See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed February 4, 2018

I stayed here two nights partly because of the good rates offered. The room was quite and clean, but fairly basic. Still a great deal for the cost and the hotel has some old world charm that made it a pleasure to stay at. The staff were very friendly and helpful, going out of there way to be kind to their guests. The included breakfast was very nice as well. Location was good as well, only a few minutes walk to the Lister Platz station and lots of restaurants on the pedestrian mall a little past the station. Also a Rewe store on the same street as the hotel for groceries. I was pleasantly surprised and thought it to be a great deal for the price.

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed April 12, 2017

I've stayed for 4 nights in a double room and it was all ok. The room was updated, clean, and spacious, the bed was comfortable. As this hotel is in a calm area, so it was also very quite during the night. About 300 metres way there is a metro station. The breakfast was typical continental, nothing exceptional, but it was enough to start a day. One negative thing is wifi, because it was poor and hard to connect (but they didn't charge me).

Room tip: Double room on the second floor.
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed March 13, 2015

I had reserved a non-smoking room, but as soon as I entered the room, I could smell the old smoke that lingered in the furniture. The smell never really disappeared, which gave me a slight headache during my stay. The furniture was old and in need of renovation, but the room was clean. The room didn't have a safe, so I didn't feel comfortable leaving any valueables in the room.
In the bathroom, I found a stool placed under the sink and I never understood what it was for. The water pressure in the shower and the sink was low, it was more like trying to take a shower in a garden sprinkler than an actual shower.

The hotel has wifi and there was a user name and a password for the w-lan in the room, but when I tried to connect, my phone just showed the message that the network couldn't be found. I wasn't able to connect to Kabel Deutschland's open network either, even though I was able to connect to that in the lobby. The hotel doesn't have wifi connection throughout the entire hotel, there is one part of the hotel that apparently is out of range.

The breakfast was ok but nothing fancy.
I would not stay here again, there were too many things that didn't work properly and the smell of old smoke in the furniture is a big deal breaker for me.

I wonder when Germany will ban in-doors smoking, like most of the rest of Europe already has done. The smoke rooms that are present in restaurants and hotels are disgusting.

Room tip: The rooms to the right of the elevator (when standing in the elevator) seem to be out of wifi range.
Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Carina H
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed one week at the Haus Martens with both of our kids this Summer. We chose a family suite, which was basically two communicating rooms with 1 bathroom. The rooms were very very simple. A tiny bit of effort put into it, and they could look ok. The bathroom could not have been smaller, impossible to stand with your child in it at the same time, a must in a family suite let's be honest. The huge windows did not have blinds at all meaning the kids would wake up at first light.

On the good side, the price was very good and included a wonderful buffet breakfast. The location is great, in a residential charming neighborhood called List, steps away from a pedestrian area with shops, restaurants, playgrounds, subway station, and walking distance to the city center. The staff was extremely nice and helpful.

The building is in this old typical altbau style, and I find it a pity that the renovations did not keep the spirit of it inside. This hotel definitely has the potential to be a very good hotel, but something would have to be done about the bathrooms and the rooms.

I would therefore personally not recommend this hotel and will not come back to the Haus Martens next year.

Date of stay: August 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank vanessadb
Reviewed February 28, 2007

We spent an extended week-end in Hotel Martens at the end of February 2007 and were fully satisfied with location, comfort, price and kindness of the staff.

Date of stay: February 2007