“"I am sorry but you cannot have...”

Al Contadino Sotte Le Stelle
Ranked #1,054 of 8,660 Restaurants in Berlin
Price range: US$37 - US$146
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mitte
Reviewed 14 March 2012

...balsamic vinegar with you buffala mozzarella. That will ruin the dish!"

So much giving the customer what they want. I will admit it was quite good without the vinegar but if I want, give me vinegar dammit!

Food was decent - I've had better and worse. Atmosphere of not comfortable for me, a bit of a pretense about the place (perhaps influenced by the sneering German couple at the table next to us?)

I'd pass on this place, there must be better in this amazing city.

1  Thank mciesemier
There are newer reviews for Al Contadino Sotte Le Stelle

Reviewed 30 January 2012

We visited this restuarant early in the evening and it was very quiet. As the evening went on though, the noise levels rose and it felt like the loud and friendly atmosphere of a typical Italian restaurant. An initial issue for us was a lack of English, the waiter who greeted us as we arrived had German, Italian and Spanish but soon another waiter was found and the evening proceeded smoothly. The decor is rustic and homely but the food is anything but. We had an excellent meal with typical Italian dishes. By that I mean truly original sauces based on seasonal ingredients paired with handmade pastas. No spaggetti bolognese or hawaiian pizzas here.

We also had a 19 month old child with us and the staff were exttremely helpful and friendly to him (despite our little fella causing quite a racket at one stage, apologies to anyone who was there at the time :) )

Reviewed 27 December 2011

I usually don't write reviews on Trip Advisor but I just had to about this restaurant.

There were 3 main issues-the last being the most annoying.

-My husband and I tried to order to appetizers to share. The waitress said she would not bring them together as the tastes would not go together. We found that to be a little odd but didn't say anything.

-Then she told us our bottle of red wine wouldn't go with one of the appetizers and would we like a glass of white? We said no as we really don't care if it "goes with it" or not and the bottle of red was not cheap. So she didn't seem happy about that.

-Here is the real kicker. I had ordered a very expensive pasta with lobster. I asked for cheese for my pasta. She said NO as they will not serve cheese on fish. I had heard of this before-that chefs prefer that you don't put cheese on fish dishes. BUT I am the customer and that is want I wanted. I have been to places much nicer then this and have never been denied cheese or had snotty comments made about what I am ordering together. I understand that some chefs are really proud of their food and they want it served exactly as they want it. However, if that is the case, this restaurant should expect unhappy customers who will not come back and tell everyone they know in Berlin and the states to never go there. We didn't even stay for coffee and dessert which we always do. I think the waitress knew we were upset and disappeared as another person brought us our 91 euro check. Also, if you don't try to please your customers, don't expect an additional tip. Plus the food wasn't that good although we ate it as it was expensive and we were hungry and didn't want to have to go somewhere else.. My pasta had a gross fishy taste which would have been better with cheese. Regardless of what I wanted, most places try to please their customers-not judge them.

The fabulous hotel I stayed at recommend this place. I won't put their name down as I don't want it on the same page as this terrible review. When we got back there that night, we told the guy at the front desk about our experience. He kindly bought as drinks there to make up for it. They(the staff at the hotel) are suburb at making people feel welcome and happy.

This restaurant was the worst part of our trip to Berlin. I hope they feel proud of themselves for sticking to their culinary beliefs at the expense of customers.

4  Thank MEandSO
Reviewed 16 November 2011

While at staying at The Circus Hotel in Berlin they recommended this great restaurant, I had no reservations but luckily they took us in, restaurant was packed whitin miutes and food was amazing, try the spinach pasta frutii di mare and it was awsome, tiramisu was best I have had...servie was very good and prices very affordable !!!

Reviewed 2 November 2011

Located just a few blocks down the street from the "Circus" hotel (highly recommended), Al Contadino is at the cutting edge of fine Italian cuisine. A very comfortable, informal dining area with great service. The only downside is the cost, which is high for this neighborhood but not for the quality of the food. We dined twice there in one week, and would have gone again. The caponata di melanzane is particularly spectacular.