“Best Roast Chicken”

Cuisines: Diner, German
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2018

We had our fill of pork products after 10 days in Germany so searched for an alternative specialty which we found at Am Holztor in their Roast Chicken. It was amazing, and as others have mentioned, the roast potatoes that accompanied it, are not to be missed. Service was very tolerant of our bad german and lots of locales there as well. Overall, walk out of old town and find this restaurant.

Date of visit: September 2018
Jörn K, Inhaber at Am Holztor, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2018

Thank you for your great review. We are always happy when it tastes not only our German guests. We would be very happy to meet you again.

Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

The service was excellent, the ambiance so precious, NOT ambushed by tourists but had many regulars visiting, pricing very reasonable, and their fried potatoes ( Brat Kartoffeln) was the BEST I had ever eaten in my life. It accompanied my steak ( thanks to the very passionate waiter who strongly suggested the fried potatoes will be better than the French fries), and now I have been converted and truly say I like potatoes! Apparently, they are very careful with where they source their ingredients, and wow, were they delicious. My husband’s Sülze was delicious, and our neighbors’ schnitzels looked mouth-watering.
3 minutes walk to the Hyatt, 10 minutes to the Hilton, 10 minutes to the Dom but in a quiet residential neighborhood 1 minute from the Rhein river bank. The interior of the restaurant is so authentically traditional, it makes you nostalgic for the good old days. We will definitely go back there again!

Date of visit: September 2018
JoernKarner, Inhaber at Am Holztor, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2018

Dear Omusubi,
thank you very much for your review.
So happy to read, you enjoyed our food and service!
Happy holidays.

Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

Thank you Trip Advisor for having sent us to this wonderful restaurant
Food was excellent. Service by Dominic was perfect. Hope to come back some day

Date of visit: August 2018

Thanks, gmoy, for leaving this review here at tripadvisor.
I'll let Dominic know about your kind words ;o)
We would be happy to welcome you again one day!
Happy holiday...

Reviewed May 23, 2018 via mobile

I have been wanting to go to Am Holtzor for dinner in over two years but I either go to MAINZ on Mondays when they are closed or end up at Stadthaus Schänke with other airline crew members. You should know that International airline crews flying to Frankfurt stay in Mainz and like truckers, we know good food!

Although I love the food at Stadthaus Schänke, Am Holztor has the best schnitzel in town and I don’t know what they cook their pomme frites in (duck fat?!), but they are delicious. I see no reason to ever go anywhere else unless they are closed but this is now one of my favorite restaurants in the WORLD!!!

I found the service to be intolerant of Ugly Americans but that is a good thing in my opinion! Just order the schnitzel and a beer or wine and sit back and enjoy being served by what will become your family away from home.

Just fantastic...

Date of visit: May 2018
JoernKarner, Inhaber at Am Holztor, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2018

Wow, Isoar, what a great review! Thanks for that! I hope, you are not disappointed to hear, that we use regular fat for the fries? ;)
I have to admit, I do not understand the meaning of the sentence with the "ugly americans", since we treat all our guests the same, maybe next time you can explain that?
Thanks again and we're glad to welcome you back one day!

Reviewed May 15, 2018

Didn't realize there was a patio, but it was getting dark and we were put at a nice big table inside. The food came out promptly and the portions were so generous we couldn't eat it all and they asked if we would like them to pack it up for us, but unfortunately, we didn't have the means to eat it leftover (hotel). Great service. After dinner they gave us some complimentary shots of some green liqueur. It was tasty.

Date of visit: April 2018

Dear Chris, thanks for your nice review! For your next visit please be informed, that most of our dishes are available as a small portion too, so there should be no leftovers. I am happy, you were satisfied with our service.
Hope to see you sometime again!