but I was disappointed with my entree of calfs head and the beef brisket for my main. For me, unfortunately, the flavour was lacking.

THE-MANDALA-Team, Leiter Gästebetreuung at FACIL, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2017

Dear Suzanne,
Thank you very much for taking the time to rate your meal at the FACIL. It is an honor to us to read that we had you from the other side of the world staying with us. Our service team and chefs in the kitchen try to provide their best service and hope to meet everyones expectations. Unfortunately our kitchen team was not able to meet your taste. It is indeed a pity. As we know with your comment exactly which dishes you didn´t like we can and will take it into consideration. It would be very pleased to welcome you back one day in the future.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

We stayed at the Mandala Hotel in Berlin for 6 nights, and elected to splurge at the hotel's restaurant, Facil, on our last night. The space is impressive and very comfortable for private conversation. We elected to try the tasting menu without wine pairing. Service was professional and efficient. The wine list is extensive, and includes several reasonably priced options. The food was consistently good and attractive to the eye, without being overly ornate. The bill was reasonable for a restaurant deserving of its Michelin stars. We were pleased that we decided to dine at Facil.

1  Thank KenODanbury_CT
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

There has been some exposure of the way the Berlin food scene has been developing over the past couple of decades and the cosmopolitan demographic is sure to help that continue.

On our German road trip we decided to spend our time in Berlin staying at the Mandala hotel near Potsdamerplatz. In the hotel was the two Michelin star awarded Facil restaurant.

We came for lunch as it was difficult to get a dinner reservation, the restaurant obviously popular with well heeled Berliners as the range of expensive cars being parked by the valets were testament.

The set menu for lunch is significantly more reasonable than the dinner menu. I can't for the life of me remember what I had as a starter, my wife had the guinea fowl giblets with chanterelles which was an incredible blend of the french style of classic cooking with a nod to the exquisite cuisine of Japan.

There a flavours such as shiso (perilla) which add peppery fragrance not disimilar to coriander, yuzu which tastes similar to a sweet lemon or a tart clementine, miso and shiitake that adds a complex umami dimension to dishes.

Yuzu makes a good sorbet, and it cuts through the sweetness of the chocolate and raspberry in the dessert. My wife had the poor knight which is an angle on a traditional English breakfast dish similar to french toast.

The restaurant itself is a work of art. Surrounded by a grove of bamboo, the eastern influence is palpable. The party piece of the building is the retractable glass roof which can slide back in the hot weather.

Service was attentive and very efficient, staff were very polite without being overfriendly.

An excellent restaurant which I would highly recommend and I would love to try the dinner menu next time I'm in Berlin.

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Berlin in common with other great European cities has some wonderful places to eat and Facil is no exception.

Situated on the fifth floor of the Mandala Hotel by Potsdamer Platz we dined on a chilly August evening in this airy and bright restaurant. The outdoor tables were not in use because of the weather.

Inside is a large dining area and tables are well separated and there are plenty of friendly highly trained staff on hand to serve your every need.

We chose a three course A La Carte meal although there are other set course tasting menu options available.

The cuisine here is high class, light with magnificent presentation, textures and flavours. Bread is prepared and presented from a large serving station at the front of the restaurant and is refilled regularly. This is certainly Two Star Michelin food and service.

The wine list is a real treasure trove and there are several pages of wonderful options from Germany of course. Our selected Weissburgunder was a great match for the food and the sommelier was highly knowledgeable. It is possible to drink well without having to break the bank and overall mark ups are not so bad for an establishment of this calibre.

It is hard to imagine a more perfect evening than this but of course this comes at a price with the food, wine and coffee costing just over 300 Euros for the two of us. Pretty much in keeping with expectations.

For a top class fine dining option well worth a visit.