“Making the most of a small, older property”

Cerano Hotel Koln City
Ranked #125 of 263 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 14 December 2015

We had a great experience at the Cerano. We got to town late and without reservations. The low price had me a bit nervous, but no need. The room and bath were were clean and well-appointed with armchairs as well as a desk. The bath had no tub, but was outfitted with washcloths - a surprise in Germany. I don't think I'd want to spend days on end in the room, but with Köln at our feet the room is for sleeping.

The hotel is in a quiet neighborhood without services, but it is only a 10-minute walk to the Dom, with restaurants on the way. The staff is doing a great job with this older, city hotel. From reception to breakfast, we encountered cheerful helpful smiles. The breakfast was a treat on it's own. Fresh squeezed juices and 4 types of eggs, fresh vegetables, fruit and a delightful pear cake, it was almost too pretty to eat.

Room Tip: No problem getting wifi code for multiple devices - just ask
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 August 2015

The location of this small hotel is very good and it is nice to be able to park at the hotel, the rest is rather bad or mediocre. We payed €450,- for one night with 3 persons. For this amount, we got a cramped room, without airconditioning and a tiny bathroom. The elevator in the building is made to fit 4 midgets and smells like one of those midgets was death for a week or so. Breakfast was something you would not expect to get for €450,-. The diary products where warm and other food was swarmed with fruitfly's. The coffe tasted like sewer water.

Room Tip: Look for another hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
4  Thank Simon_Gr2015
Reviewed 27 May 2015

Small room, but clean. TV hangs too high so you can't watch from your bed. Breakfast was little too but ok, but in a dark room without any window. It was ok for just one night but we already
had better hotels for the same price.
Wifi is just for one person at a time, with a coupon.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2015

The hotel is in a very good region, very beautiful. The breakfast was good enough. Our room was disappointing, small and not very modern, as whole hotel and not cozy. The staff was helpfull and kind. I really appreciated it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Chose hotel based on TA reviews. Cologne isn't a cheap place for hotels, but I expected a minimum standard for the price. The cons just outweigh the pros. My main gripe was the noise and inability difficulty to sleep (see cons)

Didn't find the staff that friendly. I asked about local attractions and the owner said to visit the Tourist Info office. When I was asking for a bottle of water (holding an empty one in my hand), the girl (who spoke only german) sighed and rolled her eyes.

My one positive from this stay was the amazing breakfast spread they had. Great variety and tasted very nice. The lady there preparing breakfast was also very nice and friendly. I'd come here to pay for breakfast, but not for a room.

Pros
- Good location
- good size bathroom (although bedroom size is average/small)
- free water and fruit
- the breakfast spread is amazing!

Cons
- I didn't find the staff to be friendly, and have limited english
- room is small and not well soundproofed, can hear roadside cars
- the bed springs squeeked loudly as you moved during sleep
- room became quite stuffy and you wouldn't want to open windows due to the noise
- not alot of spare electrical outlets to charge devices

Important stuff
- wifi is free but they print you individual coupons. Can only be used on one device and the girl at reception refused to give me more
- bathroom is clean and decent water pressure
- toiletries were the large refill bottles
- Would I stay here again? No (I'd rather pay much more and get a better nights sleep)

Room Tip: Internet tip - if you need additional internet vouchers, just return when there is a different perso...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paul N
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Horrible .. Rooms are very small and breakfast is less than normal
Not too far from Dom but there are many options better
I will never visit this place again and I warn everyone to keep it away in his trip plan
By the way .. I learned from my mitake .

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Abdullah A
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were pleased with the location of this hotel as it was within easy walking distance of the Cathedral and restaurants. However, we did not sleep well as the hotel itself was uncomfortably warm at all times (even when it was raining outside). There was no air conditioning, only a desk fan in the room. The room was rather small and we spent as little time as possible in the room. The wifi worked intermittently in the room and we went to the lobby to get a better signal. The staff were friendly at all times and the breakfast was fine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple