Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$168
Official SiteUS$177
Hotels.comUS$168
Agoda.comUS$151
PricelineUS$150
ZenHotels.comUS$210
1,429 results
All reviews small kitchenette studio room great hotel michael's church hotel guests within walking distance coffee maker mini bar quiet area few minutes walk reception desk public transport spa harbour city portuguese hob
Selected filters
Reviewed September 25, 2020

Last stay at that place was in 2011 and I must say it's still best of class. The location is top, a couples of minutes walk to the Elphi and to the harbour, couple of minutes walk to the metro stations, service was very good, always very attentive, breakfast choice still very good despite the corona restrictions, free use of the close swimming pool and wellness area (sauna, jacuzzi, hammam) on the week ends for hotel guests, perfect !

Date of stay: September 2020
Management response:Responded September 28, 2020

Dear Ompile,
With much pleasure I have seen you review and would like to thank you very much for sharing it with us.
It is fantastic to see that you stayed again at our MADISON Hotel and felt comfortable and at ease.
I am glad that you liked the location, which was very convenient for you, too.
I hope that you collected some great memories and that we will have the pleasure to welcome you soon again.
Best regards from Hamburg,

Reviewed September 9, 2020

I recently spent four nights at the Madison. The hotel was exactly as described on its own website (not always the case these days as I have discovered through personal experience). I had a sense of being "at home" from the minute I stepped through the door.
Slick modern design without being over-the-top or gimmicky , extremely comfortable, large airy room, spotlessly clean and tidy, very comfortable bed. My one tiny criticism is that I'm not a great fan of over-the bath showers.
I had requested a room with a view of the "Michel" church and was given exactly that. The staff were welcoming and extremely helpful. I had stupidly forgotten my travel adaptor to recharge my phone and was provided with one within seconds at the reception desk. I used the restaurant once, the bar on several occasions and room service on one occasion, and found all to be excellent. Breakfast, restaurant and bar staff were equally friendly, and the daily cleaning of my room could not be faulted. The food was excellent and the choice of drinks in the bar extensive.
The hotel is perfectly situated too – a few minutes from the nearest U-Bahn station, and within easy walking distance of Hamburg's many attractions. All in all, a gem of a hotel. Highly recommended!

Date of stay: September 2020
Management response:Responded September 11, 2020

Dear Hugh C.,
Thank you so much for sharing your kind words of praise here on Tripadvisor, too.
It is such a pleasure to read your great feedback, which is a great motivation for our work.
I am happy that you fully enjoyed your stay with us and felt safe and welcomed at any time.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again during your next Hamburg visit.
Best wishes from THE MADISON,

Reviewed August 10, 2020 via mobile

We stayed here six nights, a long enough time to gain a good feel of the place.

Overall it is a good hotel, but there are a few issues that need to be addressed.

The location is very convenient, just a few minutes walk from St. Michael's church. The room was bright and spacious, with a good king size bed and with a useful small kitchenette with a coffee maker.

The bathroom was also good, but it had no bidet.

The big problem was that, since the weather was very hot, aircon was badly needed but the aircon of the room was, unfortunately, totally useless. Even when set at the maximum strength, both in terms of temperature and fan speed, it just could not cool down the room. I understand that Hamburg's weather is normally cooler and aircon may not be essential, but in case you do need it, bear in mind that the aircon in the room is simply not good enough.

A less important issue was the lack of a full size mirror.

Finally, the windows are not acoustically insulated so you will hear the bells of St. Michael church ringing day and night 24/7 every 15 minutes, which can be quite annoying. Also you can sometimes hear noises from the rooms beside.

The restaurant is ok but not excellent: not much variety of food and the quality is just average.

Breakfast, however, is good and abundant, although the service is inconsistent. Some staff are very pleasant and professional, some instead seem overwhelmed by the fact that they need to serve breakfast to the tables due to the covid measures (in fact there is no buffet due to the corona situation).

The underground parking is a nice feature, but it is managed by a separate company and the hotel has several slots allotted for its guests on two basement floors. The cost at €28 per day is pretty high. What makes things worse is that if you keep the car parked, let's say, 49 hours you are forced to pay three full days of parking and this is extortionate. The management will tell you that it doesn't depend on them because it is not their property. However they should be able to negotiate a better deal for their guests.

