“Excellent location”

Ranked #6 of 118 Hotels in Dresden
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
Reviewed 8 May 2012

A large hotel with good rooms (ours had a WC separate from the bathroom), and well equipped except there was nothing to put in the bath (only shower gel provided). And the beds were the usual uncomfortable firm type offered in so many hotels. We were lucky enough to be able to take breakfast outside in the huge courtyard at the back of the hotel as it was sunny. The food on offer was full of variety and well presented. Hot food was carefully monitored by staff in order to ensure it kept hot for guests, and the waiting staff were attentive and efficient. It's a large hotel, very conveniently located, with helpful Reception staff. Nothing spectacularly memorable about this hotel however, apart from the sentry box at the front occupied sometimes by a porter.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank NancyArmstrong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 8 May 2012

As part of my 10-day car trip in Germany I spent one night at this hotel checking in on May 4th, 2012. My invoice number was 490516. The room was good, have no complaints about it but the rest of the experience was terrible, to say the least. The lady who led us to the room got lost in the hotel, she explained that by saying that she was new on the job. She did not explain anything about the room. When I asked her when the Dresden gallery opens The only reason we came to Dresden), she told us that it opens at 8 am. When she left, the porter who overheard the conversation, said that the gallery opens at 10 am, and he was correct. Later in the day we decided to have dinner at the hotel restaurant. Intermezzo. The waitresses and the captain were very nice but that was the only good thing about this restaurant and at the end the captain got very embarrassed and had to take two dishes off our bill. Still the bill came to over 70 euros for two. That's with two glassses of wine and a cocktail. My soup was oversalted and they replaced it with a simple salad, and the steak came well-done while I ordered medium-rare. My friend ordered duck and got chicken instead. When we asked the captain whether that was duck on the plate, he said they did not have duck and he was shocked the waitress offered us duck. Her English was pretty good though. However, the person who wrote the English menu confused the pea soup with pear soup. I had to ask several questions before I got it right. Next morning we had a breakfast at this restaurant. The same captain wanted to make me happy and asked if I want to make a special order and I ordered fried eggs. I never got them while the captain said that it would take 10 minutes. The green tea that my friend ordered arrived by the time we finished the breakfast. I saw other guests helplessly waiting for their drinks, asking again and finally getting two cups of coffee or tea but 20 minutes later. Planning to spend some time at the art gallery and another museum, before going to bed I decided to ask if I get a late check out, at 1-2 pm. First, I was told that they could not do that because they were fully booked, but then they offered me to stay for extra 15 euros per hour. This was the first time in my life I have been asked to pay extra money for late check out. I refused. Now the most terrible part. At around four o'clock in the morning I woke up from the sound of an opening door. I jumped out of the bed in fear and ready to punch an intruder. Without touching a man who entered the room, I firmly asked him to leave. He was an old German man, apparently a lunatic. He opened the door with his own key confusing my room with his own. I pushed him out and called the reception to tell them about the accident. They almost laughed at me. Ten minutes later a hotel staff knocked on my door although I had a Do not disturb sign. I opened the door and saw the hotel porter and an old lady. Without apologising, the porter asked me if I still had that old lunatic in my room as his wife was worried about her husband whereabouts. I could not sleep for another hour or so and had a headache for a few hours next day. Next morning I asked to see the general manager of the hotel. This guy came smiling and looking super happy. When I asked him if he was aware of what has happened that night, he said yes but without any apologies and sympathy demanded that I tell him "my side of the story." Instead of apologising and offering some solution, he started arguing with me over how the old man could get into the room. What did I get from Kempinski for this terrible experience ? They waived a parking fee of 20 euros or so. The manager of this hotel pretty much ruined the whole day for me and seriosuly damaged the Kempinski image in my eyes. Keep in mind, I stayed two previous nights at Kempinski Munich and was generally satisfied with a 1,700 euro experience there. So you should think twice before choosing to stay at this totally mismanaged Dresden hotel.There are several good hotels around that area.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Michael G
Team_Taschenberg, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Mr. G,

we received you feedback from your stay at the Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden. We do not agree with your rating and we will review each point of your statement internally. Afterwards we will contact you.

