“Great service!”

Wayang Indonesische Spezialitaeten
Ranked #270 of 2,743 Restaurants in Frankfurt
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Reviewed April 5, 2018

The service is top notch even though there is only one person working the table. The food is average, but I am a hardcore Indonesia foodies, so it may be great for non Indonesian. When we were there, there is another table of German gentlemen and they seemed to really enjoy the food. For an Indonesian, the food needed more spices and flavor. We ordered Gado-gado, chicken satay, rending and nasi goreng(forgot the actual name). The only one that met my standard is the Teh Botol, now that's genuine.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed March 16, 2018 via mobile

Don’t let the small space, plastic tablecloths or neon lights sway you from entering this special spot. After having made a reservation we walked by the restaurant and wondered if we should go in. We were so glad we did! The server was so welcoming and my dish, Nasi maestra with shrimp, came out quickly and was delicious. The flavor of the rice and noodle mixture with carrots, tomatoes and cucumbers was perfect and I loved the fact that there was a sunny side up egg on top. I love salt but there was none on the table so I mixed in the spicey oil on the table and it was perfect. This was my first time eating Indonesian so I have nothing to compare it to but the value for the price seemed spot on.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed February 14, 2018

While I was out alone with my significant other but without the kids... this is NOT a spot for a romantic dinner, e.g. the tablecloths are made from plastic.

That being said, the food is delicious, fast and affordable. And even vegetarians get to actually choose from a wide range of options. Service could've been a tad more attentive, but no biggy.

Date of visit: February 2018
Lea A, Inhaber at Wayang Indonesische Spezialitaeten, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2018

Reviewed July 23, 2017 via mobile

In July 2017 my wife and me visited Wayang twice. Basically my opinion remains the same. It is very authentic. My wife is Indonesian and she just loves the authenticity of the food. I do too. Everything is freshly made, you see and hear the chopping in the kitchen. It is a pristine piece of Asia in the heart of Frankfurt. Very original. Including: small place, family business (including the baby in the guest room) limited menu. If you like that you're at the right place, good for a straight out dinner, don't expect glamour or the like. One of my favorites. No parking available is a drawback. In summer we go by scooter (Vespa) double fun. The subway is very close by.

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed June 27, 2017

My friend and I were looking for a good asian restaurant to eat at, and it was fate that we found this place. We were looking on yelp, and we happened to come across this place. There weren't a lot of reviews, and it if were my first day in Frankfurt, I wouldn't have gone, but after several days in Frankfurt, I realized that all the nice places I went to tended not to have a lot of reviews, but good pictures of food, so we went. It was quite a hike from the Marriott, but was well worth it.

The taste and quality of the food highly exceeded my expectation. You get great value for the price of the food.

Food:
I ordered the Nasi Mawut and the Mie to share with my friend. They were both made vegetarian style since we're both vegetarian. The Nasi Mawut was so delicious, especially with the chili that they brought out. The Mie was ok, given how it's not stir-fried. It reminded me of overcooked noodles that tasted good. My friend liked it. The sauce was a bit too strong for me though.

For me, the best part after eating the Nasi Mawut was eating dessert! I ordered the Es Campur to share, and oh my, it was delicious! Usually, shaved ice desserts in the US are way too sweet, but the dessert here was flavored just right. It was nice and refreshing, especially on the hot day.

Service:
The service was good. We sat at a table outside, so it took some time to get our orders taken, but we were ok with that since we were just relaxing. The server, who seemed to be the owner, was nice to us when taking our order.

Value:
Two beverages, two dishes, and a dessert came down to less than 30 euros even including tip, and we felt full and satisfied!

We liked the food so much, we tried going there the following day only to be met with disappointment because they were closed :(

While it's not a good place for a romantic date because it has a hole-in-wall type of feel, if you want great food, this is one of the places you need to try.

Date of visit: June 2017