In summary, good location, good rapport quality / price (apart from the parking), good breakfast and reasonable rooms (if you don't need aircon). But they should improve on some issues as described above.

Date of stay: August 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gilo M
Management response:Responded August 11, 2020

Dear "Gilo M",

first of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to share your extensive feedback here on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to see that you liked the great location at the heart of Hamburg, right between the Elbphilharmonie, harbour and St. Michaelis church.

Unfortunately, you have not been satisfied with the rest of your stay so I would like to explain a few points you have mentioned in your review.
The room you have stayed in was a Business Studio room with 35sqm. This room category does not have a bidet. If you prefer a bathroom with a bidet, you can go for our other room types like Junior Suite, Suite or Penthouse. Each of these rooms is equipped with a bidet (as mentioned on our room descriptions).
I am sorry that the air condition was not working to your expectations. Indeed, in Hamburg we do not usually have as high temperatures are you are used to in Italy. 35°C are something really special in Hamburg. Our air-condition system was working during your stay - if it not getting cold enough it would have been great if you would have gotten in touch with us during your stay. We have a technical team that can check the A/C at any time for you. We just checked the A/C in the room, and it is cooling with a temperature of 20°C.
Our rooms are equipped with a full-size mirror which you can find at the door of the little storage room, you have for your luggage.
I am very sorry that you have not been happy with the location of your room, facing one of the main sightseeing attractions of Hamburg. Of course, we can allocate a room that is not facing the St. Michalis church but the inner yard. I have noted your wish and is absolutely not an issue to take care of it, if you want to stay with us again.
In terms of the service and choice of food, I really want to apologise. Due the COVID-19 regulations, we had to downsize our regular menu of our Marley's menu. Luckily, we can offer the full menu as well as a changing special menu again since yesterday. Nevertheless, the service of our team should have been consistently friendly and welcoming. I will share your feedback with our F&B manager as well as our Operations manager in order to take actions.
Regarding the public underground parking, we have arranged a reduced fee of 28,00 EUR/24 hours for our hotel guests. The regular rate is 32,00 EUR per day. The settlement is made on an exact hourly basis, as the parking ticket is scanned. I will forward your feedback to our contact person, but unfortunately, a further reduction is not possible.

While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience. If you give us a chance to earn back your trust, I can assure you that we will do our best to give you the great hotel experience that so many of our guests have grown so fond of.

Warm regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2020 via mobile

I stayed several times at The Madison and I never felt more welcome in a hotel. The staff is truly interested in you as a guest and you can feel the good vibe as soon as you enter the lobby. The rooms are super spacious and I love the big armchairs in which you can relax after a long day of travel. The location is very convenient and you can explore Hamburg perfectly when staying at The Madison. Unfortunately I am not traveling to Hamburg anymore at the moment but I hope to come back at some point.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
Management response:Responded July 13, 2020

Dear "479rebekkab",
Thank you so much for sharing your impressions of our MADISON Hotel in Hamburg here on Tripadvisor.
It makes me very happy to read that you always enjoyed your stays with us and that you felt comfortable and relaxed.
I really hope that you will travel to Hamburg again in the future and that we can welcome you at our MADISON - your home away from home.
Warm regards & take care!

Reviewed March 1, 2020

The hotel is conveniently located among the many attractions of Hamburg and within walking distance to most of the places we explored. The room was spacious and very comfortable for a couple and daughter. The bathroom, although not fancy, is everything I expect from a hotel: large pieces and many shelves to accommodate our toiletries! Breakfast is very good as well as the meals served later on. Will definitely recommend!

Date of stay: February 2020
TheMadisonHotel, Director of Sales at THE MADISON Hotel Hamburg, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2020

Dear "NaniSantaF",
With much pleasure I have seen your feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to share it with us.
I am glad that you enjoyed your time at our MADISON Hotel and felt welcomed and at ease.
I hope that you explored many sights of our beautiful Hanseatic city and that you will keep us in your best memories.
It would be a pleasure to welcome you again during your next Hamburg visit.
Warm regards,