Kind regards,

the team of the Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden
St Petersburg
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I have been staying at this amasing hotel Kempinski Taschenbergpalais for 3 days during my visit to Dresden. First of all I have fallen in love with the building - its a real palace even during our days and you feel yourself like a Queen walking on the red carpet towards the main entrance...The location is perfect - right in the center. The room is just gorgeous, with the perfect view and amasing, comfortable bed...and absolutally spotless!!!.All the employees, starting from the Doorman, front desk, waiters at breakfast, chambermaids are always smiling and wishing you a nice day. The food in the restaurants is just prefect and their dessert creme brulee.....I still have it in my dreams!!! Needless to say that I will definitely be back to this amasing hotel and I want to thank the General Manager and all the Team of this wonderful place of making my stay the most enjoyable one!!!! You definitely know how to make a fairytale coming true!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank NataliaUsova
Luzern, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We combined two packages: one including tickets to museums and another with a private guide in Meissen. The disappointment started upon arrival: the receptionist had no idea about the packages and how long we were to stay. No "this-is-your-program-envelope" with the tickets and the concierge had no clue either. Not really professional.
Moreover, there is hardly any advantage if you're booking the package as there are acceptable queues in the museums if you're early enough and as the package does not include what clearly is the most interesting piece, the time-slot-alotted tickets to the old Grünes Gewölbe.
Our room faced the Zwinger (358). It was clean and surprisingly large. The style can be described as a mix of local tradition, Art Deco and the occasional "international hotel chain"-mishap.
Alas, the TV was minuscule and, as it is hidden in a cupboard on the side, can't be viewed properly from the bed. Its position makes it also hard to control with the remote.
The rather small bathroom was the big disappointment: a cheap shower stall with a shower head last seen in army barracks (no kidding).
The mattresses are Tempur - the special foam. I prefer definitely my spring-box, but it was OK to try.
Having spent all day long on the road, we went for dinner to the Bistro within the hotel - avoid. Poor food for a rather steep price.
The breakfast buffet is very nice, large and frequently replenished. A good start for your day, so I suggest to make sure that it is included in your rate.
The Karl May bar was also really nice, it has a good singer and a very good choice of drinks.
The signature restaurant was on a decent level with good and efficient service.
My biggest disappointment is the missing free internet access - as so many hotel chains Kempinski seems to see this as a source of income, rather than as a basic comfort to be expected like hot water from the tap. They do charge a king's ransom for access and I believe that the rates are the most expensive ones that I have seen in hotel so far.
Overall it was a pleasant stay and the hotel staff was always friendly. But it was also quite distant from the Grand Hotel quality level that the hotel aims for - no personal service and we, at least, felt not like particularly welcomed guests but more like numbers, the way you may feel in a Hilton or Airport Marriott with several hundred rooms.

3 Thank molar67
Team_Taschenberg, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski, responded to this review, 3 May 2012
Dear molar67,

Regarding your stay at the Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden we are glad that you commented positively the friendliness of the staff, the Karl May Bar and the breakfast buffet.

We deeply regret the inconveniences you had during your stay at the Taschenbergpalais.
First we want to apologise for the manner the receptionist and the concierge were treating you and your questions. This is not the service quality we want to offer our guests. Please be sure that we will pass on your complaint to our front office manager.
In addition we are very sorry that the bathroom did not meet your expectations and your taste. We will check on the shower head you mentioned and will improve the facility accordingly.
Unfortunately we have to charge the WiFi internet access to our guests at moment. But be sure, that we are working on a more client-friendly solution.

Thanks a lot for your constructive feedback. Nevertheless we hope you had a pleasant stay in Dresden and we would be delighted to welcome you again.

Kind regards,

The Team of the Taschenbergpalais
Nottingham
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed 09-11 April 2012. There were many positives of the hotel (location, cleanliness, spa, bar, friendliness of most staff) however several nuisances spoilt the experience significantly:
- Standard Regenten rooms have problems with loud humming background noise of air conditioning and ventilation. It cannot be switched off.
- On one occasion room service food was requested at 23:25 and rudely refused by reception staff claiming it was 23:30 already (closing time for room service) when it was not.
- Background music in Intermezzo fine dining restaurant and in breakfast room is continuously repeating itself and this is annoying.

3 Thank A T
Team_Taschenberg, Manager at Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear A T,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your residence at the Hotel Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Dresden. We are pleased about your satisfaction with the location, cleanliness, spa, bar and especially the friendliness of our staff.

However we regret that there are certain aspects which were disturbing your stay.

First we would like to apologise for the technical problems you had with the air condition. Be sure that we will offer our guests a high standard of technical amenities. Therefore we will pass your feedback through to our technical department.

In addition it surely is not one of our service standards that you did not get your room service order after 23:30. As a consequence we will talk to our restaurant manager about your complaint. Also, we will discuss the music selection during the breakfast.

We are grateful about your comment because this is a chance for us to optimise our services. Nevertheless we hope you enjoyed your stay in Dresden and we would be delighted to welcome you again soon.

The team of the Taschenbergpalais
Vilseck, Germany
Reviewed 10 April 2012

An amazing experience...the staff treat you like royalty, the rooms are clean, big and comfortable, and the large breakfast spread is 100% worth waking up for!

The location is top notch - right across the street from Palace, Castle and Opera House. Everything else is well within walking distance.

The hotel's many restaurants are worth checking out and their bar is a wonderful place for a night cap (although pricy).

You can also easily park your car (valet) here for 20 eu (pretty average for european city hotels) and not worry about it again. The hotel did charge me another 6 eu for going over my time in the garage when I checked out - something I was unaware of and the hotel staff did not share with me.

Overall, strongly recommend for a luxury night or two in Dresden!

Room Tip: Ask for room packages, ensure breakfast is included in your room (worth it)