“Modern and excellent location!”
Review of Max Hotel Garni

Max Hotel Garni
Ranked #29 of 239 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We recently traveled to Dusseldorf to take part in the Karnivale festivities. Max Hotel Garni was just located down the street from our friend's apartment and about a 10-minute walk from the train station. There are some fun bars in the neighborhood.

We arrived at 10 p.m. on a Friday night and had made prior arrangements for our arrival. The key was in the box like Bilgi had told us. Easy!

Breakfast was an ample spread of juices, breads, cereal, deli meats and cheese, and either hard-boiled eggs or scrambled. Love the instant cappuccino machine!

Overall, a lovely weekend get-away! Definitely take the time to go walk along the river. There are some cute cafes near there too.

Just be warned: almost everything, minus some restaurants, is closed on Sundays in Dusseldorf! So if you want to do some shopping, be sure to do it on another day.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gerberagirl76

Reviewed 14 February 2012

All the little extra touches are just great - from the array of books and quirky really different salt and pepper sets, the computer to use upstairs and the plants outside, to the coffee and fridge with beer and water in that you can help yourself to, as there's no bar.

The owner translated the Goethe saying on the wall for us, and was incredibly friendly and helpful, as well as being mych better at English than I am at German!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank SueAndersons
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My wife made our reservations based on Trip Advisor. So I didn't know what to expect.

The hotel is located downtown (just like everyone else has said), and doesn't have a typical hotel front. It is more of a boutique style hotel. Petra met us at the front desk and checked us in, then showed us our rooms. We got two rooms for the four of us, 19 and 20. One was larger than the other (get 20). The rooms were very clean (a nice change from the last hotel I stayed), and the bathrooms were extraordinarily spotless. I wish I could have taken the shower home with me, because it is nicer than the ones I have at home! They were nice and big for European standards. In the bathrooms were cool little first aid kits mounted on the wall with emergency supplies for the bathroom. Nice touch, I thought. On each bed was a little candy the room had great flat screen televisions and wireless internet. The beds were comfortable, and I slept like a rock both nights we were there.
Petra then showed us the main floor where breakfast is served, the coffee machine is available all day, and a refrigerator that is stocked with soda, water and beer (free with your room). There is also a sitting area, were we spent an evening playing backgammon and other games that were available to use.
We then went to park the car. Just go park in a parking garage. I took twenty minutes to find the one three blocks away. This had more to do with me arguing with our GPS than how difficult it was to find. The second day, it took three minutes.
The breakfast was great! Maybe I just love eating, but I couldn't wait for breakfast. The coffee was great, the breads were great, the jams and jellies were great, the meat was good, and the eggs were awesome! We all had hard/soft boiled eggs, and they came in the traditional egg cup holder thingy. I'm a traditional American, and crack the egg by whacking it on something and peel it. However, Petra taught me how to eat like a gentleman. Apparently, there is an egg spoon, and an egg cracking device. This thing makes a perfect circular crack around the top, then you lift the top off and eat the egg. If you don't follow what I'm saying, then make reservations and have Petra show you. It's ingenious.
Petra also gave us the Dusseldorf card, that was for local train, trams and buses. That is nice to have. One night we talked with Petra and discovered the history of the hotel. What an awesome story. I could give it away, but then you'd have nothing to ask Petra when you get there!
We loved it.

Room Tip: room 20 was slightly larger.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank 47Driver
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is a great little boutique hotel (less than 20 rooms) located 3 blocks from the main train station in Duesseldorf. The desk is not always staffed, so if you're arriving at an odd hour, make prior arrangements. Also, there is one flight of stairs up to the rooms, and no elevator, so not wheelchair friendly.

Now for the positives, and there are a lot of them!
The owner, Petra, is very friendly and helpful, with lots of tips on things to do and see and eat.
The breakfast is standard European breakfast, cold meats/cheeses with a variety of breads and cereals and milk/o.j./apple juice.
There is a great cappuccino/espresso machine (free) that is available all day, as well as a small fridge stocked with cokes and water and beer (also free!)
Free wifi in the rooms, and a computer with printer in the hallway
Bonus: you get a pass to ride the public transportation system while you're staying there!
The rooms are small but adequate...I don't really spend a lot of time in the room aside from sleeping, and it's good for that!

Make sure you try her husband's restaurant around the corner, Essbar!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank grad98cofc
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Max Hotel in Dussledorf, what a fantastic Hotel it is lovely and clean I was in a good size single with a medical cabinet which had a new toothbrush and toothpaste etc if you did not bring any, there was free coffee, beer, coke and bottled water, in the dining room area the continental breakfast is very good with fresh fruit cereal, lovely fresh rolls and ham and cheese plus you could have boiled or scambled egg. The young girl who greeted us when we arrived is lovely and so so helpful nothing was too much trouble. When we arrived we was given a 2 day bus pass which you could use any time of day and night we even used it to get back to the airport. If I go back to Dusssledorf I would certainly stay in the Max hotel again.

Room Tip: No problem with any of the rooms we stayed in
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Pauline550
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Just come back from a brilliant 2 days at the Christmas markets. Hotel was excellent all round, great service and helpful owner, clean and great location

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Brightonblu
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Modern style hotel near the shopping center. very very friendly & helpful staff.
wide selection on the breakfast
free internet
so spacious & clean rooms. Extra large balcony not noisy city center
highly recommended. We will come back..................................................................

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple