“Probably one of best choice in that area”

Altstadthotel Lowenbrau
Ranked #171 of 262 Hotels in Cologne
Reviewed 26 October 2014

Close to Dom / Railway station / Beer museum / shopping streets / view to Rin , clean room, and a very good restaurant with an excellent coffee. Absolutely nothing to complain for a 3 start hotel, except maybe the price (200 Eur /night) - due to positioning (probably) .
Must go in restaurant even if you have another hotel .
Lady from reception absolutely kind and helpful (blonde one).

Room Tip: Due to open restaurant up to 3 AM probably a room at 3-rd level can be an advantage. View to Rin...
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 October 2014

We did not stay at the hotel. Stopped at the restaurant in back for lunch with co-workers. Service was so-so. The food was mediocre. The steak special was bone-in but after the bone and fat were removed there was not much meat left. The wiener schnitzel was dry and likely started out frozen. The pizzas were tasty. The view of the river was nice, but there are likely better places to eat along the river.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2014

Was here late summer. We had the last room available with view on the Rijn for just 70 euro or so . Room was spacious, and equipped with large flatscreen. Especially the friendliness and the service in the restaurant was fantastic. Location is ideal for sightseeing and shopping.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The area is nice if you like walking on the banks of the river. Otherwise, just not worth staying there.
I booked a single bedroom, which has a bed (luckily), a full desk, a chair, and a bathroom, according to the website. The room I was offered had no desk, nor even a small table. Just the room for a cheap armchair next to the single bed. What I was offered instead was a room WITH a desk but WITHOUT a bathroom - for the same price! They also said I could not be refunded and go somewhere else, which I asked for. Of course the owner was nowhere to be seen, and the girl at the reception was new, and overwhelmed.
Oh, and the reception is a tiny corner: they have a lot of room, but on the customer side you can hardly stand, so with backpacks or suitcase, all you want is to move on as quick as possible. After crossing a restaurant area with your luggage, not really what you want. And the narrow street on which some rooms open can be pretty noisy, when not smelling of heavily fat food.
Just look somewhere else, maybe further away from the river, e.g. close to the Philarmony, or around Rudolfplatz, where hotel owners treat you more decently.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Simon P
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Perfect location in Cologne. If you are okay with having to walk a couple blocks with luggage to get to the hotel and then have to carry bags up a few flights of stairs (we were on the 5th floor / top floor) then this is a perfect place to be. The restaurant itself downstairs is nice and has a nice breakfast buffet in the morning you can buy. The hotel rooms are actually quite spacious and very clean.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Do not use this hotel. For one thing it's not especially pleasant (the bathrooms on the other side of the corridor are not properly ventilated and extremely hot and quite grubby). The local carpark is not that local, and the wifi is lousy and expensive.

More significantly the management of this hotel are dishonest. I'm currently fighting them for repayment of a second illegal payment after they debited card twice.

The long story is that. They gave me a card for a card for the local carpark which didn't work. With other cards behind me I was forced to take a paper ticket. I gave them the paper ticket when I returned to the hotel. They said this was no problem. The next day as I was leaving they blamed me, accused me of breaking the card, demanded that I pay both their fee and the carpark's own fee and demanded money for an alleged other 'guest' who now needed the card (there was no other guest). After arguing for 30 minutes I called the police and was finally able to leave.

When I returned home I discovered they'd sent me an incoherent and deceitful email - and that they'd debited my card twice. Appalling.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank J K
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Upon entering the Lowenbrau restaurant one is instantly charmed! We booked this hotel on a whim for one night and wished we had more time to stay, the staff was helpful in our late check in and early check out by having the staff at the restaurant grant us our keys. Although we had a few flights of stairs and several locks to undo before making it to our room we were more than pleased! Wonderful view of the River, exceptionally large room and bathroom and to top it off we were given a nice discount at the restaurant underneath our room! Quaint without being too small and definitely in a fabulous location to the Cologne center, we would definitely return here when we have more time!

• Stayed: May 2014