Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Free cancellation until 21-04-24
Travelocity
eDreams
PricelineUS$92
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed October 6, 2019 via mobile

I was given a TINY, prison-style single room on the street level; the furnishings were literally from the 80s and the bed was hard and uncomfortable.
I was really disappointed because the room didn't look at all like the picture I saw on hotels.com. And my booking said "twin" bed so I assumed there would be two beds in the room.
When I raised this issue, the reception lady with glasses adopted a hostile attitude. She refused to allow me to cancel the reservation so I could find a different (better) hotel. Even after Hotels.com got involved, calling the hotel to plead on my behalf, the management were completely resolute in their refusal to do anything.
This isn't a hotel that cares about it guests. All they care about is ripping you off. A deeply unplesant experience. Don't stay here!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank EdanBCN
Reviewed August 29, 2019

Check-in went very, very fast. The 1 person room is very basic but clean. Shower has very good water pressure. The hairdryer was impractical but I managed to dry my hair with it. Hotel is close to the Hbf.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2019

nice hotel next to the centre. It s not luxurios but a quiet place . Good breakfast and friendly people. You can buy a package at hamburg tourism , hotel and transportation backage, this is realy good.

Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed April 3, 2019

Some have posted on this site that the rooms at Alte Wache reminded of the 1970s but I would respectfully suggest that the rooms more clearly reflect the early sixties. Indeed my room was very small and the “bed” not much more than a bunk and the mattress rather thin and a bit lumpy (what was that poking through in spots?).

The bathroom was also a bit too small with the shower being a special experience. You needed to turn the shower off in order to soap yourself and when it was on, there was always the danger that your back would hit the lever and you’d scald yourself. I have an ordinary toilette bag and there was no counter space sufficient to store it.

The daily breakfast buffet cost an extra 10 euros and I would recommend that those staying at Alte Wache find a local alternative where, for the same money, you’ll find a much better breakfast. First, the various cold cuts on offer were nothing better than second rate and I’m being generous. The breads (there were many- it’s Germany after all) were decent enough, as were the sliced and individually packaged cream cheeses.
The jams, yogurts, crepes & waffles were all low rent but the worst was yet to come.

I made the mistake of sampling the Nürnberger breakfast sausages and fried “ham” from the warming trays. Both were overly salted but what was with that ham? It felt more like a slice of fried slurry, the bloody stuff sticking to my teeth as I tried to chew it. Disgusting.

In the neighbouring tray sat, in a bath of fetid water, scrambled “eggs” almost orange in colour. This suggested powdered eggs. Worse still, rather than taking the tray to the kitchen and replacing it, staff came out and dumped bowls of more of the same “eggs” into the same trays. Entirely unhygienic. The coffee and tea were both decent.

Someone mentioned in their post that there are a large number of immigrants in the area of the hotel. I’m not certain what this individual meant to suggest but this is no reason to not stay at Alte Wache. There was simply no threat from the community and in fact a large number of the businesses in the area are run by immigrants who contribute to the greater good.

Alte Wache is staffed by lovely, helpful people and the rooms were clean but small. In fact for a moment I felt as if I’d landed in Tokyo again. If you’re on a budget you’ll find the experience and location reasonable...just find another breakfast.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2018

Hotel has a good location for train and underground. Is located in a bad neighbourhood with a lot of imigrants, beggars and homeless people.
Hotel is a bit worn down and my room was very small.
If you want something in the bar you have to go to the reception who then will call a waiter. Breakfest was fine.
A bit noisy. I think the underground goes right under the hotel.

Date of stay: September 2018