“Decent food, good price, but...”

Kartoffel Restaurant Kiste
Ranked #7 of 335 Restaurants in Trier
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 30, 2018

I have eaten here numerous times, and most of the times I was very happy with both the quality of the food, and also the price.

The problem of this restaurant is the staff. One of the waiters that usually serves us is super friendly and competent, some others, not so much. And some are outright terrible and rude.

A recent example: my wife, my in-laws and myself went to eat there in December. The place was packed and the waiters stressed, and they were pushy to get tables cleared for the next guests. So eating was not very relaxed to begin with.

One of the waitresses spilled her whole tray of drinks on my mother in law. She, as well as a lady on the neighboring table got soaked. Her clothing, her purse, some bags, wet.

Accidents can happen, but the way the waiter solved this was terrible. Instead of apologizing properly, he basically just said "this happens, but hey, we're going to be mighty generous, and offer dry cleaning for the clothing".

Okay, so their idea of making things right is to pay for the damage they did, that's it? No gesture of goodwill? Nothing?

We weren't expecting a free meal, but we had a three course menu and to at least take off the coffees or some beverages from the total would have been adequate.

At least we were still better off than the other wet folks at the neighbor table, when the lady complained that she too was wet and needed attention, the waiter basically told her to shut it until he had time for her. Nice!

So overall, my verdict is, is you like traditional food, this is a nice place with good prices, just pray that you will also get one of the good waiters, otherwise you're experience might turn out to be terrible.

1  Thank Mister_Djerus
Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed January 26, 2018

This is a great introduction to German food, with a largely English speaking staff, and English explanations on the menu. The food is very tasty and well presented. The restaurant is comfortable with plenty of seating. Been there twice in the last couple of months and both times had a great experience.

Reviewed January 18, 2018

Ate here with my family and the meal were really good for a very reasonable price. I got the baked potato which was ok, but my brother-in-law got the schnitzel and it was incredible!!!

Reviewed January 16, 2018

Doesnt look very special. Decoration i mean, but the food is redicilous good. You must visit this one.

1  Thank CarlosSebastianos
Reviewed December 30, 2017 via mobile

Decent food, lot of choice in what they describe as a potato restaurant. Plenty of typical German dishes for a very good price. Service is friendly, almost too friendly. We were there for lunch and it was extremely busy. Wouldn’t go there for a relaxed meal. But for a quick decent lunch it was better than average good.

2  Thank DirkVos