See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 4, 2018

I come often to the North of Essen and usually use Airbnb, but all my usual places were not available, so I decided to stay at the Ibis Budget Nord. Never again. I am not spoiled and don't need much, but for the service and amenities offered the price is too much. I booked for four days. I checked in at the computer without a problem (although later I saw that the computer froze). However, the computer check-in is only good for the first night (which I overlooked, my mistake). The next morning the manager at the reception did not remind me of that issue and I wasn't able to get into the hotel that night. Had to sleep in the car! However, that didn't keep them from charging that night to my credit card. I asked them why they couldn't call me or send an email, the answer was that that kind of service is not included in the service of a ` star hotel (but charging the card is easy, so that is included). Also, after I came back the first night, the door to my room was open and the manager blamed me, but I was sure that I closed it and checked that it was closed (I first asked to change to code for the door, which they cant do, but got a new room. But the manager failed to inform me of the issue with the payment).
The room is clean, but the shower and toilet reminded me of those in an RV. The sink was across the room from the toilet, so not very practical and there was no trash bin next to the toilet. The entry area of the hotel and the hallways smelled of cigarette smoke. Not very pleasant.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2018

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed May 10, 2018

We used this as an overnight stay while travelling to Poland. I chose it as it was one of the cheaper options, had free parking and is a common 'brand'.
It does the job. Rooms are functional, clean, have a shower and toilet. Who cares if the shower is like a caravan...... if you want a fancy shower go and stay at the expensive Ibis! Don't book this place if you want the services of something double the price. Stop here if you need a room, bed and a shower. It felt safe and was quiet, despite being full. The staff were friendly, spoke enough English to get us booked in, and the breakfast was acceptable.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy L
Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

Rather than waste money, we choose Ibis Budget hotels because they offer all the essentials plus more. The Essen hotel is typically on an industrial estate, near to major roads and easy to locate. The rooms were spotless, the breakfast is an outstanding repast and we spent about 50% less than the Ibis brand leader.

No complaints, friendly service and we will continue to use the Ibis Budget group.o

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tim H
Reviewed November 19, 2017

evrything was broken only possible to get imn day time and with car do not take public transport than only taxi if you late than evrithink is broken and poeple by loudspeker no polita and you can not get in better escape from this hotel

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business