All reviewsindoor poolminute walkwellness facilityindependent hotelresidential areabreakfast was amazingsteam roomoverlooking trierthree nightslarge bedsmall hotelmoselle valleyexcellent hotelfamily run hotelbreakfast buffetoldest towninteresting city
Reviewed August 14, 2017

My wife and I stayed for two nights At Villa Hugel. We arrived early from Bonn, and though our room wasn't yet ready, we simply left our bags in the car and took off to explore the beautiful city of Trier on foot. The nearest attraction, the Imperial Baths, is only about 12 minutes walk, and others come in quick succession.

After several enjoyable hours we made our way back to the hotel, but were met by a downpour about 3 minutes out. My wife had a poncho and didn't rush, but i arrived first to claim our room, resembling (I expect) a drowned rat. Apparently such unfortunates are still welcome at HVH, because the young lady at the front desk was very solicitous, and checked us in with dispatch.

Over the next 2 days we enjoyed two excellent breakfasts and one dinner, as well as discussing the finer points of medieval human-powered cranes and getting pointers on a few of the city's many attractions from the staff. The room, the meals, the service, the advice and the insights were all impeccable.

When celebrating a special occasion (and the closing days of our first trip to Northern and Central Europe qualify as special, I think) large, impersonal and expensive aren't our preferred kind of venue. HVH more closely fits what we have in mind.

In a longer stay we would have made more use of the amenities. As it was, however, we were delighted with our stay.

As an added courtesy, we needed to leave about 1pm to keep an appointment in Frankfurt. That left us about 2 1/2 to three hours in the morning to visit the German National Museum nearby; it has excellent exhibits on the Roman history of Trier. The hotel staff allowed us to leave our car until our departure, keeping our bags in the trunk, and getting our room early so they could clean. A win-win, and a much appreciated courtesy upon our departure.

We would be delighted to return again.

Room Tip: We were told that the Hamburg Room (our room) is one of two Standard rooms to offer a balcony, and it overlooks the old city. See photo.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed August 11, 2017

We used this hotel for an overnight stay on our way to Oberjoch in the Allgau. What a beautiful place, great room and superb service. We have a 6 year old son and the Florence room was great. There is a special space with a single bed and a nice patio to sit outside. We had dinner in their restaurant which was high standard. Breakfast too, so much choice. The staff is very helpful and friendly. We visited Tried many years ago. It is a charming city and a nice part of Germany

Room Tip: Florence room is perfect when you need an extra bed
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2017 via mobile

Charming hotel just outside the city centre with a wonderful terrace overlooking Trier. The rooms are beautiful, the staff is very friendly and the breakfast is just amazing. I also loved the pool and sauna facilities. I will definitely come back next time!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2017

A second stay, 5 years later; the hotel continues to be just super ... rooms, breakfast, dinner ... fabulous kind staff. Just marvelous, within walking distance to the archeological museum and the Basilica of Constantine.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2017

Stayed here in early July with my wife and daughter for three nights. I cannot think of any aspect of Hotel Villa Hügel that wasn't first class. The property was spotlessly clean, the staff were tremendously helpful, and the room was spectacular.

We had a room called "Florenz" which was on their lower level. It had a double bed for my wife and I, and a single bed tucked away in an alcove for my daughter. There was also a very private outdoor terrace with a table and chairs and a chaise lounge. It did not have a view of Trier like some of the other rooms, but it was shady and very peaceful. The bathroom was huge, modern, and clean, with a tub, double sink, and a separate walk in shower. There was a nice small basket of goodies also waiting for us in the room (a few cookies, fruit, and some candies - nice touch!).

It's an easy ten minute walk into the pedestrian area of Trier - slightly uphill on the way back, but nothing overly strenuous. We never drove to the shopping area - the walk was very easy. There was also a pub and another restaurant just a short two minute walk away in the neighborhood. The restaurant - Altes Brauhaus - was actually pretty good.

There was some construction going on while we were there, but I found it to be pretty unobtrusive. It certainly didn't disrupt our stay in any way.

We also used the indoor pool and sauna/steam room during our stay. Again, very clean, modern, and well taken care of. And they give you ample towels in the room and robes for when you use the facilities.

We had dinner one night in the hotel restaurant which was very good, and breakfast each morning was very filling with a wide variety of choices. They also will cook eggs for you in whatever style you want, including omelettes.

I'm pretty picky about hotels (especially about cleanliness), and I can honestly say I can't find even the smallest thing to nitpick about when it comes to Hotel Villa Hügel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family