“Comfortable and friendly with a lovely garden”
Review of Villa Viktoria

Villa Viktoria
Ranked #55 of 240 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My colleague booked me into the Villa Viktoria with apologies: none of the major hotels had available rooms due to a series of large congresses in Duesseldorf. But he need't have as Villa Viktoria turned out to be a delightful place to stay with a tranquil old-world field, large comfortable rooms furnished with a library, a lovely and tranquil garden, friendly staff, and a plate of cookies and other goodies in the lobby. I couldn't have been more delighted and when I return to Duesseldorf, will ask to stay in the Villa Viktoria.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Finem50

Reviewed 13 December 2010

From the moment we stepped into our suite we were so pleased. Huge rooms with the children downstairs - clean - friendly staff - a short taxi ride into Dusseldorf - could not fault it. The children enjoyed the sweets and cakes from the reception !!!

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank MacFudge
Reviewed 20 November 2010

The hotel is the only suite hotel in Düsseldorf - rooms are 60 sqm. and larger and equipped with everything including a small kitchen. All is modern, though the building itself is an old villa beautifully restored. Rooms are absolutely sound proof and windows open - no noise to be heard.
With only 40 suites, service is very personal and top notch. Breakfast is a delight - a huge buffet with everything you can imagine - and if it´s not there, the service staff prepares it for you.
The hotel is not directly in the city center, but with taxi it takes 10 minutes there, to the aiport 12 minutes - there is also convenient tram service round the corner.
Stayed there over a weekend - rate was below 100 euros which was a real bargain.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank golferteam
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I selected this hotel from what people said on Tripadvisor. For me, it was reasonably priced, my room was huge, the staff were very helpful. There is a great breakfast available, but it is 20E. It is situated in a quiet area, and the area seems to be working class. It is a convenient 10min tramride to central Dusseldorf and not too far from the airport.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank BrisChic
Reviewed 23 August 2010

they claim the hotel has only suites:
too bad that our room, to make it a suite, was a single space with the bed boxed in a wooden structure. The result of that is that the bed room had NO WINDOWS! practically a cell.

also the rest of the hotel is not that elegant and special. quite disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Whilst this hotel is not so central as its in a residential street, the rooms are so enormous it was beyond words. They were like a small apartment. Clean,well fitted, and all together a great hotel, staff were extremely friendly, breakfast brilliant. Not much to fault actually. EXCEPT we were there when it was 32 degrees celcius and the rooms have no air conditioning so we sweated to death that evening.
Would certainly recommend the hotel as long as its not in a hot evening.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank rothsberg
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I stayed at this hotel in November for the big A + A show. As always, I am breaking my review down to the great, good, bad, and ugly and offering some 'bottom line' comments. Then, I will answer what I think should be THE review question for any hotel - would I stay there again(?) Here goes . . .

GREAT

* You can still feel some 'old world European' elegence at this hotel which is nearing its 100 year anniversary (est. 1914). While 'left behind' in other areas, this hotel does retain a large measure of it's historic elegance.

* The staff are very helpful - every housekeeper and front desk person I encountered was very friendly, lovely, and eager to help. I also had a question or two about the area (location of ATM, restaurant, etc.) that was answered cheerfully without the condescing sneer I have come across at other Euro hotels (sorry to say, but true)

GOOD

* The facilities are relatively nice - like the downstairs sauna. The ladies at the front desk came down and turned the sauna on for me prompty when requested, which I REALLY enjoyed (be familiar with attire norms)

* At this price point, the rooms are larger than average in terms of size. They are also very well equipped (my room had a refrigerator and even a hide-away stovetop)

* The bathroom was another plus - I really liked the heated drying rack as I like to pack as light as possible to Europe and sink wash often.

* Location (some good some bad) - on the good side, there is closeby transportation via the street tram route that runs to and from the U78 / U79 u-bahn line. This is a good option while attending a show.

BAD

* So far this is a good review - and I don't want to change course but this hotel is listed here on tripadvisor as a four-star . . . uh, not!

* Temperature - this was kind of a sticking point in November. The only covering the bed had was one very thick comforter - I was sweating bullets with it on and cold with it off - and the room's temperature control was not very powerful. This was not a big deal and something that could have been remedied with a simple sheet, but it was not an option. And . . . a hallway window was left open at all hours because . . .

UGLY

* I stayed on the fifth floor at the end of a hallway and - from the moment I arrived I noticed an odor in the hallway (not so much in my room) that was slightly . . . septic. My guess is there was some kind of plumbing issue during or before my stay. By the end of my four days it appeared to have been remedied as the odor had died down considerably (I'm sure this was just a temporary issue).

BOTTOM LINE

* Many of the reviews I write on this site have to be written quickly - as some properties are not 'memorable'. This is a hotel you will remember long after your stay. It has a nice feel that most hotels must have had several decades ago, but don't come looking to be spoiled.

* For those of you that prefer to be in the 'middle of the action', you might want to try something near the Konigsallee (you'll pay more) but if you are looking for a nice, convenient hotel you'll do fine with this one.

Now, for THE question . . . would I stay there again? Well, I hope to attend the A + A show again in October 2011 so . . . yes, I probably will stay there again.

Feel free to contact me with questions.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank ShoelessJeff