“Excellent Hotel and Fantastic Hosts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breuer's Ruedesheimer Schloss

Breuer's Ruedesheimer Schloss
Corowa, Australia
“Excellent Hotel and Fantastic Hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I orgainsed a wine and food tour last November to Germany and France. The first 5 nights were spent at Breuer's Ruedesheimer Schloss and this was a great base to visit wine producers in Rheingau, Rheinhessen and Pfalz regions. I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights before the tour started so had 8 nights in all. The hotel location is excellent about 150m up small road that runs off the main road along the river and about 600 from the train station. The have parking available opposite the main part of the hotel which can be a tight fit if you have a larger car…I had a big car and got use to it after a couple of days.

When I put together a tour I spend a lot of time researching the hotels I used, because choosing the right hotels is one of the most important factors in making sure the trip is a success. Breuer's Rudesheimer Schloss was a great choice for the first hotel on this trip. The 2 very old (well to an Australian) buildings that make up the hotel have been beautifully restored and maintained. The rooms are very modern, clean, well maintained and comfortable. I actually saw most of the 26 rooms on a tour of the property with Susanne Breuer and I would be happy to stay in any of them. The main difference between the rooms is size and if there is access to a balcony or not. Susanne played a major role in designing the rooms and they are all different from each other as they have a different theme which is defined by the art work in each. In my opinion it had be done really well in a very subtle and sophisticated way.

Two dinners where organised in the restaurant as inclusions on the tour. Both were set menus designed for groups and were excellent. Often you can find that with group menus at restaurants it is like you are getting second best and are treated like second class citizens. This was defiantly not the case here where the service during the meals was excellent especially given how busy the restaurant is most nights and the food was very good. I also ate in the restaurant three other time during my stay and found the food to be consistently good and fair value (main courses 12-20 Euro). The normal menu was fairly safe and hence perhaps a little dull (I enjoyed the food from the set menus for the 2 dinner we had more) but this was really only a minor concern.

The reserve wine list is an amazing document made up of mainly German Riesling dating back to 1894. As you can imagine some of the prices for the older wines are very expensive, but once you get to the 1960’s onwards the prices are very reasonable when you take into account the age of the wines.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant as well. There was the standard selection of cereal, yogurt. cold meats, cheese and bakery items which were fresh and tasty. They also offered eggs made to order which were very good and the hot chocolates (I don't drink coffe) were very good. I am sure some might say the selection wasn't wide enough but really this is breakfast (at home I have same thing just about everyday - yogurt and cereal) and for a 26 room hotel what is on offer is extraordinarily good.

One afternoon we used the conference space to run a German Wine Masterclass which is located in the building across the lane from main part of the hotel. It was great space to work in and was set-up as per our instructions…could not have been easier. We didn’t need much in the way of wiz-bang technically equipment but they have all the gadgets that might be required for “serious” business meetings.

I have seen comments in other some other reviews (not many) about the staff being unfriendly. I can say categorically that I did not find this, all the staff I engaged with were professional, friendly and welcoming and this particularly the case with owners of the hotel Heinrich and Susanne Breuer they were fantastic hosts. With a group of 20 in tow I needed to hassle the Breuer’s and other hotel staff probably more than most. Never did it fell like I was fobbed off and in fact most times the person I was dealing with went out off there way to go that one extra step. I haven’t stay elsewhere in Rudesheim and I am sure there are other good hotels but I doubt I will ever find out because this is the place to stay and where I will always choose to stay. Heinrich and Susanne I know you both work hard but the results speak for themselves…Well Done and I can’t wait to come back and stay again.

Room Tip: There is music in the restaurant most nights until around 11pm and midnight so if you are someone wh...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cusack13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Fuerteventura, Canarias, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

We were travelling down from Amsterdam to Austria for 2 weeks skiing and had decided to stay for one night in the delightful town of Rüdesheim Am Rhein. I had narrowed the stay down to 2 hotels with the help of the internet and finally chose the Ruedesheimer Schloss due to its central location (right next to the famous Drosselgasse)!

WOW......am I pleased that I picked this hotel!!!

We arrived in the free car park (36€ per day in Amsterdam) and had our welcome glass of champagne at reception to "relax and settle" (the words of the delightful Suzanne)!

The location is superb, the rooms are spotless and spacious, the free wifi works fast, the staff are efficient and VERY friendly and the food fantastic!

Oh, how we wish we were staying for longer!!

We will be visiting again really soon!

Room Tip: During peak season try and get a room away from the Drosselgasse as it can get noisy!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Gordon C
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

My wife and I stayed two nights at this fantastic hotel to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. The hotel is located adjacent to the Doppelgasse - the heart of Rudesheim. Our entire experience was excellent from start to finish. The room was spacious, clean and large. The hotel staff were a delight - always warm, happy and very friendly. Breakfast was traditional German, lots of variety and plentiful. The restaurant is magnificent. While we only had dessert there, the apple strudel we shared was beautifully presented and is the best we have tasted for a long time. The restaurant has beautiful stained glass windows and had a fabulous atmosphere. Once again, the staff were exactly what you would expect from a top restaurant.

We highly recommend this hotel and look forward to going back - hopefully soon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Teramo, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2011

We chose the hotel because not too far from Hahn airport. It
was an excellent choice. Big modern rooms, good breakfast, kindness of the staff. Suzanne was very kind helping us to plan the excursions. Tha hotel has an excellent
restaurant where we ate at a reasonable price. Wifi available. The christmas market in rudesheim is by far the most beautiful among those we visited (koblenz, trier, Mainz, frankfurt).
We strongly suggest the town and the hotel. Remember that the access to rudesheim is by ferry and if you arrive late in Hahn and lose the last ferry you have to cross the river
in Mainz (the first bridge near rudesheim) which means 60km more (30 to Mainz
30 to rudesheim on the other side of the river). Absolutely worth the visit.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank totem3
Fishkill, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

My wife and I were privileged to stay two nights. From the welcome champagne in the courtyard to the fantastic dinners in the classic dining room, the bountiful breakfasts, the friendly staff, Herr Breuer's wines, the stained glass windows, the Glockenspiel, the spacious room and bath, and the wonderful village of Ruedesheim itself, this was a memorable stay, and we can't wait to go there again, hopefully with other friends.
Highly recommend it without any hesitation!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

This hotel is positioned in the centre of Rüdesheim and fronts on to the famous Drosselgasse. We were there during the Weihnachtsmarkt, so it was busy in the town. Despite this, once inside the hotel, it was an oasis of calm and quiet. Our room was great - plenty of room and everything one needed. Beds extremely comfortable, temperature just right. We ate twice in the restaurant and the food and service were both very good indeed. Breakfast was good. All the hotel staff were very helpful. English is widely spoken if needed. Definitely the best hotel in Rüdesheim. Views from our room over the wine growing terraces and a glimpse of the Rhein.

Room Tip: If you want, quiet for a room overlooking Steingasse.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Heist-op-den-Berg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

We have spend a marvellous weekend in the Rheingau !
A big part of the success was thanks to our stay at the Rüdesheimer Hotel: we appreciated the warm welcome and enjoyed excellent food and very tasty Riesling wines. The rooms are spacious and decorated modern style.
I should be said that Frau Breuer is an excellent host : she took us for a nice walk to Assmanshausen with a superb scenery and a picnic as describe in fancy magazines.
We really felt as valued guests !

Room Tip: If the weather is fine and you want a quite night, do ask for a room not facing the Drosselgasse. Ap...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends