“Dinner”

Price range: US$57 - US$114
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A carnivore's heaven. The menu: clearly structured, but complete. The best steaks, with classic side dishes such as creamed spinach and corn on the cob, preceded by prawn cocktails and succeeded by cheesecake - what more could you ask for? Great staff with flair who are skilled at what they do? No problem. A corresponding wine from Africa, or maybe from France? Of course. And great surroundings? You bet. There is minimalist decor: a log fire, wood tables, candles, warm colours on the walls, a few pictures.
Reviewed September 18, 2016 via mobile

Very Cousy atmosphere, great service. Very friendly service. Good steaks, nice appetizers. Portions are quite big though, never could try desert, after starter and main dish no space left for anything else

Reviewed July 18, 2016 via mobile

I booked a table for me and my girlfriend on a Saturday night. When we arrived we were told to take seat at a table that was still not prepared nor cleaned. A member of the personnel then came and started preparing the table which was still dirty. Upon our request he then quickly passed a wet cloth and prepared it without even allowing for it to dry. Besides that he didn't put all the silverware and put the water glasses on the side of dishes: a table layout maybe good for an office canteen but not for a restaurant of this level and price. Not happy with this, when I asked him if he could speak in English because I don't speak German, he replied saying that this was my problem. A joke he was the only one to find funny. Apart from this the food was OK but nothing extraordinary while the wine list overpriced. If you have in mind a classic high end American style steak house and the service you can find in such places, here they are light years far. No real intention to visit them again.

Reviewed April 19, 2016 via mobile

This was my 3rd time to Butchers steakhouse where the beef is good and the service and the quality is really good too. The starters are astonning, so next time I will have more starters and maybe a smaller steak. I would have given 4,5 but decided on 5 since the service were fantastic, as we were the last couple there. They should send their knifes to be sharpened, but I do not know if they have someone like H.W.Larsen in Hamburg. ......

Reviewed April 14, 2016

Mr Wieschendahl brings well over a decade of steak experience literally to your table - In all the years since he opened shop in Hamburg I have always had good experiences here.
From the meat presentation ,which leaves you in no doubt of the superb quality beefs you will be served, right down to wine recommenadations, Sascha has it down pat.

My personal favorite is, of course, the ribeye, but here you can pretty much not go wrong with any choice. Do ask for a bone-in ribeye, if your adventurous.

I also appreciate the fact that they not only have something on the menu to please your non-carnivore companions, but also actually get these dishes absolutely right. Wou wont be embarrased by the house should one of your companions opt out of beef mania and go for the fish (not that I would ever dream of doing that here myself).
And if your absolutely MUST have something local, check out the butchers clubs kowtow to local custms and cuisine: the famous "labskaus" - as seamans dish. Here to be had as a starter, comes with a quails egg, and while it may look like an acquired taste its well worth a try.

Pleasantly Sascha also stocks his bar well - so if you enjoy the atmosphere as much as I do, a very well equipped bar has many things to offer. Thankfully alos expertly chosen rums, so many of my evenings here have run on well into the night.
And: draft local beer. Forget the run of the mill chain stuff, let them draw you a local brew. Bliss.

Remains one of my all time favorites, not only for quality of food served but also for genuine and war hospitality.

Reviewed March 10, 2016

If you have a hankering for American steak and California wine while in Hamburg stop in at Butcher's. Bring an appetite and money however. As with the American steak house tradition, the servings are large (but you can share) and the prices high. Bonus points for the background music (playing and a very acceptable volume) - all Johnny Cash.