“Excellent ”

Ranked #45 of 617 Restaurants in Aachen
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Enjoyed a very nice meal here with our teenage children. Attentive service and sophisticated yet accessible food.

1  Thank Icijy

Reviewed January 20, 2018 via mobile

I do honestly feel bad writing such a review for this restaurant, but I have no choice. I really do not know by which standard Reuters would qualify as a “fine dining” restaurant; perhaps I am biased since I am Italian and used to simple good food.

I’ll start with the good points: the staff was very friendly and nice, and the location is good.

For the rest: food is incredibly messy! Pasta and rice were so overcooked that felt like eating baby food. Salads were drenched in so many different sauces that had nothing to do with each other or the dish itself, basically it was a mix of hot and cold items thrown around in a wannabe artistic manner that ultimately tasted like nothing. I just do not get it...if only they removed 5 items of each dish, it might become edible, but like this?! No!
As an example: my friend had trofie al pesto as a main. The pasta was way too soft and sticky, too much pesto made it very heavy, then there were cherry tomatoes cut on top and a few small bufala mozzarellas. Bufala on trofie al pesto?!? Why??
Dessert would have been nice, but once again, overdone! I had a pear tartlet accompanied with walnut ice cream. It would have been perfect if it wasn’t for the exotic fruit sauce and another unidentified sauce on the side which covered the original flavours at once.

The interior is rather basic and not very elegant.

One last thing: please stop serving prosecco with slices of fruit (in this case melon) in it! It’s not fancy nor tasty. Get some quality prosecco instead which requires no made up add-ons!

In conclusion, I am a firm believer that “fine dining” is defined by the quality of the ingredients, the ability to elaborate them, and finding the correct harmony and balance of flavours to put in a dish. You won’t find any of this at Reuters. Abundance is hardly ever classy!

Restaurant R, Manager at Reuters House, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2018

Dear Nikikk,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to rate our restaurant. We appreciate any feedback - only in this way can we find out what our guests want and can react to it.
If the composition of our food has not promised you, we are very sorry and we understand your annoyance. Of course, it is difficult to meet the taste of every guest. But many other guests come to our restaurant because of the composition of our food.
Anyway it's not right that your pasta and the rice were overcooked. Obviously this does not belong to our standards.
The Prosecco melon you drank is our house aperitif and is decorated with a slice of melon. Of course, you can enjoy the pure Prosecco without melon, if you like to do so.
Unfortunately, we have only heard from your review here on TripAdvisor. Maybe you contact a waiter next time to express your concerns.
If you like, feel free to contact us at reutershouse.service@gmail.com.

Reviewed October 25, 2017

Everybody have already heard about the news agency Reuters, right? Well, the place is located in the origin of the agency...check the history behind. Besides, the food is excellent, the staff was good and friendly and the ambient was comfy and relaxed. Well located in Aachen, easy to reach.
And at last but not least, it is mentioned on the Michelin Guide!

3  Thank Arthur N
Reviewed August 6, 2017

I was in Aachen on a Sunday night staying at the brand new Hampton Hilton just outside town and was looking for a decent restaurant open on a Sunday night. I checked the Michelin guide to see which restaurants were open and then Trip Advisor to see what people recommended. I went on the websites for both places to look at the menus. I had thought about going to the Haus am See but Reuters House was very close to my hotel so I decided to check it out first and after seeing the nice setting and studying the menu I decided to stay there.

You can sit outside as it's on a pedestrian street but I chose to sit just inside. I wanted to sit on the banquette and the restaurant manager Mr Creutz kindly gave me a table for four although I was alone so I didn't dare complain about the glass of Sekt being completely flat.

I chose the 5 course menu for €55 which I found to be excellent value for money. All the dishes were beautifully presented and delcious. I started with the beef tartar then had the gazpacho which was tasty but I found the portion to be really tiny. Another ladle would probably have satisfied me.

I then had the gnocchi which would have been much better without the blood sausage. After that I had the sea bass which was excellent and then I had a mixture of mini desserts which were very good.

I had a bottle of white wine and was impressed by the wine prices which were extremely reasonable - 24 euro for a bottle of Gavi di Gavi.

So, everything was great but...

the Greek waiter needs to get intimate with a bar of soap, if possible in his shower, and buy a good anti-perspirant, one whiff of his armpits was enough to completely put me off my dinner.

And Mr Creutz, I hope you will offer me a glass of Sekt the next time I come to make up for the flat one I had.

Otherwise, I loved this restaurant, would give it a star and will definitely come back.

1  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

Great food with very fair prices. I would recommend it to everyone! Very calm and comfortable atmosphere and great service!